PDA

View Full Version : North American Airlines to End Scheduled Service

Novanglus
2008-02-19, 08:52 AM
North American Airlines to Discontinue International Scheduled Service to Lagos, Accra and Georgetown
Tuesday February 19, 7:00 am ET
Will Redeploy Aircraft into Charter Market ...

JAMAICA, N.Y., Feb. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- North American Airlines today announced that it will discontinue scheduled service between the United States and the cities of Lagos, Nigeria; Accra, Ghana; and Georgetown, Guyana. All flights in these markets will be completed by May 20, 2008.

"North American has a long history of serving the New York-Guyana market, and we were the first U.S. airline in decades to fly non-stop service from the United States to sub-Saharan Africa," said Rob Binns, Chief Commercial and Planning Officer. "We have been pleased that all of these markets have performed on a revenue basis as we anticipated. What now makes these markets untenable is the rising cost of fuel. We have seen our jet fuel costs increase 60 percent since we entered the Africa markets in 2005.

(read more...) (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080219/cltu030b.html?.v=1)

LGA777
2008-02-19, 11:56 PM
From what limited knowledge I have of the Charter market I am still very confident redeploying those aircraft to charters only will be a very profitable call on NOA's part, especially if this will permit them to increase their flying for the US Military, which would not surprise me at all.

Also sounds like Eos will be picking up the slack at least in the GEO market, and DL to Accra.

I am sure we will here more about this from the sites NOA contigent.

Cheers

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2008-02-20, 12:40 AM
[tinfoil hat]This is so they can concentrate on transporting troops for the upcoming conflict in Iran![/tinfoil hat] :twisted: