PDA

View Full Version : What airline would be next to shut down???

Delta777LR
2008-04-09, 01:52 PM
With quite a few airlines shutting down, what airline would we all see next to shut down?? I already understand that Champion Air is on the list to End on May 31st.. So who would the next be?

First: Aloha
Second: ATA
Third: Skybus
Fourth: Oasis Hong Kong
fifth: Soon to be Champion Air
whos the sixed ( as a guess)

cancidas
2008-04-09, 02:16 PM
didn't champion already shut down the same week as aloha and ata or did they just declare ch11?

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-09, 02:20 PM
I'm hearing the next possibilities are Midwest or Frontier.

Is Virgin America doing well? We haven't been hearing much from them...neither good nor bad.

Delta777LR
2008-04-09, 02:28 PM
didn't champion already shut down the same week as aloha and ata or did they just declare ch11?

Check out this thread about Champion Air shutting down on May 31st
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11232 (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11232)

lijk604
2008-04-09, 02:33 PM
I'm thinking Mesa. They have never been a leader in the regional group, and they are fighting to keep their 50 seater contract with DL (?).
Expressjet took a gamble going on their own, but they still do a ton of business for CO on the east coast & DL on the west coast.

Delta777LR
2008-04-09, 02:38 PM
I'm hearing the next possibilities are Midwest or Frontier.

Is Virgin America doing well? We haven't been hearing much from them...neither good nor bad.

Yea I did also hear something about Midwest Airlines too which could be a rumor but who knows for sure, I mean with fuel problems, the MD-80s would have something to do with it since they do kind of burn alot of fuel and plus they recently picked up a few more MD-80s as well so who knows.. I mean ,I would hate to see them go...

And there was something I also heard about Sun Country too..

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-09, 03:48 PM
Yes, I heard Sun Country wasn't doing well either.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-09, 04:47 PM
I doubt Virgin is doing very well. I also doubt Branson would allow the plug to be pulled as it would hurt his brand worldwide, and I think he knew the risks going in. Once V Australia links Sydney and LAX in a couple months he'll have the entire circumference of the world covered.

T-Bird76
2008-04-09, 05:04 PM
Matt, Brason shut down Virgin Brusells because it didn't do well. He's not affraid to cut off his losess before they mount.

Once the 1st quarter results come out we'll know who is the next one to shut down. It very well could be any of these airlines that have been mentioned here. Chances are Expressjet will shut down its branded operations which isn't a surprise or a real effect on the industry. I'd watch B6 as well, they have had a ruff time of it the past few years.

Iberia A340-600
2008-04-09, 06:18 PM
Matt, Brason shut down Virgin Brusells because it didn't do well. He's not affraid to cut off his losess before they mount.

Once the 1st quarter results come out we'll know who is the next one to shut down. It very well could be any of these airlines that have been mentioned here. Chances are Expressjet will shut down its branded operations which isn't a surprise or a real effect on the industry. I'd watch B6 as well, they have had a ruff time of it the past few years.

Tommy, Virgin Express (Brussels) was merged into SN Brussels to create Brussels Airlines.

The Virgin brand shut down Virgin Sun at some point after a not very successful run.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-09, 06:34 PM
I suspect Virgin America is more important, as the Virgin brand has never successfully penetrated (LOL) the US market...only a couple of Virgin Megastores remain, and the only people who buy Virgin Mobile prepaid phones are drug dealers and sleeper cells. :)

Of course Branson doesn't call all the shots here due to the DOT foreign ownership rules, so if his partners get cold feet, it could be over more quickly.

Once the 1st quarter results come out we'll know who is the next one to shut down.
This will only give us an idea of publicly traded carriers, like Frontier (FRNT (http://www.smartmoney.com/eqsnaps/?story=snapshot&symbol=FRNT)) and Mesa (MESA (http://www.smartmoney.com/eqsnaps/?story=snapshot&symbol=MESA)). We'll still be in the dark on privately held companies like Sun Country and Virgin America.

Iberia A340-600
2008-04-09, 06:39 PM
I suspect Virgin America is more important, as the Virgin brand has never successfully penetrated (LOL) the US market...only a couple of Virgin Megastores remain, and the only people who buy Virgin Mobile prepaid phones are drug dealers and sleeper cells. :)

Hey now, I use Virgin Mobile! :shock:

But yeah it's true, I think it's crap. :?

T-Bird76
2008-04-09, 07:32 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":cb48e]Matt, Brason shut down Virgin Brusells because it didn't do well. He's not affraid to cut off his losess before they mount.

Tommy, Virgin Express (Brussels) was merged into SN Brussels to create Brussels Airlines.

The Virgin brand shut down Virgin Sun at some point after a not very successful run.[/quote:cb48e]

Virgin Express was merged into SN Brussels because it wasn't making money.

I see F9 going away, they took it on the chin with Lynx.

LGA777
2008-04-09, 09:29 PM
What I would like to see happen that would be a win/win for everyone but that a-hole Orentstein. Mesa goes belly up. ExpressJet ends it branded flying and add's the CR9 to it's operating specs. It takes over US's CR9 Mesa Operations as well as the new DL Freedom CR9 ops. The excess 145's would be returned as leases expire, or if needed due a Chapter 11 and reject the leases right away. Or use them to replace US or UA CR2 flying. Thoughts !

F9 seems to have a decent amount of cash. so I am hoping they can weather this storm, as they are running a class operation with a dedicated workforce, to bad so much competition at their only hub.

While I don't see Sir Richard wanting the agnony of such an early failure they need to change one thing ASAP. VX has a growing but relatively low load factor and it seems a lot of people who want to try and maybe frequent their First Class product but never can cause it's usually full a few days in advance. Their current F Class legroom is way more than needed for a domestic product. Reduce it but still more than most domestic F class and make it 16-20 seats. If needed raise the F fares and this may help them to survive !

My two cents for tonight.

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-10, 07:28 AM
All excellent views and ideas, Ron!

Lezam
2008-04-10, 05:35 PM
I dont think Jetblue is going out this round, they have so many aircraft that they can just lease them off and stay afloat. Yell at me if im wrong, but I heard they own them all... so they have a great deal of liquid assets in case they get in a bind.

Smartass Flyboy
2008-04-11, 03:33 AM
Well it looks like F9 was the next contestant on Bowling for Bankruptcy. Their web site today states they filed for Chapter 11, but are still operating a full schedule.

http://www.frontierairlines.com/restructure/

Matt Molnar
2008-04-11, 09:23 AM
I dont think Jetblue is going out this round, they have so many aircraft that they can just lease them off and stay afloat. Yell at me if im wrong, but I heard they own them all... so they have a great deal of liquid assets in case they get in a bind.
They also just got a big injection of cash from Lufthansa so they're not going anywhere.