PDA

View Full Version : Update on JFK's old T8

kc2aqg
2008-01-14, 04:39 PM
Just curious if anyone has an update on what is/will happen to JFK's old T8 (the old AA Int'l Terminal). I passed by it a few weeks ago and the building looked like it was fully intact, though empty. I believe that the TB alleyway leading to the building is closed though. Does anyone know what the intention is for the building and what the timeframe is for what is to be done?

LGA777
2008-01-14, 06:53 PM
As far as the remaining gates/concourse I beleive it is to be torn down to make room for the final phase of T9, one T9 concourse is to be extended east where the remaining T8 gates are now.

Regards

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-14, 10:00 PM
Some parts of the outside walls of T8 have been taken down in section, revealing a strange stone construction. Then, there are holes knocked into these walls about 8-10 feet around.

It seriously looks like a secret room that you discovered you "Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past". Go look at it from the AirTrain and tell me I'm lying.

Here's a pic I took of it from the AirTrain with my cell phone (poor quality), and another shot to compare it to.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/aawall1.jpg

http://www.cf-network.com/cfan/IMG/jpg/9-55.jpg

nwafan20
2008-01-14, 10:55 PM
Jeez, Phil someone has been playing too many video games ;)

:D

adam613
2008-01-14, 11:52 PM
Phil, I haven't laughed so hard since...the French missle!

Smartass Flyboy
2008-01-15, 01:45 AM
Those of you allowed "'round back" can see soem actual progress. The asbestos removal is almost complete and the wing closest to new T8 is starting to have pieces removed. Interior there is a salvage company that was ripping out whatever has scrap value. As I understand it once the asphault plants reopen in the spring we should be ready to clear back the closest parts of old T8 and finish the ramp and apron areas for what will be gate 14 and 16 in new T8. Gate huses haven't even been contructed yet so figure probably end of next summer for this stage. Eventually Ron is correct, the whole thing comes down and the new terminal is designed to have concourse "A" built. The new auto shop has been topped out and should e copleted this summer as well.

kc2aqg
2008-01-15, 01:11 PM
New Auto Shop? Never heard that one before. Can you elaborate a little on this? It sounds interesting...

Smartass Flyboy
2008-01-15, 01:27 PM
New Auto Shop? Never heard that one before. Can you elaborate a little on this? It sounds interesting...

Auto Shop is the dept. name for ground equipment maint. Currently it operates out of both the hanger and a temporary facility that was created by using temp walls to close off the tunnel under the ramp tower. The terminal facility is getting a new building between new T8 and the tunnel. It will be a multistory building with storage space for tools and parts. The hanger facility will still exist for big jobs, but terminal work will have a real indoor facility to work in. It is the steel frame that can be seen from the Airtrain or going into the tunnel.

Jonesbeach
2008-01-15, 01:44 PM
As a former engineer on site for most of the construction of the new terminal, I can tell you want was current 9 months ago. The east phase of the new terminal has been removed from the drawings for quite some time. (The east phase of the terminal was to account for about 45% of the main terminal!) Originally what is now built was supposed to be mirrored on top of the space that the old terminal 8 now occupies, resulting in a terminal with 2100' of frontage on the road. (The white truss you see on the east side of the terminal is actually just beyond the centerline of the terminal.) With the downturn after 9/11, AA removed that phase from the drawings, as well as Concourse A, which was supposed to extend along the roadway on both the east and west sides to serve Eagle flights. The latest rumors I've heard are that the Port Authority has set a deadline for American to decide whether or not they are going to build the eastern phase of the terminal. After that the Port is voiding the lease on that land because it's far too valuable to be used as just hardstand. Maybe they'll lease it to someone else. As my tenure was ending up, AA was trying to decide what was the bare minimum that they could build to claim they are using the space as per the lease requirements. Gates 14 and 16, which extend to the east off the end of Concourse B, are designed so that in the event AA wants to continue the rest of Concourse B at a later date, they can do so without shutting down gates 14 and 16.

The "new auto shop" is actually the GSE building, which I believe stands for General Services something. Its the maintenance shop for all the equipment that AA uses on the ramp. If I remember correctly, the ground floor is for maintenance and the upper floor is office space for admin functions.

Here are some pictures I took of the architectural model before AA tossed it in the dumpster.

http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/planes/AA-model-2.jpg
http://www.rankel.net/stephenlauren/planes/AA-model-3.jpg

hiss srq
2008-01-15, 02:40 PM
Wow, how terrible is that of them to dump the model. I know one of us would enjoy that in our basement. (waves hand)

flyguy1
2008-01-15, 11:08 PM
Ive never thought of how the ground equipment used at an airport needs its own "garage". I always assumed most of this work would just be done by local garages, etc.

h2opunk1822
2008-01-16, 01:27 AM
jetblue's is actually over by the old northwest hangar.. and used to be over by towerair where the commuter buses used to park.. hanger 41..

moose135
2008-01-16, 01:54 AM
Ive never thought of how the ground equipment used at an airport needs its own "garage". I always assumed most of this work would just be done by local garages, etc.

A lot of the vehicles used don't have state license plates, nor are they "street-legal", so they can't be driven to or from a local garage. Also, aside from vans, pickups and the like, there is a lot of specialized vehicles that most garages probably aren't equipped to handle. Plus, just the convenience of having it done on the spot and the lack of down-time makes it more cost effective to do in-house. Years ago, when I worked security down at the Pan Am hangars, they had a large vehicle maintenance shop in Bldg 214, next to Hangar 14.

kc2aqg
2008-01-16, 10:43 AM
Wow, really interesting stuff. Never really considered the service vehicles aspect of airport ops.

Moose - your post brought me to another question, does anyone know what is going on with hangar 41 now a days? It's been almost 8 years since Tower ceased operation, who's using that space? I still can't believe Tower called that "our own terminal", anyone will know what I mean if you've flown them.

Jonesbeach - thanks very much for sharing pictures of the original model, those are awesome! It would have been a great facility if it was built to original plan. I went through there once a little over a year ago and it is great to see JFK with a brand new terminal (and soon to see another with T5 opening for B6). It'll be a while before I see either again though, I'm a slave to the widget and the worldport!

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-16, 10:57 AM
Hangar 41 is used by Port Authority for training, I understand.

kc2aqg
2008-01-16, 11:05 AM
Heh, that's about all it's good for!

Imagine the Southwest cattle call, but for a 747. Then imagine three 747's leaving at the same time...

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-16, 11:33 AM
Wait up. According to my diagram, there is no building/hangar 41. Tower's hangar and terminal were building/hangar 17 and 213. Unless they were renamed. Those two buildings, as I said, are used by Port.