PDA

View Full Version : Delta International Arrivals @ JFK - where do you meet them?

Nonstop2AUH
2008-01-29, 07:23 PM
My apologies for this very specific question, but I've been unable to find the answer on Delta.com or the Port's JFK site. I need to meet a large group of clients arriving @ JFK on a DL international flight (specifically, from MAN), but am not quite sure where they come out of (Terminal 2 or Terminal 3) and where we can stage the bus, as the two-building layout is a bit confusing. Usually they come with BA and T7 is quite an easy terminal to deal with, but not sure what the DL layout is like and the websites aren't really helpful. Does anyone know this or have any tips on doing this smoothly?

Iberia A340-600
2008-01-29, 07:41 PM
I believe Terminal 3. Terminal 2 only has a domestic arrivals hall if my memory serves me correctly.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-01-29, 10:47 PM
I think you are right. T3 holds most of DL's "eqipment" if I remember correctly.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-30, 11:59 AM
T2 is used only for First and Biz Class check-in. Everything else is at T3.

RDU-JFK
2008-01-30, 12:51 PM
Yup, DL's immigrations facilities are in Terminal 3 right under the "south" side of the terminal (under gates 10 and 11 of T3 if you look at a map). The arrivals location right under the AirTrain Entrance of T3 (where the old zodiac signs were) is for Domestic...International arrivals are on the level underneath Domestic "mid-terminal" check-in (look for Baggage Claims A, B, and C)--this will be the place to meet int'l passengers after they cleared customs.

Confused yet? :borat: Just go to T3 and ask a Red Coat.

Nonstop2AUH
2008-01-30, 05:58 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all that, especially RDU-JFK's most specific answer! I love the old WorldPort for the PanAm history (have fond memories of flying on 747s to SJU as a kid) but I've not been there lately and I know they've moved things around a bit to try to make the old place more efficient. I hope they've at least gotten rid of the indoor pigeons.

Nonstop2AUH
2008-02-11, 03:25 AM
Ok, so I had to post a follow-up to this in case anyone else was interested in the topic. Information about the layout of Terminal 3 is hard to come by, the maps on DL's website and that of the Port are pretty useless (if it's for security reasons, I think they are going a bit overboard) but anyway...International arrivals are on the lower level, as RDU-JFK says, essentially underneath the building down the outdoor ramp from domestic arrivals Area D which is opposite lower level of the AirTrain elevator. Once down there, international arrivals are in Areas A, B, or C but currently come out only at A and B as C is closed for construction. If you're meeting arriving passengers, you can only really get to this area on foot in as much as the underground location permits "authorized vehicles only" i.e. crew and other scheduled buses although curiously, there is a yellow taxi stand down there as well. DL customer service people seem nowhere to be found outside of the secure area, which means practically the entire building the way it's configured. On intl. arrivals level, the only DL staff apparently on hand are the ones in the baggage office, outside the currently disused Area C, but there is also an info counter with some Port employees at it. I know this because the Port info counter people and the DL baggage office people gave me some conflicting information about how one can pick up a group from intl. arrivals. Anyway, the answer is apparently to walk them with their bags up the outdoor (but covered) ramp to domestic Area D (no fun after a long flight) and have the vehicle come around and get them there, as that is not "authorized vehicles only." I love the old WorldPort as much as anyone, but the current configuration is really a bit of a maze and the lack of knowledgeable staff who are on the same page doesn't help!

RDU-JFK
2008-02-11, 12:09 PM
It really is a fascinating terminal. One time I arrived on a Connection Flight in Terminal 2 but I decided to check out T3 just for kicks. Once I had my fill I was trying to go downstairs to the Arrivals areas A B and C. I finally found an elevator that took me down to that area which was deserted. I wound up walking along the road to arrival area D where I caught a cab. The elevator still had a button to reach the rooftop parking which I thought was pretty cool.

This terminal is so poorly designed yet its awesome. I always look for old evidence of Pan Am but its tough to find any.

Nonstop2AUH
2008-02-11, 06:27 PM
Well the Terminal 3 design is state of the art - for the early '60s! A time when there was essentially no airport security, and air travel was primarily for the wealthy. I suppose DL is doing their best to meet the challenges of more security and passenger volume than anyone could have imagined 45 years ago, but they could at least put a useful terminal map on the website that identifies passenger pickup areas. And perhaps they could also get the Burger King facing the front entrance to use a more subtle signage as it's not accessible to the public anyway.

As for PAA remnants, I have noticed over at least one of doorways in the departures area off the interior roadway there are some of the graphic, sort of geometric symbols Pan Am installed in the '70s (I think) to direct passengers to different areas. IIRC from childhood they were different colors but they haven't been used in years and DL has blanked them out, so the shapes are discernible there but they are now all the same color to blend in with the background of the doorframe. I think perhaps also some of the terminal flooring and tiles in the bathrooms may be original as well, but I don't think there's anything left with the PAA logo or branding on it.

At times I've thought of flying out of there just to check out the interior of the terminal, as almost nothing inside is accessible to the nonticketed public. But then I'd have to fly Delta lol.

alexey
2012-09-20, 11:07 AM
I know this thread is not really about Terminal 2, but I found it while trying to figure out where to meet my parents when they landed at T2 (domestic from DTW) and info about T2 domestic flights is also hard to find. So after they landed at T2, they came out straight from T2 no problem (I was afraid I'd have to go to T3 or something).

Then another time I was flying out of JFK and my ticket said T2, but I was economy with no bags to check. So I thought that I have nothing to loose and just went in, got my boarding pass, got into "economy security line" (as opposed to first class) and got on my plane just fine. Now I didn't check any bags, but it seemed like you could do that too (right side of the isle looked like economy and left like first).

Just thought I'd share if other people are wandering.

Speedbird1
2012-09-24, 04:40 PM
Even sadder, the old Pan Am Worldport is slated to be demolished. I was hoping that some of it could be saved, such as the saucer-type roof, but I think it will go as well. Things went downhill for that terminal after the terrorist attack in 1986 of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie. They soon put-up fencing all around the Rooftop Parking, thus destroying the view. I found it useless to try to take photos even with zoom lenses as the fence was doubled or maybe tripled for security. Soon after, the roof was closed period. It was a spotter's dream during the 70's and 80's as one could get a bird's eye view of the Air France Concorde preparing for departure; lowering her nose and starting-up the engines. All arrivals could be seen as were all departures since all runways were in view.