PDA

View Full Version : Things getting ugly in South America

T-Bird76
2008-03-03, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure why this isn't larger news in the media (it should be) but both Venezuela and Ecuador have deployed their armies to the boarder with Columbia after Columbia went after and killed a rebel leader. Anyone who thinks this is just saber rattling needs to take a step back. A leader like Chavez is bound to want to expand his desires and it’s been suspected for months he would at some point launch his army across the boarder. Brazil also should be watching this guy closely.

Columbia is a close ally with the U.S and you know any action by Venezuela or Ecuador will result in heavy U.S involvement to knock these two countries back. It should be realized that any war on this side of the Atlantic will have a major impact on our economy as oil shipments from Venezuela will stop. Here's the story from MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23435878/

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-03, 11:05 AM
What's with oil "rich" countries growing balls?

Considering our current stateof affairs and our concern for our own foreign conflict, I couldn't imagine us doing much to interfere with this. I think our relations with Columbia are somewhat strained considering incidents of poor treatment on Americans in their country over the past couple of years.

Depending on what goes on, this could be the beginnings of an official World War 3.

T-Bird76
2008-03-03, 11:18 AM
Phil there is no way we would allow these two countries to start a war with Columbia let alone Brazil which has been looked at by Chavez. The threat to our interests in our own backyard is too great. Columbia boarders Panama and what would stop him from going in there? I don't think this is the start of WWIII but certainly if they cross the boarder it will turn into a regional conflict. I'm not sure if Chavez thinks we would sit back and that's why he doing what he's doing or what?? His army wouldn't stand a chance against an air war with us, which can be easily launched right from our own soil.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-03, 11:35 AM
A conflict against them would be pretty easy since it's against an organized military force. It would be a fast suicide for them.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-03, 11:55 AM
What's with oil "rich" countries growing balls?

Considering our current stateof affairs and our concern for our own foreign conflict, I couldn't imagine us doing much to interfere with this. I think our relations with Columbia are somewhat strained considering incidents of poor treatment on Americans in their country over the past couple of years.

Depending on what goes on, this could be the beginnings of an official World War 3.

Would not worry about World War 3, in fact, I don't suspect any military action will take place.

But with the conflict in Nigeria, a madman in Iran, & this troop movement in South America, expect oil prices to remain high.

Where the United States gets its oil from

As of December 2007, here is a list of the top 15 Countries where the US gets its oil imports:

1. Canada
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Venezuela
4. Mexico
5. Nigeria
6. Angola
7. Iraq
8. Algeria
9. Ecuador
10. Brazil
11. Kuwait
12. Azerbaijan
13. Libya
14. Columbia
15. United Kingdom

Matt Molnar
2008-03-03, 01:08 PM
This is serious news, but I think this is simply more Chavez propaganda to scare his people into thinking the US is out to kill them, which is how guys like him stay in power. I doubt we'll see any shots fired as a result of this.