PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Weather Past

Gerard
2008-02-11, 07:58 PM
Ok last week we had a high of 68 degrees then it was about 11 this morning not even counting in the wind chill.
But Saturday and Sunday was wild. On Saturday it was damp and chilly all day then at 9Pm I had to run out to my car and it was pretty clear but at 11PM walking my dogs and we got caught in a deluge that included thunder/lightning.
Wake up Sunday around 5AM and dense dense fog but by 9 all clear.
At 3PM on the LIE heading back from Manhasset and you can see the snow squalls in the clouds that were at times dark and foreboding.
At 4PM one of those snow squalls passes by us. Pretty cool. Soon after the sun is out.
THEN at 5PM a squall that actually looked and felt like a blizzard roars through my neighborhood!! That was pretty intense. 15 minutes later the sun is shining but the winds start kicking up ferociously all night long and the temps plunge.
Great stuff!! :lol:

nwafan20
2008-02-11, 08:02 PM
Lucky you guys. Yesterday it was 3 degrees with a windchill of -15. This morning it was -4 degrees with a windchill of -22, but it warmed up to 8 with a windchill of -5 today :)

hiss srq
2008-02-11, 08:10 PM
That weather was wild. From the tower you could not see the bay the visibility diminished soo severely a few times.

cancidas
2008-02-11, 09:00 PM
had wx class this morning (happens every monday) and the instructor is a huge wx geek that happens to be an air traffic controller at LGA. he was at work in his cab the same time i was in mine, and what we experienced yesterday made for some interesting conversation before class got started.

it was really cool to see a snowstorm approach that quick and leave as quickely. it's honestly the first time i ever saw that. what's more amazing that it looked just like a thunderstorm on the radar. if it weren't as cold yesterday we'd have had RN instead of SN. gotta love mother nature!! over the course of about 5 minutes the cell completely encompased LGA's property and gave us white out conditions. i heard a total of about 4 go-arounds, and yes i mean heard as i couldn't see Bravo taxiway.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-02-11, 09:40 PM
It's not atypical to experience heavy snow squalls with the passage of an arctic front. What was so neat about yesterday is that you could tell EXACTLY when the front was passing through.

LGA777
2008-02-11, 10:28 PM
I was also in the US Tower cab yesterday and when the worst of the three snow squalls went thru it was an amazing sight. It's movement across the water from west to east was one of the fastest moving storms I have ever seen. Our visibulity went from around 3 miles to about 50 feet in about 10 seconds. It was really wild !

Cheers

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2008-02-11, 10:29 PM
This morning was brutal. When I left the house, it was 13 degrees with a wind chill of -8.

Thankfully I kept warm by lighting myself on fire.

stuart schechter
2008-02-12, 12:02 AM
This morning was brutal. When I left the house, it was 13 degrees with a wind chill of -8.

Thankfully I kept warm by lighting myself on fire.

Phil, were you Evil Kineval(sp?) in a former life?

NIKV69
2008-02-12, 02:17 AM
I heard you guys were getting a cold snap. Beautiful WX at IFP and the whole Kingman, Colorado river area. 70 during the day high 50s at night. Pure heaven. :twisted:

hiss srq
2008-02-12, 03:45 AM
Tomorrow they are saying the snow is back. good thing I just finished up my duty week. :borat:

cancidas
2008-02-12, 12:17 PM
It's not atypical to experience heavy snow squalls with the passage of an arctic front. What was so neat about yesterday is that you could tell EXACTLY when the front was passing through.
sorry, each time the cell moved through it came and went at about 20kts.

mirrodie
2008-02-12, 03:28 PM
Looks like a repeat of Sunday right now out my window.

T-Bird76
2008-02-12, 03:33 PM
All I know is I better not be delayed tomorrow out of JFK.....grrrr

mirrodie
2008-02-12, 04:21 PM
A patient just came in and told me of 7 accidents :shock: on what is normally a 10 minute ride into here.

T-Bird76
2008-02-12, 04:31 PM
A patient just came in and told me of 7 accidents :shock: on what is normally a 10 minute ride into here.

There's a coating of snow....as we all know Long Island panics when anything falls from the sky.

wunaladreamin
2008-02-12, 04:35 PM
The SSP is at a stand-still in both directions at exit 32. What sucks is the pup REFUSES to go out in bad weather. The little diva is above snow and rain, and enjoys watching e pick up her turds as the flakes fall.

moose135
2008-02-12, 06:10 PM

The road in front of my house (a main road through Syosset) is a sheet of ice. About 20 minutes ago I heard a big bang outside right in front of the house - went out to find a guy in a little Blazer had slid across the center line & clipped a girl in a little Hyundai. No one hurt, but she was shaken up and her car is a mess. NCPD is out there as I type this - my neighbor was trying to get through to 911 when a sector car happened to come past.

Matt Molnar
2008-02-12, 07:00 PM
LIRR has a stalled train at Valley Stream, no service through there on any of the branches that traverse it.

Community Drive and Old Roslyn Road are closed.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-02-12, 08:07 PM
Drive home from McGuire to Freehold was terrible tonight. Took me over an hour to get home...
Snow had quickly turned to sleet/freezing rain, and the roads were pure ice...

Gerard
2008-02-12, 08:23 PM
>The SSP is at a stand-still in both directions at exit 32.<

Yeah its really bad. My son just came home and said there were accidents everywhere. Heck, I
stopped at an intersection down the road from my house and slid right through it. Thankfully no one was coming either way. Snow should turn to rain later and continue into Wed. aft, heavy at times.

> What sucks is the pup REFUSES to go out in bad weather. The little diva is above snow and rain, and enjoys watching e pick up her turds as the flakes fall. <

LOL my two dogs are the same way. I open the door to the back yard and they give me this look
like "Are you crazy"? I put them on the leash and take them out front where they have no choice.
They know as soon as they go they get back in the house.

Matt Molnar
2008-02-13, 02:51 PM
The snow/ice pellet line followed me home from work last night. When I got on the train in Midtown it was raining, but when I got off the train it was still snowing, but as I walked home from the train, the snow changed to ice pellets. I say ice pellets and not sleet because, well, sleet hurts more than whatever was falling last night...I think the rain drops were maybe only partially frozen.

So after below zero wind chills Monday and snow all day yesterday, today's forecast high was around 42. Except when I got up this morning the temps at LGA and Central park were 54, and right now it's 53 with winds from the south, just a few miles away at EWR, wind from the north and a temperature of 40!