PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Fly By

Gerard
2008-01-01, 02:47 PM
Yes it just happened up in Buffalo where the Buffalo Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins are playing the 2008 Winter
Classic at Ralph Wilson Stadium in front of 73,000 fans and a steady snow falling. But that didnt keep 4 UH-60
Blackhawks from doing a low level flyby after a stirring rendition of "God Bless America" by Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan.
There is also an aerial camera working but not sure if it is a blimp or helicopter. The ceiling looks pretty good
allowing them to operate. In fact some of the shots of the stadium with light clouds in the frame look pretty cool.
PS - it's on NBC now.

flyboy 28
2008-01-01, 02:51 PM
I'm watching this now. It's wild to see aerial shots of a hockey game. They showed the face off from above. Really cool. I also think they're using a fixed wing, not a helo or blimp.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-01, 03:16 PM
They played hockey in an open stadium? Anyone have pics of that?

moose135
2008-01-01, 03:17 PM
It's on NBC right now...

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-01, 03:29 PM
Oh my God! Wow. That is amazing.

I really want to see what these players think about this. Have they shared much commentary about their experience so far?

lijk604
2008-01-01, 07:09 PM
That was an awesome game! I was surprised at the flyby in those conditions, but for it to end in a shootout...WOW!

h2opunk1822
2008-01-01, 07:49 PM
yea it was an AMAZING game.. just to bad crosby won it!.. I HATE crosby!... Old Time Hockey at its finest!! cant wait for next years game!

cancidas
2008-01-01, 08:33 PM
that is pretty cool to see, expecially in this day and age. even though i had the game on the TV here at work i missed it all.

mirrodie
2008-01-01, 09:14 PM
Phil, have you seen Mystery, Alaska? I think you'd like it ;)

mirrodie
2008-01-02, 11:18 AM
HEard it mentioned on this mornings news radio. Looks like we might be seeing more of it.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-02, 07:25 PM
I hear the NHL is planning on doing it every New Year's Day, sort of like a hockey bowl game I guess. How awesome would this be...Rangers vs. Islanders at Shea or Yankees or Giants Stadium? :borat:

Gerard
2008-01-02, 07:38 PM
[>I hear the NHL is planning on doing it every New Year's Day, sort of like a hockey bowl game I guess. How awesome would this be...Rangers vs. Islanders at Shea or Yankees or Giants Stadium? <

Well that is exactly what they wanted for this year...Rangers-Islanders at Yankee Statdium but
for any number of reasons they couldnt pull it off. They are talking about it again next year at
Yankee Stadium and that would be cool because next baseball season is the last at the "Old"
Stadium which will come down.
The players to a man LOVED playing outdoors especially in front of over 70,000 people. Many of
these guys grew up playing hockey outside in Canada in conditions worse than yesterday. Both
my sons who play ice and roller hockey were salivating at the idea of playing like they did
yesterday.
And thinking about it I would guess the aerial camera would have to be either fixed or rotor and not
a blimp especially with the weather being so bad if it got real bad the plane/copter could get on
the ground faster.
And yeah I hate Crosby also (unless of course he was on the Rangers. LOL) but he is an exciting
player.

PhilDernerJr
2008-01-02, 08:00 PM
I am very glad to hear that the players enjoy this. I finally have a reason to look forward to New Years!