PDA

View Full Version : Spring BBQ on LI - June 28!

kc2aqg
2008-04-07, 03:54 PM
Hi Folks-

So I've spoken to Phil and have gotten the go-ahead to host a BBQ at my house on a given weekend during the spring. Since I start traveling for work around Memorial Day weekend for the summer, my options for dates are a bit limited, but I figured the first step is to get your input as to what date you guys think would work best.

FYI, this gathering is not at all limited to LI people. The Merrick LIRR station is 3 blocks from my house, easily walkable, cab-able ($3.50), and I'll be happy to provide lifts to/from the station. So please vote if you think you might want to attend. Also, I would venture to say that the BBQ is subject to good weather, since my backyard is a nice size, but the first floor of my house won't easily accommodate a lot of people in the event of weather.

adam613
2008-04-07, 03:58 PM
I'd prefer Sunday...thanks for voluteering to do this!

moose135
2008-04-07, 04:18 PM
Either 5/17 or 5/18 is good for me - 5/31 is the weekend of the McGuire air show.

T-Bird76
2008-04-07, 04:41 PM
The 31st work for me, the other dates I'll be away on biz. To be candid Andy I'd wait to June. The Weather in May still can be iffy.

flyboy 28
2008-04-07, 05:00 PM
Either 5/17 or 5/18 is good for me - 5/31 is the weekend of the McGuire air show.

Maybe meet at the airshow and then caravan back? Any date is good for me.

lijk604
2008-04-07, 05:46 PM
17 or 18 works for me, if I had my druthers, 17th is better, so I dont have to be "under the weather" the next day at work.

HPNPilot1200
2008-04-07, 06:12 PM
I have plans to attend a fly-in BBQ on the 17th, so May 31st works better for me. How far is your house from FRG? With traffic and all, it would probably be quicker to fly down, it's only a 6 minute flight from HPN.

eric8669
2008-04-08, 07:31 AM
17th and 18th are good for me. 31st is a no go as I am returning from St. Martin.

Eric

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-08, 08:29 AM
I don't know what my schedule will be in May, so I'll have to wait a couple weeks until I learn. But this sounds great. Thanks again for doing this!

kc2aqg
2008-04-08, 09:29 AM
Jason - You actually could fly into FRG, it's about 20 minutes from my house. If you could hitch a ride with someone (or make an arrangement with me to pick you up prior to everything starting), I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work, other than what the cost of parking your aircraft would be at FRG.

Tommy - I would love to wait until the summertime, but that's my busiest time of year and starting June 1, I'll be out of town Sunday - Friday each week with a bunch of weeks where I may not even come home on the weekends depending on the location. We won't know where we're going each week for a while yet, so I figured best to get the gathering going while I still can. If the weather happens to be poor on the date picked, we'll work something out where we can still get together (suggestions for an alternate location/restaurant welcome).

stuart schechter
2008-04-08, 11:56 AM
I'd love to attend. Because I can't drive THROUGH the boroughs, I will definately hitch the LIRR down. When you get a time, ill find a train.

pgengler
2008-04-08, 01:17 PM
Sunday definitely works best for me; I'll be out at the McGuire show on the 31st, most likely overnighting at my parents' place. On the 17th, I'll be out flying (should be my second flight lesson) in the afternoon, and with the Saturday afternoon traffic at the tunnels and in the city, I think I'd be lucky to make it there before 8.

MarkLawrence
2008-04-08, 01:48 PM
Damn...I think I need to see if I can organize a trip up north...let me try and sweet talk the wife into letting me come up for a weekend....when the date is firm..I'll see what I can do...it's time for a trip up there - May will have been a year....

HPNPilot1200
2008-04-08, 03:25 PM
Jason - You actually could fly into FRG, it's about 20 minutes from my house. If you could hitch a ride with someone (or make an arrangement with me to pick you up prior to everything starting), I don't see a reason why that wouldn't work, other than what the cost of parking your aircraft would be at FRG.

Ok, that would work. I'll have to see if I can hitch a ride from someone in the area. Parking the airplane at FRG is no problem, Sheltair doesn't charge anything and they have a ton of crew cars (not sure if I'm old enough to meet their insurance requirements though). I'll post something as the date gets closer. Obviously if the weather is bad, I'll just drive.

mirrodie
2008-04-08, 05:03 PM
17th and 18th are good for me. 31st is a no go as I am returning from St. Martin.

Eric

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: And yet the 17th and 18th don't work for us as we'll be in Sint Maarten too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

31st is possible but we are pulled in 800 directions that weekend anyway.

Whatever works for you Andre. :wink: We'll try to attend.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-04-08, 06:35 PM
17th or 18th works for me, if not earlier...

I'm working the McGuire airshow, so the 31st or 1st is a no-go for me...

kc2aqg
2008-04-15, 01:45 PM
Since the votes are about even for the 18th vs. the 31st, I think it would be more fair not to exclude those who are going to the McGuire Airshow. Unless there are any mass objections, I think Sunday the 18th will be the date. I'll post details as we draw a little closer.

