PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union Address

mirrodie
2008-01-28, 10:41 PM
It's on. What does everyone think?

But one question nagging at me, perhaps someone has the right answer.

I've wondered this ever since President Carter's addresses would cut into my primetime viewing. My parents would watch him while I sat there, all annoyed, wondering who this peanut was and why was he hogging the TV.

Why are Presidential addresses shown on all broadcast channels?
Is is law? Respect? I am seriously asking the question wondering why they all would show it when one could perhaps show something different.

Regarding Bush's speech, what did you'll think?

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-28, 10:50 PM
It draws huge ratings and there's enough to go around among all the channels. They each want a piece.

Midnight Mike
2008-01-28, 10:54 PM
It's on. What does everyone think?

But one question nagging at me, perhaps someone has the right answer.

I've wondered this ever since President Carter's addresses would cut into my primetime viewing. My parents would watch him while I sat there, all annoyed, wondering who this peanut was and why was he hogging the TV.

Is is law? Respect? I am seriously asking the question wondering why they all would show it when one could perhaps show something different.

Regarding Bush's speech, what did you'll think?

It is a Presidential courtesy, besides, it would look really bad if the media would not cover the President, just imagine the backlash from the viewers.

T-Bird76
2008-01-28, 11:06 PM
Sorry I was at the gym making use of my time in a constructive manner...listening to Bush makes me ill.

moose135
2008-01-28, 11:09 PM
I forgot all about it...of course, at this point in his presidency, it's not like GWB is going to have anything earth-shattering to say - no new programs, certainly no plan to end the mess in Iraq. If I want to be inspired by something a president says, I just pop in a "West Wing" DVD and wish it was real :wink:

Midnight Mike
2008-01-28, 11:26 PM
What I find interesting is that people had a comment about the speech before the President was completed.

The Governor of Kansas that gave the rebuttal, started off with a nice speech about working together & then went into a partisan speech. :roll: , oh well, at least it started off good.

Also, she could have congratulated the President on his final State of the Union address, or something like that......

NIKV69
2008-01-29, 12:37 AM

It's a big event and I think everyone should listen to what our president has to say. I always watch it (When a Rep is in office) and enjoy it.

I thought the speech was very good. He put Pelosi on notice as to what bills he would send back and made Iran aware we are making sure they behave themselves. He laid the ground work toward maybe getting some peace in Palestine and brought to light the fact the surge has yielded results in Iraq and that an end is in sight and that the Generals will dictate that.

adam613
2008-01-29, 12:44 AM
What I don't get is the proliferation of State of the Union drinking games. That seems a bit tacky to me, and everyone here knows how I feel about GWB...

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-29, 08:13 AM
There were parts that I was unimpressed with; the war, the economy somewhat.

However, his stern comments on spending were music to my earmarks! That's one of the most important economic issues in this country to me this election...our out of control spending and waste of my tax dollars.

Politics aside, I really like Bush as a person. I enjoy his personality. I would enjoy having a drink with the guy...though I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with him. haha

Midnight Mike
2008-01-29, 09:49 AM
There were parts that I was unimpressed with; the war, the economy somewhat.

However, his stern comments on spending were music to my earmarks! That's one of the most important economic issues in this country to me this election...our out of control spending and waste of my tax dollars.

Politics aside, I really like Bush as a person. I enjoy his personality. I would enjoy having a drink with the guy...though I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with him. haha

Earmarks! When Steny Hoyer (House Majority Leader) was interviewed last night, he was pretty pissed about what President Bush proposed in an effort to control earmarks.

Earmarks are abused by both the Republicans & Democrats, about time time they are reigned in.

nwafan20
2008-01-29, 08:04 PM
I really enjoyed the State of the Union last night, I thought it was very good. I was glad he put the Democrats in their place who were saying all he was going to do was "Focus on the past 7 years" Which he did very little of. I thought his plans for his last few months in office were very good, there was some I disagreed with, but overall very good.

Very glad to hear that he is going to do something about the earmarks. The United States' spending is out of control, it needs to be tamed, something of which both parties are guilty of not doing.