PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re: flight options to FLL

kc2aqg
2008-03-24, 07:15 PM
So we have our annual training in Orlando this year, but I want to spend some time before and after the training near FLL, so I will be flying there. I have a few options, but I'm curious what you would do:

Friday night-
1) Delta from JFK at 7:15 PM - don't think I can do this one since I'll be coming from NYC and will probably have to check a bag

2) jetBlue from JFK at 9 something - I might be able to swing this, but don't get any DL miles. But I do get more time in the sun on Saturday.

Saturday morning-
3) Delta from LGA at 7:20 AM - I know I can do this, but I don't get to FLL until 10:30 AM, which cuts into the day a fair amount.

I guess the real question I am asking is, would you give up the miles (Status qualification miles) to get there the night before, or would you forego it to fly your preferred carrier?

T-Bird76
2008-03-24, 07:24 PM
I guess the real question I am asking is, would you give up the miles (Status qualification miles) to get there the night before, or would you forego it to fly your preferred carrier?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Why not just take your bag to work? I've done that before, its no big deal.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-24, 08:15 PM
Unless there's a significant difference in fare I would stick with DL.

Mateo
2008-03-25, 12:34 AM
Is the 2000 miles going to mean the difference between status and not? I'd take whatever fits your times best, assuming the fare difference is negligible.

T-Bird76
2008-03-25, 02:45 PM
Is the 2000 miles going to mean the difference between status and not? I'd take whatever fits your times best, assuming the fare difference is negligible.

2000 miles is a decent amount of Elite miles and could make the difference between maintaining status or not at the end of the year. My opinion is if you're flying and not earning elite miles and you're and elite....its an empty trip. I'm going to Montreal in a few weeks for biz and I could have flown AC on a nice new E190 with PTV but earn nothing towards my status with AA, so I'd rather fly AE on an E135 and earn a few Elite miles and Elite points. Its all about the miles baby!

Lezam
2008-03-25, 05:33 PM
First off, your earning exactly 1069 miles... its not really that much if you figure a medallion card is 25k

Second, I would go with JBU for two reasons. One is that if you go at 7pm your going to hit major traffic at jfk, you could be there for a while waiting. The second reason is that DAL isnt always as pleasant experience as JBU. Back when song was in operation I could bare it, but the fact that they stick you on these old MD80's makes me cringe. They are crammed with people, and there isnt much wiggle room... adding the fact that there isnt any IFE.

If the price isnt much difference, I would go with JBU... enjoy florida!

T-Bird76
2008-03-26, 09:03 AM
First off, your earning exactly 1069 miles... its not really that much if you figure a medallion card is 25k

I'm not sure how Delta works but it’s not only miles you’re talking about for Elite status, you can earn Elite points on AA to maintain or move up to the next level. Elite points on a 2000 mile trip equal 3000 points on AA. There are other things to consider as well such as dedicated check inlines, dedicated security lanes, priority seating, and priority boarding, you get none of that when you fly another airline.

Take a look at FlyerTalk in Nov and Dec and read the amount of posts from Elites about doing mileage runs to keep their status or to make the next level, its always the case those folks are about 1000 to 2000 miles short of what they need. Unless a fare is far lower then IMO stick with your preferred carrier.

kc2aqg
2008-03-26, 09:20 AM
So it seems that the squeeze that I was under for that Friday night flight is off. Apparently they misplaced a project on my schedule for that week, leading me to believe I would be in the city. So I replaced that project with some good ole' personal time :-) Now going on Wednesday morning instead and will have plenty of time in the sun. Also booked LGA-ATL-FLL for some of those extra miles and a ride on one of the Domestic 767-300's. Also, since I'm now arriving in the early afternoon, I can make the afternoon about spotting since I'll already be at the airport!

Tommy - I totally agree with you about status and elite qualification miles. In fact, I was about 1500 miles short of Gold on DL (50K miles) at the end of last year and they wouldn't bump me up (that's a whole other story). The perks of flying the carrier you have status on (preferred seats at the front of the aircraft, complimentary upgrades domestically, and priority boarding) far outweigh flying a different carrier for better times. The whole travel experience is just that much nicer when you have those perks.