PDA

View Full Version : Small CT Town Spending $70K To Fight New Flight Paths

Matt Molnar
2008-02-12, 02:27 PM
These people are morons...they're 50 miles from LGA, they're not going to hear anything!

Ridgefield Press:

SKY NOISE: Despite objections, money for FAA fight OKed (http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/ridgefield/28805.shtml)
Feb 12, 2008

By Jenny Cox, Ridgefield Press Staff

After some heated argument, voters at a town meeting last week approved spending $70,000 for Ridgefield to join the Alliance for Sensible Airspace Planning.

Ridgefield is “one of the last” of a dozen local towns to join the alliance in an effort to change the Federal Aviation Authority’s proposed airspace redesign, First Selectman Rudy Marconi said.

The plan is to fight the proposal to rerouting New York airport traffic over Connecticut, by simultaneously pursuing legal, lobbying and “grass roots” opposition, he said. The aviation authority has approved a redesign that some people have compared to “putting an I-95 directly above us,” he said. Read more... (http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/ridgefield/28805.shtml)

adam613
2008-02-12, 04:08 PM
Is the FAA actually paying any attention to these people? I sure hope not...

HPNPilot1200
2008-02-12, 04:30 PM
I live in the adjacent town to Ridgefield and am having a hard time figuring out why my town is contributing over $37,000 to this cause. The only aircraft flying over our heads are heavy transatlantic departures headed to MERIT or GREKI intersection, bound for Europe (which by the way, are well above 10,000 feet) and a few arrivals into LGA and HPN (HPN arrivals being the lowest descending through 5 or 6,000 feet for 3,000 feet). Not much else.

I really don't see their point. Then again, no one in the town asked me.

G-BOAD
2008-02-12, 11:31 PM
Thats just stupid. If people in Flushing, Elizabeth or Jamaica wanted to fight the fight plans, that I can understand. The planes will be high, and they wouldn't be bothersome. I live in Westchester, and sometimes we get low flying LGA traffic. (and sometimes EWR 22 departures to Europe). The planes by Ridgefield will be higher. Waist of tax payer dollars!

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-13, 04:02 PM
Agreed. This is not a true noise sensitive area. I doubt that it will pass, unless there is a bribe.