PDA

View Full Version : Katrina's victims ask for huge checks

Midnight Mike
2008-01-09, 06:32 AM
Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

The total number — $3,014,170,389,176,410 — is the dollar figure so far sought from some 489,000 claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of the total number of claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_ ... d_lawsuits (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080109/ap_on_re_us/katrina_flood_lawsuits)

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-09, 06:56 AM
Why would anyone actually think they deserve a billion dollars, hurricane or not?

2008-01-09, 08:30 AM
Give them some new teeth and a 12th grade education. Thats it.

hiss srq
2008-01-09, 09:34 AM
Give them some new teeth and a 12th grade education. Thats it.
:borat:
No one deserves that much. If you are going to do anything above and beyond that give them a damn doublewide a a gift certificate fora free move next time since many were dumb enough to move back in the first place.

2008-01-09, 11:11 AM
Ok. Give them a new television so they can watch the weather channel. Or some crystal meth for their mayor so he can have the school busses ready next time.

adam613
2008-01-09, 12:06 PM
Or some crystal meth for their mayor

I thought that was DC?

Midnight Mike
2008-01-09, 12:34 PM
Ok. Give them a new television so they can watch the weather channel. Or some crystal meth for their mayor so he can have the school busses ready next time.

Mayor Ray "School bus" Nagin was incompetent, but certainly not a druggie. :wink:

hiss srq
2008-01-09, 12:54 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/jdbeck_01/Political%20Jokes/941d.jpg

Midnight Mike
2008-01-09, 01:00 PM
That is great, I never saw that one before!!!!!

Beer is on me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Politics/Katrina.jpg

T-Bird76
2008-01-09, 01:05 PM
Of course most of these claims are laughable but one cannot not deny the fact that their local and state Gov't dropped the ball and people did suffer. I think people forget that the Federal Gov't can't simply some into a State or City and take over; our system doesn't work like that.

I will say though Maxjet 100 you seem to have a problem with race I've noticed....this isn't the first post you've made where you've made a statement making a racial innuendo. "buy them some teeth and a 12th grade education." I don't know who you are and I truly hope I never have the opportunity to find out. I find it ashame someone like yourself are part of these boards, because you certainly don't reflect the majority here.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-09, 01:14 PM
On a personal note, I agree with Tommy's comments in regards to MAXJET100. His comments did not specifically implicate race, so that is why his post remains, but my personal thought is that he was referring to black people.

However, because of other posts that have been made by him, he is no longer a member of this site. I'd usually not share that publicly, but I wanted to save all of you from beginning a bash-fest on his posts.

Thanks,

-Phil

wunaladreamin
2008-01-09, 02:27 PM
These people are NUTS! Granted, their local governments dropped the ball, but they had almost a WEEKS notice. Even if I had no car or money, I'd take whatever I could and walk as far as I could before something hit. It's called common sense. This is what is wrong with this country. Too many people lean over the plate so they can get hit by a pitch and get a walk only to comlplain and play martyr afterwards.

NIKV69
2008-01-09, 02:44 PM
These people are NUTS! Granted, their local governments dropped the ball, but they had almost a WEEKS notice. Even if I had no car or money, I'd take whatever I could and walk as far as I could before something hit. It's called common sense. This is what is wrong with this country. Too many people lean over the plate so they can get hit by a pitch and get a walk only to comlplain and play martyr afterwards.

Yep, spot on! I blame the Governor more than anyone. I would have got my hands on every bus I could within 50 miles and kept calling GW till he helped out. Those people could have been evacuated. At one of those news confrences the Gov and Nagin where just sitting there like deers in the headlights. They dropped the ball badly.

adam613
2008-01-09, 03:19 PM
A week of notice??? They had 30 years of notice. It was only a matter of time before a major hurricane hit New Orleans, and Katrina wasn't nearly the worst-case scenario. Hurricane experts have been talking about an event like this since about 1969. (That was what I used to read about before I rediscovered airplanes...)

A number of balls were dropped here, both by various levels of government and by the freeloaders that the media loves to talk about...

NIKV69
2008-01-09, 07:30 PM
To respond to him, it is no secret that a majority of Katrina victims are poor black people. Also a fact is NO's local government let them down big time. They had at least 72 hours of notice that a Cat 5 storm would make landfall in their area. At that point it's head to the hills with whatever you can carry and get the hell out of there. This clearly didn't happen. Now, I believe our federal government's response was less than perfect but I don't believe it was because GWB hates blacks. I think FEMA was overwhelmed and the total scope of the disaster was too much for anyone to do anything. Adam also raises a good point. Being under sea level a catastophe lilke this was ineveitable. No matter what your love for the city of NO it was a recipe for disaster and we saw how bad that disaster could be. There was no bombs at the levees and no conspiracy. Just mother nature showing what she can do to an area vulnerable to a natural disasters and horrible response.

nwafan20
2008-01-09, 11:44 PM
There was one guy who went on Fox News durring Katrina and actually claimed Bush planted bombs on the levees... :roll:

But seriously 3 quadrillion? Is someone nuts?