PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson Drops Out

wunaladreamin
2008-01-22, 04:41 PM
NY Times:

Fred Thompson Drops Out of the Presidential Race
By MICHAEL POWELL

Published: January 23, 2008 HUH???????? (is the Times pulling a donald sutherland in new zealand?)

Fred Thompson, the expected Republican front-runner who spent most of his campaign loping in the middle of the pack, dropped out of the presidential race Tuesday.

He finished third in the Republican primary in South Carolina, behind Senator John McCain and Mike Huckabee. Mr. Thompson had proclaimed South Carolina was his firewall, a state that he hoped would rescue his flagging candidacy. After his defeat, he stopped campaigning, deciding not to follow most of the Republican field to Florida, which holds its primary next Tuesday.

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States," Mr. Thompson said in a statement. "I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people." Read more... (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/us/politics/23thompson.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1201035814-7Uy5u79Pe2z7MHz/tCoMlg)

bonanzabucks
2008-01-22, 04:55 PM
No surprise considering what a dud his whole campaign was. At the beginning, I honestly thought he'd get the Republican nod. Amazing how things change!

adam613
2008-01-22, 05:16 PM
This is a shame. I thought Thompson was by far the best of the Republican candidates; even though I disagree with most of what he believes, he is a lot more trustworthy than the rest of the pack.

(Regarding the publication date in the future: Most newspapers consider "publication date" the date the article appeared in the paper. When news breaks in the middle of the day, the article might appear on the web that day, but the article will appear in the paper tomorrow, so it gets a publication date of tomorrow.)

Midnight Mike
2008-01-22, 05:23 PM
No surprise considering what a dud his whole campaign was. At the beginning, I honestly thought he'd get the Republican nod. Amazing how things change!

Well, I can honestly say that I said Thompson would not make it, I love being right :borat:

bonanzabucks
2008-01-22, 06:26 PM
This is a shame. I thought Thompson was by far the best of the Republican candidates; even though I disagree with most of what he believes, he is a lot more trustworthy than the rest of the pack.

Fred Thompson trustworthy? lol The guy was a long-time lobbyist. They're are the most untrustworthy scum in politics. Thompson didn't even take his own campaign seriously and even said he didn't think he had a shot to win. If that was the case, why did he continuously solicit millions of dollars from donors? That's pretty low, in my opinion.

Well, I can honestly say that I said Thompson would not make it, I love being right

I thought that him being a "good ole Southern boy" would automatically get him the nod. A lot of people saw him as the savior of the Republican Party. He polled really well nationally mostly based on his image rather than substance. His poor campaigning did him in.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-01-22, 07:37 PM
I think the all important question is whether this means he will return as the Manhattan D.A. on Law and Order!

moose135
2008-01-22, 07:55 PM
Most newspapers consider "publication date" the date the article appeared in the paper.

Because it's it's not "news" until it appears in print!

I think the all important question is whether this means he will return as the Manhattan D.A. on Law and Order!

I doubt it - Jack McCoy has moved up to interim DA until the election, although they haven't given a reason in the storyline. I don't think he'll be back, especially not after the first class snark they dished out. When one of the ADAs mentioned the DA's office used to have all sorts of photos and awards displayed, McCoy said "It's a working office now..." :D

flyboy 28
2008-01-22, 08:06 PM

I think he'll be going back to Dulles Tower. :P

Tom_Turner
2008-01-26, 11:06 AM
http://lost1sf.imeem.com/music/gIY8FO2D ... _superfly/ (http://lost1sf.imeem.com/music/gIY8FO2D/curtis_mayfield_freddies_dead_theme_from_superfly/)

NIKV69
2008-01-26, 11:41 AM
I think he'll be going back to Dulles Tower.

Yea but this time Bruce Willis won't be around to bail him out.

T-Bird76
2008-01-26, 01:40 PM
I think he'll be going back to Dulles Tower.

Yea but this time Bruce Willis won't be around to bail him out.

Yeah Willis is to busy trying to help your boy Rudy....he needs all the help he can get right now! LOLOLOL