PDA

View Full Version : Footage of Crashed BA 777 Approach

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-23, 04:30 AM
[liveleaktp://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e5_1200689456[/liveleakLooks to me like it's pretty obvious that the nose was way high at the end there. Don't know why the commentor disagrees.

T-Bird76
2008-03-23, 09:36 AM
The commentator is moron...anyone with basic knowledge of flight knows that attitude is WAY to high.

hiss srq
2008-03-23, 10:38 AM
When all else fails airspeed is life but when your too low climb like a home sick angel and prey to god you do enough of it to gets some speed behind you when gravity wins.

mirrodie
2008-03-23, 10:46 AM
I saw the video a few weeks ago. While hte nose does seem high, I think also the angle from which we are looking is deceiving.

Only the flight recorder will tell for sure.

Derf
2008-03-23, 12:13 PM
umm, they had 2 engine flame out and hit short of the runway due to the fact that there was not enough airspeed.... The Video is not deceiving and shows the tail of the plane below the main's while trying to keep the altitude. There is a real problem and the video shows it clearly...anyone taking as many pictures of airplanes as we do, or at least I do.... I feel all the puzzle pieces fit perfectly. The only real question is why did the engines both quit?

cancidas
2008-03-23, 11:09 PM
relatively normal? guy sounds like the morons in my school...

mirrodie
2008-03-24, 09:35 AM
umm, they had 2 engine flame out and hit short of the runway due to the fact that there was not enough airspeed.... The Video is not deceiving and shows the tail of the plane below the main's while trying to keep the altitude. There is a real problem and the video shows it clearly...anyone taking as many pictures of airplanes as we do, or at least I do.... I feel all the puzzle pieces fit perfectly. The only real question is why did the engines both quit?

Fred, in the video, both the building and the poles are not straight. Therefore the video camera was tilted.

bad_level, so I'll wait for the tape ;)

Derf
2008-03-24, 09:43 AM
We are looking at 2 different things, You are looking at foreground clutter, where as I do not care about the altitude or distance from the runway, the only think I am looking at is a slow 777 almost at stall speed with a high AOA. He could be 800 ft past the trees, but you need to remember, this was taken with a camera phone. That tells you that in almost all cases (95% or higher is what I figure) this was taken with a regular 3x camera phone. Now you have a high probablity that the zoom is between 28-60mm (guessing approx).

That should help out alot on the 2 different views :borat:

Derf
2008-03-24, 09:54 AM
Fred, in the video, both the building and the poles are not straight. Therefore the video camera was tilted.

bad_level, so I'll wait for the tape ;)

I do understand that too, but I have seen enough tilted images....I can not shoot level, so that helps with my perspective! :borat: I have watched too many planes to tell you that 1...he has a very high aoa and is not descending. He is HOLDING the altitude. I am GLAD he did not succeed and I am GLAD this plane crashed. Nobody died and there is a problem that they can not find. It has happened 7 times prior where the computers do not succeed in spooling up the engines. If this HAS been happening and nobody got the momentum to fix it before a crash, I am happy that nobody got killed and the only write-off is a piece of paper to the insurance company.... He almost landed a 777 dead stick...thank god the engines were still providing hydraulic and electric.....and thank god the engines did not quit 30 seconds sooner.

Come to think of it, if the engines quit 30 seconds later, it would not be investigated with 10% of the resources it has now...and they STILL do not know!

They got off without a crash, I am still impressed.....

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-24, 10:30 AM
The camera was hardly tilted, and regardless, by comparing the angles, that's a high angle of attack, as said. Teh tail is clearly well below the main gear.