PDA

View Full Version : Delta and Northwest "Close" to Merger

Matt Molnar
2008-02-06, 07:38 PM
Sources say a deal may be done in weeks, but could still potentially collapse, according a story published this evening in the Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cb732600-d442-11dc-a8c6-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1).

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-09, 06:27 PM
I really think this will be an interesting merger.

I wonder what routes/destinations they would drop/add, and fleet modifications they would make?

Proposed name for said airline: "Delta West Airlines"

nwafan20
2008-02-09, 09:45 PM
I hate this... Grr....

The name will stay with Delta, the HQ will stay with Delta, basically Delta is buying NW even though NW has more money and is in a better financial situation...

Don't you just hate when your least favorite airline and your most favorite airline merge? Grr..

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-10, 09:29 PM
That isn't the case for me...but I guess you might be flying Delta more if this happens. I am sure NWA will be kept alive in this forum.

moose135
2008-02-10, 11:09 PM
Don't you just hate when your least favorite airline and your most favorite airline merge? Grr..

I feel your pain, Matt...

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/253099525_iwTwV-S.jpg

nwafan20
2008-02-11, 12:24 AM

I feel your pain, Matt...

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/253099525_iwTwV-S.jpg

That is exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it..

"One great future" Yeah, for AA, not TWA or its employees...

I am quite worried that the NW brand will fall into history, which troubles me. My only hope is that either they do a KL/AF style merger, or somehow the deal gets called off.

There are a few reasons why I think it may stay as a KL/AF merger:

Asia is a huge market for NW, and NW has a huge FF base there with good brand recognition while Delta is completely unknown
the US-Japan rights hold no guarantees of transferring over to Delta.
In the midwest, Northwest has a fairly large name recognition and FF base.
a KL/AF style merger would allow them to share mgmt and handling servies, but also allow NW to have the close ties with KL and DL the close ties with AF making a large super carrier in the US.
the single company might raise antitrust concerns (I hope it does)

Really, all I can do is hope now....

Matt Molnar
2008-02-11, 04:07 PM
More: Sources say Delta and Northwest have shared a merger plan with their pilots' unions. The airlines have neither confirmed nor denied.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqdjpUSbrD5E&refer=home)

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-11, 05:44 PM
What evidence would lead someone to believe that this would be like KL and AF?

I think this will be more like AA and TWA...unfortunately for some of you. I hope it doesn't because I have never flown NWA and would like to in the future, therefore siding me with nwafan.

nwafan20
2008-02-11, 05:46 PM

I think this will be more like AA and TWA...unfortunately for some of you. I hope it doesn't because I have never flown NWA and would like to in the future, therefore siding me with nwafan.

There has been A LOT of talk about it being an AF/KL style merger, I did not just pull that out of my *you know what*. No one knows until the official announcement is made.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-12, 08:49 PM

There has been A LOT of talk about it being an AF/KL style merger, I did not just pull that out of my *you know what*. No one knows until the official announcement is made.
Unfortunately, I have heard more talk about NWA going under if they merge rather than an KLM/AF type merger.

nwafan20
2008-02-12, 09:13 PM

Unfortunately, I have heard more talk about NWA going under if they merge rather than an KLM/AF type merger.

So have I, but I have still heard talk the other way around. No one will know until it is announced.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-13, 04:00 PM
That is true.

hiss srq
2008-02-14, 02:44 PM
Announceing Delta's newest hubs in MSP, DTW and MEM!!!!!! Lets put widgets on the Airbus fleet!

Delta777LR
2008-02-14, 03:21 PM
Would Delta keep NWA Airbuses or dump them? Delta dumped their A310s after being purchased from Pan Am back in the early ninetys. I think Delta is more with Boeing than Airbus.

nwafan20
2008-02-14, 07:13 PM
Actually, they didn't dump the A310's right away.

There is no way they could dump them. NW is a very large airline with the largest A330 fleet in the world and a very large A32X fleet. It would be stupid, and virtually impossible to throw them out.

Delta777LR
2008-02-14, 07:17 PM
Heres My Delta/Northwest merger picture I just finished 10 minutes ago..... Check this Hybird out!!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/sergair/NorthwestDeltaMerger.jpg

nwafan20
2008-02-14, 07:31 PM
Nice,

One thing I hope is in the merger, they modify their livery to have it the NW tan instead of white, gives it a bit more "look".

hiss srq
2008-02-14, 08:01 PM
I wonder if Delta is going to keep their DC-9's around for a little while. ;)

Delta777LR
2008-02-14, 08:10 PM
I doubt that Delta would keep them awhile, They will probably phase them out right away. Delta hasnt operated any older nines since the early ninetys, so who knows

hiss srq
2008-02-14, 08:22 PM
I doubt that Delta would keep them awhile, They will probably phase them out right away. Delta hasnt operated any older nines since the early ninetys, so who knows
I know, my attempt at humor was to engage and flare the NWA people.

nwafan20
2008-02-14, 08:37 PM
Thanks Hiss ;)

They will not and wont dump that much capacity right away, that is what people don't understand. NW's DC-9 replacement schedule is probably what they will go by, it is already a very aggressive schedule.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-14, 09:13 PM
I agree with nwafan. They will not dump all of that capacity that quick.