PDA

View Full Version : TSA Blog

emshighway
2008-01-30, 06:30 PM
http://www.tsa.gov/blog

This should be fun :roll:

lijk604
2008-01-30, 06:42 PM
Hi! My name is Ethel and I'm from Wisconsin. I like music, I love ice cream, and I adore weird facts: Did you know that elephants can smell water from as far away as three miles? I joined the TSA about a year ago - prior to that I attended MIT where I earned degrees in Biology, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, and had the amazing opportunity to work on projects like designing artificial gravity systems for NASA.

So...am I to understand that someone who has -3- college degrees and worked for NASA is happy to work for $10/hr at a Security Checkpoint???? Why don't I believe this is real?

T-Bird76
2008-01-30, 08:16 PM
I wonder how much the Gov't spent to come up with this PR move....?

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-30, 08:42 PM
Hi! My name is Ethel and I'm from Wisconsin. I like music, I love ice cream, and I adore weird facts: Did you know that elephants can smell water from as far away as three miles? I joined the TSA about a year ago - prior to that I attended MIT where I earned degrees in Biology, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, and had the amazing opportunity to work on projects like designing artificial gravity systems for NASA.

So...am I to understand that someone who has -3- college degrees and worked for NASA is happy to work for $10/hr at a Security Checkpoint???? Why don't I believe this is real?

Honestly, I don't know why you assume she's a screener. I assumed most of these folks were fairly high-up management.

emshighway
2008-01-30, 08:47 PM
I actually don't know what she does. By the way it's not $10 an hour. I don't think we spent much if anything for setting up the blog after all we have a whole IT department that spends too much time screwing other things up.

lijk604
2008-01-30, 10:04 PM
Honestly, I don't know why you assume she's a screener. I assumed most of these folks were fairly high-up management.

I guess I jumped the gun. Maybe she is a screener, maybe she isn't. Just seems like a LOT of degrees to be stuck in TSA management. With her credentials, why would you leave NASA?

Midnight Mike
2008-01-30, 10:19 PM
She is a TSA screening Manager

As a TSA Screening Manager I would just like to say that I think this blog will be informative for both the public and the screening force at large! Maybe it will bridge the gap that seems to have formed between the public and the TSA.

A TSA Screening Manager salary ranges from $44,000 to $68,000

lijk604
2008-01-31, 05:10 PM

As a TSA Screening Manager I would just like to say that I think this blog will be informative for both the public and the screening force at large! Maybe it will bridge the gap that seems to have formed between the public and the TSA.

So you got to college, get THREE degrees, work some at NASA, and you are content to make $68k/yr? Yikes!

emshighway
2008-01-31, 08:13 PM
b

So you got to college, get THREE degrees, work some at NASA, and you are content to make $68k/yr? Yikes!

May not have been her choice. With the decline in jobs 6 years ago the market was thin.

Midnight Mike
2008-01-31, 08:19 PM

People change jobs all the time, knew a guy that went from a 6 digit salary to pursue his dream of becoming a pilot. He is now flying for the Regionals probably making about $26k per year.

Picking out a famous one, Michael Jordan retired from basketball to pursue his dream of becoming a baseball player & took a nice cut in pay, yes he was far from poor, but, it does serve as an example of people changing careers.

lijk604
2008-01-31, 10:30 PM

People change jobs all the time, knew a guy that went from a 6 digit salary to pursue his dream of becoming a pilot. He is now flying for the Regionals probably making about $26k per year.

Picking out a famous one, Michael Jordan retired from basketball to pursue his dream of becoming a baseball player & took a nice cut in pay, yes he was far from poor, but, it does serve as an example of people changing careers.

All well and good, but these people changed their jobs to pursue a dream. Maybe it's just me, but I could not see myself saying, hmmmm, I think I'll leave NASA to pursue my dream of being a TSA Screening Manager. But that's just me.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-31, 11:19 PM
Don't worry, she's probably just a convicted felon.

T-Bird76
2008-01-31, 11:27 PM

Or and illegal alien, LOLOL

emshighway
2008-02-01, 12:49 PM

Un-called for!!!!!! :x

We have had many people come to the TSA because they wanted to do something after 911.

T-Bird76
2008-02-01, 12:52 PM

Un-called for!!!!!! :x

We have had many people come to the TSA because they wanted to do something after 911.

It was joke! ;)

emshighway
2008-02-01, 03:08 PM
It was joke! ;)

:lol: :roll:

Matt Molnar
2008-02-08, 12:16 PM
The TSA blog has allegedly had its first impact on real world TSA ops. Early this week some commenters questioned why they were being forced to remove all their electronics items from their carry-ons. TSA HQ did not set this policy and said they were unaware that this was being done.They found that some local offices had implemented this procedure independently, so they told them to stop as of Monday afternoon. On one side you can say it's great that this worked out. On the other you can ask why on earth does TSA need a blog to regulate SOP? http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/02/hooray-bloggers.html

They've also provided a somewhat detailed explanation for the carry-on liquids policy.
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/02/more-on ... hings.html (http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/02/more-on-liquid-rules-why-we-do-things.html)

emshighway
2008-02-08, 07:33 PM
:roll: It's called interpretation.