PDA

View Full Version : FlyGlobeSpan Surrenders ETOPS License

ChrisW
2008-01-15, 08:44 AM
Knock Airport's transatlantic partner Flyglobespan has voluntarily surrendered the safety certification that allows it to fly the shortest route to the US. The move comes just months after Flyglobespan won back the licence after the UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) suspended it on foot of safety concerns. However this time Irish passengers will be spared delays of up to an hour because the airline's Irish routes only run in the summer and won't resume until May. A Flyglobespan spokesman told the Irish Independent he was "fully confident" of having the licence restored by then. "This is a very minor thing really, we hope to have it all sorted out in a few months and definitely before May," he added. http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/flyglobespan-surrenders-safety-licence-for-short-route-to-us-1266331.html

If you thought transatlantic flights on a 737 were brutal WITH an ETOPS license, here's another hour or two for you. Anyone here flown with them to Knock yet?

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-15, 09:17 AM
I just don't know what to say about any airline that even considers running a 737 over the Atlantic. What a joke.

T-Bird76
2008-01-15, 10:17 AM
I just don't know what to say about any airline that even considers running a 737 over the Atlantic. What a joke.

Its not all to different then running a 757 across the pond, narrow body, just not as long. However I'm not a fan of running a 757 over the Atlantic either unless its EOS.

Midnight Mike
2008-01-15, 10:29 AM

Don't forget about Aloha flying their 737 birds over the Pacific :mrgreen:

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-15, 10:44 AM
Its not all to different then running a 757 across the pond, narrow body, just not as long. However I'm not a fan of running a 757 over the Atlantic either unless its EOS.

I was more so referring to operationally as opposed to passenger comfort. The 737 has much less range and is more likely to require a tech stop should htere be any change in weather. Anything beyond Ireland is really pushing it with a 737.

adam613
2008-01-15, 01:27 PM
[quote="Phil D.":c40d3]I just don't know what to say about any airline that even considers running a 737 over the Atlantic. What a joke.

Don't forget about Aloha flying their 737 birds over the Pacific :mrgreen:[/quote:c40d3]

United also used to fly 737s from SFO to Honolulu. I'm not sure if they still do.

hiss srq
2008-01-15, 03:25 PM
UA never flew the 737 trans pack. You would be kissing your arse to the sharks with tanks topped in a 733 or 735 from the west coastnot mentioning the lack of ETOPS for that type in the 300/500 model. The DC-8 was very common on the route untill the advent of the 757 in the fleet though from what I understand.