PDA

View Full Version : POssible AA.com fare glitch? jfk-sxm at $170 round trip?

mirrodie
2008-03-21, 01:47 PM
Last week I got the following:

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewNe ... Mex+Search (http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewNetSAAverFareSalesDetail.jhtml?saleId=&fileName=carib.mex4.sale.03.07.08.xml&ic_campID=4&ic_pkw=03072008CaribMex+Search)

We looked at fares to SXM which started at $270+tax and fees.
My wife and I booked, its an "O" class fare and the fare we paid was actually $290+tax per person (fare restrictions did not that not traveling Mon-Thurs might make it a bit higher).

Several days later and after some thought, we also book our son's infant fare(priced out the same as an adult fare). His fare is $170+tax per person.

Where is the mistake? Same booking class, etc. All the info regarding the fare sale says fares start at $270 and up but is his fare a glitch at $170 or its ours a glitch and is the true fare sale $170+?

If I'm right, and its really 170, book your flights! Thats cheap for SXM! (although so is 270rt)

T-Bird76
2008-03-21, 01:53 PM
I just got 178 r/t but the taxes bring it up to 279 which isn't bad. Its not a glitch, its listed as a Net Save fare. Dam good fares..! If there was a Hilton there I'd blow some Hilton points for Memorial Day weekend.

mirrodie
2008-03-21, 01:57 PM
try againl.

the fare is listed at $270 plus tax and fees

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-21, 01:58 PM
JetBlue just started SXM a couple months ago, so this might be for competition purposes.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-21, 02:01 PM
It's probably just a result of their ridiculous surcharges and fees that aren't included in the base fare. For example, my trip to London next month is something insane like $205 round trip, but when you check out it adds all the other crap and it comes out to $570, which is around what everyone else is charging. Delta's base fare, for example, is $399, yet the total is around $570 also.

T-Bird76
2008-03-21, 02:03 PM
AA's charning 89 one way around Memorial day but as Matt mentioned the taxes and fee kill you.

mirrodie
2008-03-21, 02:04 PM
Just to clear some confusion, Matt, and Tom, I am talking about the base fare.

The fare sale is listed as started from $270 PLUS tax and fees.
The fares today are listed at $170 Plus tax and fees. The tax and fees for this route is about 95/person.

bonanzabucks
2008-03-21, 02:26 PM
It's probably just a result of their ridiculous surcharges and fees that aren't included in the base fare. For example, my trip to London next month is something insane like $205 round trip, but when you check out it adds all the other crap and it comes out to $570, which is around what everyone else is charging. Delta's base fare, for example, is $399, yet the total is around $570 also.

When are you heading to LHR? I'll be there the first week of April for a conference.

Speaking of fares, I paid $580 for my upcoming AA flight. It was the cheapest non-stop at the time. About a week after I purchased the ticket, Kuwaiti Airlines had a special deal to LHR for $444, including all taxes and fees. I booked early so I could get the best deal possible, and if I waited another week, I could have saved more. Sucks.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-21, 03:04 PM
When are you heading to LHR? I'll be there the first week of April for a conference.
I'll be there the 21st-23rd.

Smartass Flyboy
2008-03-22, 11:33 AM
Just to clear some confusion, Matt, and Tom, I am talking about the base fare.

The fare sale is listed as started from $270 PLUS tax and fees.
The fares today are listed at $170 Plus tax and fees. The tax and fees for this route is about 95/person.

Which isn't really bad. Remember we are one of the 4 or 5 airlines that builds the 30USD departure tax into the ticket coming out of SXM. The other $65 includes the usual PFC's out of JFK, ZP & AY taxes, and the APIS fees and then the fuel surcharge. So really not bad at all this time. I didn't catch if B6 was on the sign as not having to stop at the pay window when leaving or not. I met several people when I was down there 2 weeks ago that had taken advantage of the $179 fares on B6 so these do not appear to be one offs. I understand though that B6 is pulling back and dropping to weekly, maybe just for the summer, but they are dropping to weekly very soon.