PDA

View Full Version : Quick Weekend in DC - CR7/9 Question

kc2aqg
2008-02-05, 11:12 PM
Hey All-

Just had a last minute trip to DC come up for this weekend to visit a buddy of mine down there. Booked Comair both ways (I know I know, why would you go DL Conx out of JFK with such a cluster$#!& of an operation), but they were the best option for the best price with $211 after corp. discounts.

The good news is that it's a CR9 going and a CR7 coming back (good news for upgrade to first on the CR9 with my medallion status). Has anyone been on the CR7 or CR9? How does it compare to the older CRJ-200? I'm very curious to fly on both as I haven't been on the newer ones yet.

Matt Molnar
2008-02-06, 02:46 PM
Booked Comair both ways (I know I know, why would you go DL Conx out of JFK with such a cluster$#!& of an operation)

It's not all bad, you get to walk out on the ramp!

kc2aqg
2008-02-06, 02:49 PM
Actually, I only get to walk out on the ramp on the way back with the CR7. The CR9 boards from gates 17/18 via the jetway. So much for that lol.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-02-06, 03:39 PM
CR7 is ok. I have been on it. They us a jetway at most small airports that have them, but in big hubs, its you and the tarmac.

The CR7 is better than the CRJ2. I would choose the CR7 over the CRJ anytime.

T-Bird76
2008-02-06, 03:59 PM
The CR9 isn't anything great...its very long that's about it, the windows are sort of below you. I flew on one of US's CR9's last year. Its basically a CR2 but longer. Again nothing to write home about.

LGA777
2008-02-06, 04:51 PM
When the Comair CR9 briefly served LGA it went to DL Mainline gates with a jetway whereas the CR7 goes to the blastfence with all the smaller RJ's and you get bussed about a block across the ramp to the terminal.

Cheers

LGA777

cancidas
2008-02-06, 04:57 PM
when i fly to MRY i go via HP CR9s. we board on a jetway in PHX, but it's a ramp-only operation in MRY. the CR9 is way better than the CR2, even in the non-exit rows i sit comfortably without pressing hinges into my kneecaps. for me, the CR2 is an exit-row only airplane. of course, i'll take the front office if anyone is offering.

kc2aqg
2008-02-10, 11:50 PM
Just a quick update to the thread as I just got home from DC. First off, that city is awesome! Lots to do, people are friendly, everything is clean and not all that crowded, it was really a blast!

Got upgraded to First on the CRJ-900 on the trip down, and despite a 2.5 hour delay waiting for the aircraft to come in from Boston, it was totally worth it. The legroom, seat quality, and service you get in first is simply the best. I could get used to this upgrade thing! On the way back, our comair flight on the CR7 was going to be delayed for 2+ hours as well due to ATC delays from the weather, so I hopped on the Shuttle MD-88 over to LGA to get home a little earlier. We spent some time holding on the ground and circling long island and finally approached LGA on the LOC 31 with a pretty smooth landing despite a bumpy approach. All in all, great flights and a great weekend.

Long live the MADDOG and the JT8D!!!