PDA

View Full Version : NWA now to charge 2nd bag $25-AA considering also

Alex T
2008-03-28, 03:40 PM
Northwest to Charge $25 for 2nd Checked Bag

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) -- Northwest Airlines says it will begin charging $25 for a second piece of luggage for flights within North America.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080328/northwes ... .html?.v=1 (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080328/northwest_baggage.html?.v=1)

CHICAGO, March 27 (Reuters) - American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp (AMR.N: Quote, Profile, Research), said on Thursday it may start charging $25 to check a second bag, a move that could spur revenue and cost savings as fuel prices soar.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsN ... 327?rpc=44 (http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCAN2737965220080327?rpc=44)

If AA becomes effective along with NW, CO will now be the only remaining legacy carrier to not charge 2nd bag.

Currently all LCC charge for 3rd bag and beyond.

Alex

nwafan20
2008-03-28, 04:00 PM
I think it is a smart move. First off, no one really needs more than 1 bag for domestic trips, second, this would encourage people to pack in one suitcase, saving weight (thus fuel) and reduce workload on rampers. Or if they really do need another bag, it is $25 in revenue.

HPNPilot1200
2008-03-28, 04:15 PM
I think it is a smart move. First off, no one really needs more than 1 bag for domestic trips, second, this would encourage people to pack in one suitcase, saving weight (thus fuel) and reduce workload on rampers. Or if they really do need another bag, it is $25 in revenue.

So if you're going to Florida or California for 3 or 4 weeks, you can make it on one suitcase? I could probably make do (real men turn their underwear inside out every other day), but for most people, you'd need at least two. The cost of shipping the bag is much greater than just paying the $25 fee, so I would suspect people are just going to continue with their own ways as they currently do now. It's just extra revenue that no one will ever see besides the company executives.

nwafan20
2008-03-28, 04:25 PM
But on percentage of travelers, those people doing a month in California is so little. Most are business travelers, who this doesn't effect (for one, they are normally only gone a few days, and two, they are exempt). Who this really hits is the once a year family who has to pack their entire house for a one week vacation.

HPNPilot1200
2008-03-28, 04:27 PM
But on percentage of travelers, those people doing a month in California is so little. Most are business travelers, who this doesn't effect (for one, they are normally only gone a few days, and two, they are exempt). Who this really hits is the once a year family who has to pack their entire house for a one week vacation.

I think there a lot more of those folks than you'd think. At least, it shows in the TSA security lines when I have to fly commercially.

mirrodie
2008-03-28, 05:17 PM
(real men turn their underwear inside out every other day),

Bzzzzzz.

Wrong.

Real men know....underwear is optional.

:borat:

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-28, 10:22 PM
Mario loves it when other men don't wear underwear.

ANYWAY, back on topic.....

mirrodie
2008-03-29, 10:22 AM
Mario loves it when other men don't wear underwear.

ANYWAY, back on topic.....

Such a slanderous statement. Not the case. I just like to let my twins roam free. 8)

Seriously, since 2001, we've seen a decrease in onboard service, now a possible charge for checked luggage, and an increase in fees. And thats just a small smapling of the changes we've seen.

I am truly wondering how AA is still considered a "Legacy" carrier as opposed to the Southwest/RyanAir/Airtran airlines that it is quickly beginning to mirror.

The more they change and become like those carriers, even like Jetblue, the more tempted I am to try Jetblue.

Anyone care to propose a timeline on when they'll have a dollar slot at the restroom door? Sure the whole industry is changing. The TSA has you removing nipple rings. Who would have even thought such a preposterous act would EVER happen in America 7 years ago? I propose right now, its just a matter of time before we are shuffling onto planes naked, for the sake of security. Crazy statement? Perhaps. But ten years ago if I had said you'd have to remove your blouse and nipple rings prior to boarding, you'd think me crazy too.

I'm actually not opposed to the extra baggage fee. Just wondering what line has to be crossed for them to no longer be considered a legacy carrier (and I know that in itself is a vague term).