Another big day on March 4 to see what happens between Obama & Clinton

Here are some of the latest polls:

Ohio
Clinton - 49.3 Obama - 42.9

Texas
Clinton - 46.8 Obama - 46.5

Rhode Island
Clinton - 48.0 Obama - 38.3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Politics/mortalkombatqd9.jpg

Midnight Mike
2008-03-04, 08:08 PM
McCain is the projected winner in Vermont

Obama is the projected winner in Vermont

Midnight Mike
2008-03-04, 08:34 PM
McCain is the projected winner in Ohio

Toooo early to call the race between Clinton & Obama as it is turning into a close race.....

Midnight Mike
2008-03-04, 10:11 PM
McCain wins Texas

Huckabee drops out of the race, finally

Midnight Mike
2008-03-04, 11:05 PM
Clinton wins Rhode Island.....

moose135
2008-03-04, 11:08 PM
McCain wins Texas

Just heard on the news that McCain is due at the White House tomorrow to get GWB's endorsement. I guess that should just about wrap up the election for whoever the Democratic nominee is :D

T-Bird76
2008-03-05, 12:02 AM
McCain wins Texas

Just heard on the news that McCain is due at the White House tomorrow to get GWB's endorsement. I guess that should just about wrap up the election for whoever the Democratic nominee is :D

I agree 100%, any connection to this current Administration isn't something you want.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-05, 01:28 AM
[quote="Midnight Mike":d5fff]McCain wins Texas

I agree 100%, any connection to this current Administration isn't something you want.[/quote:d5fff]

Tommy, c'mon dude, you know politics better than that. :wink:

George Bush is popular among Conservatives, McCain needs the Conservatives. What McCain will start doing is to start talking about the many successes of President Bush & take those talking point away from the Democrats.

Right now, it is a bad time to be a Democrat as the focus has gone from Iraq to the economy.....

The surge in Iraq is working, Iraqi Government is getting their act together.
United States, United Nations & the world community are taking on Iran & their nuclear program.
World Community & the United States shut down the North Korean nuclear program.

Are just a couple of things that come to mind.....

Remember, McCain has been labeled the "Maverick" by the press.....

Midnight Mike
2008-03-05, 01:49 AM
Clinton is the projected winner in Texas

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 07:02 AM
I think Clinton only won because of the sneaky campaign she's operated the past two weeks.

Unfortunately, I think yesterday's results decided our next President.

jran225
2008-03-05, 09:07 AM

I don't quite follow. Enlighten me, Phil.

Greets,
-Omar S.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-05, 09:20 AM
Clinton is still behind in delegates, and mathematically she could win all the remaining primaries and still not have enough delegates, depending on her margins of victory.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 09:30 AM

I don't quite follow. Enlighten me, Phil.

I just think that Hillary will ride this momentum, win the primaries and then the election.

Clinton is still behind in delegates, and mathematically she could win all the remaining primaries and still not have enough delegates, depending on her margins of victory.

That's good news, but I think she's playing rough and can pull it off.

T-Bird76
2008-03-05, 10:11 AM
There's alot of factors going on now and I don't think the Democratic party wanted this at all. This really splits their party between Obama and Clinton. I think Dean would have been very happy with an Obama victor in Ohio and Texas to basically tell Hillary move on. Now though she'll stay in it and its going to come down to convention who decides who gets the nomination. The problem now is McCain has a HUGE head start getting his message out clearly to the public while Obama and Clinton battle it out. I still don't think McCain will win and after today's endorsement from Bush I'd vote for Hitler before I'd vote for McCain...ok maybe not Hitler but perhaps a lower level Nazi party offical, but not McCain. I don't think the endorsement from Bush will help McCain at all.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 10:26 AM
Not trying to put words in your mouth at all, but through the chain of logic, are you comparing Bush to low-level Nazis? If you think that Bush's endorsement would affect most people's willingness to vote for McCain, since when are you anti-Bush to that extreme?

RDU-JFK
2008-03-05, 10:35 AM
What if Hillary and Obama were on the same ticket (Hillary as VP)?

T-Bird76
2008-03-05, 10:40 AM
Not trying to put words in your mouth at all, but through the chain of logic, are you comparing Bush to low-level Nazis? If you think that Bush's endorsement would affect most people's willingness to vote for McCain, since when are you anti-Bush to that extreme?

