PDA

View Full Version : Snow Grounds 450 Flights at O'Hare

Matt Molnar
2007-12-28, 06:25 PM
About 20% of Chicago O'Hare's flights have been grounded so far today due to a snowstorm. 20 flights have been axed at Midway.

More: http://cbs2chicago.com/local/snowstorm. ... 19199.html (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/snowstorm.6.inches.2.619199.html)

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-12-28, 08:25 PM
Those two airports are a nightmare!!! O'Hare is worse than JFK!

Midway...forget it! Those runways are too short to handle planes on a snowy day!

Iberia A340-600
2007-12-28, 08:38 PM
I'm in Chicago right now. The snow had its rough moments in downtown when I could not see the Trump hotel going up across the street from my hotel however they showed an image of O'Hare and it looked pretty bad.

I'll be flying out on Sunday from O'Hare and hopefully the Continental cancellations will have been taken care of. I'll also e spotting at O'Hare tomorrow so that should give me a sense of how this is being handled.

Alex T
2007-12-29, 01:16 AM
Midway...forget it! Those runways are too short to handle planes on a snowy day!

How on earth is that even a statement to claim?

SNA has shorter runways as well as many other airports around the country.

Anyhow, thank god I didn't travel via MDW, I was literally going to board my flight MCI-MDW to continue on to STL but I heard snow storms were creeping to Chicago and I said FORGET IT, and took an earlier n/s to STL (this being yesterday, the 27th of Thurs)

Alex

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-12-29, 10:14 AM
How on earth is that even a statement to claim?

Do you recall the WN flight that skidded off the runway in the snow at MDW maybe two years ago?

Also, last I checked, SNA does not get snow.

mirrodie
2007-12-29, 10:58 AM
AA accounted for over 400 of those flights

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-12-29, 12:51 PM
That is horrible! I have never flown to O'Hare and probably never will. Even though MDW's runways are short, I will use them over ORD anyday.

AA 777
2007-12-29, 01:07 PM
Chicago is just one of the many "necessary evils" in this industry. In the summer we complain about the severe weather and then in the winter we complain about the snow/ice etc. The truth is ORD is vital to many airlines (read AA & UA). Chicago just happens to have a location that is bad, but we have to fly there. Its a huge center of business and AA & UA I'm sure have corporate contracts that they rely on.

On a more personal note I've connected many times in ORD when the weather was good and it was painless. Weather aside I think ORD is a good airport to transit. Just remember to check the weather!!

Matt Molnar
2007-12-29, 03:23 PM
Given a choice between going through the fence at Midway and taking a swim at LGA, I'll take the fence.

cancidas
2007-12-29, 04:30 PM
Given a choice between going through the fence at Midway and taking a swim at LGA, I'll take the fence.

i've almost gone through a fence once, so i'd have to say i'd take th drink at LGA. besides, we now have overrun pads. does ORD or MDW have them installed yet?

AA 777
2007-12-29, 04:51 PM
i've almost gone through a fence once, so i'd have to say i'd take th drink at LGA. besides, we now have overrun pads. does ORD or MDW have them installed yet?

AFAIK LGA only has the overrun pads on the end of 22 and the end of 13. The one on the end of 13 is almost useless as they almost never land on 13. As for going for a swim theres nothing on the end of 31 and 4 so I hope you know how to swim.

cancidas
2007-12-29, 05:25 PM
AFAIK LGA only has the overrun pads on the end of 22 and the end of 13. The one on the end of 13 is almost useless as they almost never land on 13. As for going for a swim theres nothing on the end of 31 and 4 so I hope you know how to swim.

you're right, but since landing 22 and departin 13 is the most common configuration here it makes sense that they installed the pads there. i do know how to swim, thought it's been a few years since i've been forced into the waters around NYC.