Mark - if you decide to come up for that weekend, I'll be sure to set aside some time for spotting!

wunaladreamin
2008-04-15, 02:11 PM
Say Andy, can we bring some delicious frosted beverages made from fine imported barley and hops, fermented to tasty perfection? Inquiring minds would like to know.

kc2aqg
2008-04-15, 02:22 PM
Kenny-That all depends on which brand you're bringing! You are more than welcome to bring said beverages. I will definitely be providing some of the same as well. In fact, that's something I didn't think of. I guess I should come up with a list of common items that people can bring should they choose to...

wunaladreamin
2008-04-15, 02:27 PM
Amstel Lights - the only beer I drink. None of that sissy-mary Corona garbage or that Budweiser peepee water lol. There'll be Amstels aplenty lol.

T-Bird76
2008-04-15, 04:01 PM
Amstel Lights - the only beer I drink. None of that sissy-mary Corona garbage or that Budweiser peepee water lol. There'll be Amstels aplenty lol.

Wait....you just admitted to drinking Amstel Light but called Corona a sissy-mary beer? Let me tell you...you drop a shot of Bracadi Limon into a Corona give it a flip and the party gets started real fast! Its called a Fire Islander!

As it stands right now I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend, I might be heading to Vegas that day for work on Monday, but that could change. I might try to leave Monday morning

lijk604
2008-04-15, 09:13 PM
18th works for me. Let me know the details!

kc2aqg
2008-04-16, 10:44 PM
Well everybody, it would be just my luck that as soon as I pick a date, I find out about a hundred things happening in the family on the 18th and I won't be able to attend, let alone host an event. I wanted to let you all know early on before you go and change your schedules. I'm going to have to take a day to think about alternate dates that might work instead. I'll keep you all posted, and sorry for disrupting the plans...

moose135
2008-04-16, 11:58 PM
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/280676794_r6igv-L.jpg
"Never Mind"

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-18, 12:18 AM
Any Saturday works for me, I just learned.

Tommy, you ALWAYS used to drink Amstel Light, who are you kidding?

T-Bird76
2008-04-18, 09:44 AM
Any Saturday works for me, I just learned.

Tommy, you ALWAYS used to drink Amstel Light, who are you kidding?

AH no....I drank Amstel Light at your last Bday party because you can't get drunk off of it and that was it...I NEVER drink Amstel Light. I drink Stella all the time.

mirrodie
2008-04-18, 11:38 AM
Amstel, Corona, Stella.

You guys are all lightweights regardless. It's like listening to a bunch of 9th grade girls sissy talking.

:wink:

cancidas
2008-04-18, 11:56 AM
Amstel, Corona, Stella.

You guys are all lightweights regardless. It's like listening to a bunch of 9th grade girls sissy talking.

:wink:
HA HA!!

stuart schechter
2008-04-18, 12:50 PM
Yuengling...but you never heard that from me.

mirrodie
2008-04-18, 01:14 PM
Lager- Grolsch
Stella Artois
Holsten Pils
Heineken
Leffe
XXXX
Yuengling
Blue Point

They are all good. Heck, even Amstel Light and Corona (which translates as "cat piss for gringos, with a lime" in Mexico) are good.

wunaladreamin
2008-04-18, 01:18 PM
What do Heineken and having sex in a canoe have in common?

They're both ****ing close to water. LOL

kc2aqg
2008-04-18, 01:42 PM
Kenny - that's too much! I just burst out laughing in my office when I read that LOL.

I happen to like 1664 Kronenberg (French), Peroni (Italy), Stella, Leffe, good foreign beers that are full-bodied. Domestically I like Yuengling the best. How come nobody mentioned Guiness? That's good stuff as well, but not in mass quantities...

Still thinking about the dates for the BBQ, will post an update this weekend...

wunaladreamin
2008-04-18, 01:57 PM
How come nobody mentioned Guiness? That's good stuff as well, but not in mass quantities...
Guinness is only good with a shot of Irish Mist in it. A good chill out drink.

mirrodie
2008-04-18, 02:37 PM
How come nobody mentioned Guiness? That's good stuff as well, but not in mass quantities...
Guinness is only good with a shot of Irish Mist in it. A good chill out drink.

Guinness? Ah yes.

That's Gaelic for "A wee little leprechaun took a muddy dump in me beer."

lijk604
2008-04-18, 11:36 PM
Guinness? Ah yes.

That's Gaelic for "A wee little leprechaun took a muddy dump in me beer."

Thanks Mario, now I have to clean the water I just sprayed out of my mouth off of my screen! ROFLMAO!!!

stuart schechter
2008-04-20, 08:58 PM
Guiness and Boddington's. My father has it all the time. Gives me one sometimes too.

kc2aqg
2008-04-21, 10:24 AM
So after some consideration about availability, it turns out that May and June are just not good months for this. We have a bunch of family obligations on the weekends and I will start travelling towards the beggining of May for two weeks, so it's just not working for that timeframe. However, I have taken the week of July 4th off from work and can guarantee that I won't be going anywhere for that week. So the new proposed dates are the weekends of June 28/29 or July 5 (I might have to fly out on the Sunday July 6, so that's a no-go). I'll see if I can reopen the poll to take votes, but I think this will provide for nicer weather and more people being able to come out with the advance notice. Thanks again for your understanding guys, I apologize that my schedule is crazy this time of year.