No not at all, just using an extreme example of how much I don't want McCain in the White house. The comparission wasn't against Bush at all but against McCain who I feel is very extreme. Certainly in no way like the Nazi's but shock value always helps to make your stance clear on things.

McCain is the wrong person for this country and I feel will further drive a wedge through our relations with other countries which isn't something we can afford right now.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 10:48 AM
I'm a Republican, and I can agree with that.

The GOP is like an old sports team that decided to exclude itself from draft picks over the past decade...and now have nothing but out-dated veterans that can't run our country anymore.

Just a few years ago, the Dems were in the same position, with no real leaders. Although I think Obama's ok, the Dems aren't much better of still.

T-Bird76
2008-03-05, 10:55 AM
I'm a Republican, and I can agree with that.

The GOP is like an old sports team that decided to exclude itself from draft picks over the past decade...and now have nothing but out-dated veterans that can't run our country anymore.

Just a few years ago, the Dems were in the same position, with no real leaders. Although I think Obama's ok, the Dems aren't much better of still.

One of the morning news programs said something similar about the GOP choices. They said something to the effect that McCain was like the kid who was picked last in gym class, that the best kids got picked first and that this is what was left. Nothing like being the best of the worst...

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 11:05 AM
It's like Survivor, where good folks that are a threat get voted off early.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-05, 11:12 AM

That would be bad for the Democrats, and, the Republicans would have a field day, both, Obama & Clinton have attacked the hell out of each other, & I think this comment ensured that a Obama/Clinton will not work.

"His entire campaign is based on one speech he gave at an anti-war rally in 2002," Clinton said. "I give him credit for making the speech, but his speech was not followed up with action, which is the pattern we have seen repeatedly -- a lot of talk no action. We have one speech in 2002 versus a record of accomplishment and a record of action."

Clinton also said she and likely Republican nominee Sen. John McCain both had experience to put forth, but Obama only had a speech.

"Now I think you will be able to imagine many things Sen. McCain will be able to say. He has never been the president. He will put forth his experience. I will put forth my experience. Sen. Obama will put forth a speech he made in 2002."

I am sure people remember that pairing the #1 & #2 candidates does not always ensure victory, look what happened in 2004 when Kerry & Edwards were paired together.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-05, 11:24 AM
No not at all, just using an extreme example of how much I don't want McCain in the White house. The comparission wasn't against Bush at all but against McCain who I feel is very extreme. Certainly in no way like the Nazi's but shock value always helps to make your stance clear on things.

McCain is the wrong person for this country and I feel will further drive a wedge through our relations with other countries which isn't something we can afford right now.

McCain could be the perfect person we need right now, McCain has been known to work with Democrats, unlike either Clinton or Obama.

McCain is tough on defense & is actually being realistic about the events in Iraq.

Out of the 3, McCain is actually tougher on illegal immagration, Obama pissed me off when he said he wants to give Drivers License to illegal aliens.

On the International front, we need a tough leader to deal with the likes of Chavez, Kim Jong Il, & Ahmadinejad.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-05, 11:28 AM
The comparission wasn't against Bush at all but against McCain who I feel is very extreme.
Really? I feel like McCain has been the least controversial candidate in the race. He's a friggin' old man who doesn't look to be in the greatest health...I'd be amazed if he lived out his term if elected. :)

jran225
2008-03-05, 12:13 PM
On the International front, we need a tough leader to deal with the likes of Chavez, Kim Jong Il, & Ahmadinejad.

Agreed. However, McCain is likely to push the idea of military offensives against these guys. I feel that he would do this despite the fact that our country can't afford it. We need a diplomatic solution - it's cheaper, more likely to succeed and will also score the US major respect points in the global community (allies and foes). Obama is the only candidate who has clearly and repeatedly expressed a desire to do this. We need a tough leader, but we need one who will be tough with words before pulling out the guns.

Greets,
-Omar S.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-05, 12:20 PM
Unlike when there were 5 Republicans battling it out amongst themselves, I think the two Democrats going head to head this late in the game is actually a good thing for their party.

