PDA

View Full Version : AirTran Drops DAB-ATL...seasonal

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-27, 08:20 PM
AirTran has decided to drop DAB for the next half of the year, after June/July despite their high loads since their start in January 2007.
The story in DAB:
AirTran announced Daytona Beach as seasonal when they originally began the service, but DAB talked them in to staying year round, which I hope they do again, since AirTran has had great performance in Daytona Beach. They originally had scheduled one daily DAB/ATL flight through the end of their schedule and then dropped the flight after June 10.
Unfortunately for now, DAB will be back to three of the original carriers (Delta, US Airways, Continental), and I am sure prices will sky rocket soon, despite the cheap fares they are advertising now.

I am surprised they would pull their ATL service, since it is a competitive route for Daytona, seeing that Delta operates six flights...AirTran could easily complement Delta like they do in similar markets such as Pensacola and Sarasota.

BIG Setback for the community, but not formally announced by the airport nor AirTran. However, the day after the DAB pullout, AirTran launches ATL-SAT.

nwafan20
2008-02-27, 11:18 PM
Thats the problem, there is too much supply DAB-ATL and not enough demand.

By the way, AirTran also dropped DAB-LGA quite a while ago, they end in March I think.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-28, 04:20 PM
They end in May.

Also, that is not true. Passenger traffic has increased ever since FL started offering service to DAB. That proves demand.

T-Bird76
2008-02-28, 05:56 PM
There's no market in DAB.....its all low yeild tourist class customers who are looking for a bargin. Their planes could be better used on higher yield routes. High loads mean NOTHING....

AirtrafficController
2008-02-28, 08:32 PM
There's no market in DAB.....its all low yeild tourist class customers who are looking for a bargin. Their planes could be better used on higher yield routes. High loads mean NOTHING....

Don't forget the Embrey-Riddle students. But I agree DAB has no market besides toursits and students.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-28, 08:47 PM
I do not necessarily disagree, nor do I agree.

Not only will I reiterate increased passenger traffic since AirTran started, but to the north of the city is Flagler County, one of the fastest growing counties in the country with much business. The closest airport? Daytona Beach. Many business ties are elsewhere for these companies.

Also, if this is such a low yield market, how does DAB support Delta's six ATL flights, US Airways' three Charlotte flights, and well, Continental's Newark service.

What I am trying to say is...Atlanta flights will always fill up, because it is the central hub. AirTran's load factors have been rather high in DAB.

T-Bird76
2008-02-28, 09:45 PM
I do not necessarily disagree, nor do I agree.

Not only will I reiterate increased passenger traffic since AirTran started, but to the north of the city is Flagler County, one of the fastest growing counties in the country with much business. The closest airport? Daytona Beach. Many business ties are elsewhere for these companies.

Also, if this is such a low yield market, how does DAB support Delta's six ATL flights, US Airways' three Charlotte flights, and well, Continental's Newark service.

What I am trying to say is...Atlanta flights will always fill up, because it is the central hub. AirTran's load factors have been rather high in DAB.

Your comparing AirTran with US and Delta is like comparing apples with oranges. Delta and US are CNC carriers compared to an LCC with a limited network. Delta and US's schedules and route network out of ATL and CLT give the higher yield biz customer far great choices then Airtran's network and schedule out of ATL.

LGA777
2008-02-28, 10:03 PM
The DAB market demand is really slow in summer. While US is doing well so far due to summer demand (or lack of it) DAB-CLT in June is going from three 86 seat E-175's (Republic) to three 50 seat CRJ-200's (Air Wisconsin). I am sure larger aircraft will be back next winter.

Regards

LGA777

nwafan20
2008-02-28, 10:34 PM
Yields do not equal demand, the true demand comes from high-fare paying business travelers. As others touched on, DAB is all tourists, and still, that is not a ton of flights with US and DL being there.

AirTran isn't stupid, they know what they are doing.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-29, 01:56 PM
The DAB market demand is really slow in summer.

Which would support the same service AirTran provided last summer. That consisted of one daily flight with amazingly high loads and bookings.

Due to AirTran, DAB's passenger traffic hit an all time high in 2007.

I know AirTran isn't stupid. I just don't see any reason why they couldn't duplicate the service they provided last summer, as DAB was a year round destination for them.

Also: anyone have any insight as to Delta's summer schedule at DAB?

nwafan20
2008-02-29, 04:19 PM
Because maybe it wasn't profitable for them, or maybe they could use the aircraft on a more profitable route.... Again, high loads does not equal high profit.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-03-01, 09:36 AM
Here is what I just learned today:
This is not set in stone. Final decision is in about two weeks.
AirTran cites high fuel costs and has switched its schedule to Florida and Las Vegas.
DAB is continuing to do everything in their power to have them stay.