EDIT: I can't reset the vote counter even though I changed the poll options. Phil - can you help us out or should I start another thread?

stuart schechter
2008-04-21, 11:05 PM
I can do any of those. I'm off of school so that would be nice.

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-21, 11:40 PM
I fixed and reset the poll. Go ahead and vote again! :)

kc2aqg
2008-05-10, 11:13 PM
So it looks like Saturday 6/28 is the most popular date. So let's make it official, mark your calendars. More details to come in the first few weeks of June. Definitely looking forward to this!

stuart schechter
2008-05-11, 09:10 PM
I'm in. Just need to know how to get to your house from the LIRR station.

lijk604
2008-05-12, 02:11 PM
I'm in, June 28.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-29, 06:49 PM
Whatever the final plans are, the title of the thread should be modified. I might be able to make it after all. :)

kc2aqg
2008-05-29, 10:16 PM
Hey Phil - You can change the title to an official title. June 28 is the official date and I know I'll be around with my travel schedule, so we're all good there. I'll post more details as we get closer, but I'll ask that if you know you are coming, shoot me a PM so that I can send you one back with my address and directions. I'm going to refrain from posting that info in the public domain. Also, let me know if you are planning on bringing any kind of food so I can plan that accurately as well. Looking forward to it!

Derf
2008-05-30, 07:34 AM
I can not make saturday as I have work....sorry

kc2aqg
2008-05-30, 09:25 AM
That's too bad Fred, I was hoping to meet you. Perhaps at another LI gathering...

mirrodie
2008-06-02, 10:10 AM
Sorry Andy, unfortunately our flight crew will be missing this as well.

We have an annual BA bbq but its early this summer.

We'll toast champagne to you though!

T-Bird76
2008-06-02, 12:07 PM
I'll be there! Andy I'll bring some Corona and some Bacardi limon to make some Fire Islanders! That's if you don't mind?

corellian21
2008-06-13, 05:57 PM
that sat might just work for me , I'll see if I can take the day off, would like to meet everyone.

HPNPilot1200
2008-06-13, 07:08 PM
Planning on being there, I should have the day off work.

kc2aqg
2008-06-16, 09:52 AM
Ok everyone, I would like people to start PM'ing me if they are sure they are coming or even if you are a "definitely maybe" as Moose put it :wink: I will PM you back with my address and directions. Let me know if you are planning on taking the LIRR and we'll figure out how to get you from the station to my house (it's 3 blocks away so not a big issue). Also, let me know if you plan on bringing anything, food or drink. Nobody is required to bring anything of course, but it would provide more variety. I am planning on picking up some stuff to grill (hot dogs, burgers, chicken) and perhaps a long deli sandwich with some side dishes as well. Let me know if there is anything within those categories you would like specifically and I will try to accommodate. Also, Alcohol will be served for those 21+ and feel free to bring more if you are so inclined. Looking forward to it!

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-24, 09:02 PM
Very excited!!! Can't wait to see you folks.

HPNPilot1200
2008-06-24, 09:29 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to make it, unfortunately. I have to fly in the morning and have a liveatc.net setup to work on in the afternoon at HPN.

Sorry!

Nycfly75
2008-06-25, 10:46 AM
Hi Andy, Tom told me about the bbq last night...I should be able to make it plus I may have someone with me...

lijk604
2008-06-26, 06:27 PM
CARP! DAMMIT! Wife just sprung something rather important for Saturday evening. I'd try to bugger out of it to make the BBQ, but this is something that has to be done. Sorry gang, I will not be there. :evil:

moose135
2008-06-26, 09:29 PM
I should be there! Since I caught the Red Arrows this week, I don't need to schlep up to Rhode Island to see them. See you all at the BBQ!

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-29, 01:08 AM
Had a great time hangin with everyone today!! Thanks for hosting us, Andy. We should definitely do that again!

Art at ISP
2008-06-29, 12:14 PM
Wish I had known about this ahead of time.....could have possibly stopped by.

Today is graduation day for the daughter--Geez I am old--having a high school grad in house...

Wonder how I will feel when she leaves for Georgetown in August.

Next time....

moose135
2008-06-29, 12:22 PM
Thanks Andy! Had a good time yesterday, thanks for hosting.

kc2aqg
2008-06-29, 01:26 PM
Hey gents, glad you had a good time. Thanks for coming out! I had a blast as well, it was great to see all of you and hope to do it again soon!

MarkLawrence
2008-06-29, 06:20 PM
Sorry I couldn't make a trip to NY for the BBQ...maybe next year!