For the Republicans, having all those guys meant that they were fighting intenrally and not spending enough time going up against the actual opponents...the Democrats.

On the flip side, aside from winning the primaries, I think McCain gets very little media coverage in terms of his views. The Dems are getting all the attention, and we all know the complete ins and outs of both Obama's and Hillary's platform.

As for McCain, as we even see in this thread, there is much that is not so clear about the man in terms of what he would do in office.

bonanzabucks
2008-03-05, 02:48 PM
Bush popular with conservatives? You got to be kidding me, right?

Let's see...National security conservatives hate him because he proposed giving illegals amnesty. Not to mention they hate the way he has run the Iraq war. Neoconservatives hate him because of the way he bungled up the Iraq war, making them look so bad. Fiscal conservatives hate him because of our massive deficit and him not really caring about maintaining a balanced budget. Social conservatives? Jury is still out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they were against him because of his sheer incompetence and the fact that he really hasn't done a hell of a lot to forward their cause.

Phil summed it up best: GOP being an old sports team that forgoes their draft picks. I used to be a registered Republican and more on the conservative side. I de-registered a few months ago because I really hated what Bush did to the party and none of the candidates, save Giuliani, really inspired or interested me. Believe it or not, the last straw for me was when the DOT was clueless on how to handle air transport congestion because it showed that the Bush Administration has no foresight on how to fix a problem in the future. They're totally clueless and they're going back to past methods that never worked to begin with. Anyways, now the GOP is choosing McCain. While he may be considered a "maverick", he's still 73 years old! This party needs new blood not the same old faces.

As for McCain being tough on illegal immigration, ummm...didn't he support Bush's amnesty push?

He would have been perfect in 2000 and I was hoping he would have got the nomination then instead of Bush, but Bush got it and we're in a big mess now. McCain is simply past his time now...

Tom_Turner
2008-03-05, 09:23 PM
Phil summed it up best: GOP being an old sports team that forgoes their draft picks.

And, not for the first time. Bob Dole seemed like a cadaver.

T

Tom_Turner
2008-03-05, 09:28 PM
I think Clinton only won because of the sneaky campaign she's operated the past two weeks.

Thats exactly why she won.

The problem here is that she cannot pick up the delegates necessary to win the rest of the way - so that means she has to try to change the rules retroactively to make Michigan and Florida count - (not a problem for a Clinton of course...) or rig all the super-delegates - contrary to the popular vote and even the normal delegate apportion customs.

Either way she will have effectively "stolen" the nomination. If that happens - and she cannot get Obama as her VP and (maybe) even if she does, many Democrats (Obama supporters) will sit on their hands on election day, and McCain will win the General Election.

Tom

Tom_Turner
2008-03-05, 09:35 PM
However, McCain is likely to push the idea of military offensives against these guys.
Greets,
-Omar S.

McCain - for better or worse - will do whatever it takes to prevent Iran from obtaining Nuclear weapons.

Since I do not know what JinJad and the Mulahs would do with nukes, its very hard to say if McCain would save America from catastrophe by pre-empting Iran militarily, or lead us into catastrophe by allowing them to continue. And there's no guarantee to say its this is not true on both ends, as nice as it would be to think otherwise.

Stakes are high..thats for sure. :(

Tom_Turner
2008-03-05, 09:41 PM

Its a very long shot.

Arguably Hillary does not benefit from this arrangement as easily as Obama might if he were VP (as being younger & more easily able to run again [as sitting VP] after 8 years.)

Also, politically, Obama would draw more voters to a Hillary ticket (younger voters, blacks etc.) that might not vote otherwise, whereas Hillary only offers Obama voters another VP candidate would get him anyway, while she has a very high negative side that stimulates the GOP base to vote against her as well as some independents.

Tom

Tom_Turner
2008-03-05, 09:47 PM
Out of the 3, McCain is actually tougher on illegal immagration, Obama pissed me off when he said he wants to give Drivers License to illegal aliens.

That will probably be like splitting hairs. Once McCain compromises with Ted Kennedy and the other like minded dems and republicans, I can see the drivers licenses getting doled out in due time...in one way or another; whatever can be schemed up. What the voters want on this issue simply doesn't hold sway over our collective elected leadership.