PDA

View Full Version : New Restrictions on Flying with Lithium Batteries

Matt Molnar
2007-12-28, 06:10 PM
On January 1, 2008 the DOT is implementing new restrictions on flying with lithium-ion and lithium-metal batteries. The most prevalent devices with these types of batteries are cameras, laptop computers and cell phones, so must of us will be affected. As usual, there is no explanation why they are implementing these rules, so it can only be speculated that it is to prevent the possibility of these batteries shorting out and causing a fire in the baggage hold, though to my knowledge this has never happened.

Here is a quick snapshot of the new rules...

BANNED
Spare (not installed) lithium batteries in checked baggage
Lithium-metal batteries containing over 2 grams of lithium in any baggage (most lithium-metal batteries are below 2 grams)
Lithium-ion batteries containing over 25 grams of lithium in any baggage (most lithium-ion camera, laptop and cellphone batteries are below 8 grams, some large laptop batteries and professional video camera batteries are between 8 and 25 grams)

ALLOWED
Spare (not installed) lithium batteries in carry-on baggage
Installed lithium batteries in checked baggage (with safety measures taken to ensure the device does not turn on)

See the DOT's Safe Travel (http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html) site for more details, including lithium weight limits.

T-Bird76
2007-12-28, 07:36 PM
there is no explanation why

I was just going to ask why but again its out Gov't so no explanation required. Speaking of dumb gov't reasons for things...Talking to some folks at JFK today regarding delays..the FAA has run out of reasons for delays that they post to port so now they are using the word "Other" for delays....WTF does other mean? We have a top notch system I tell yah...

Matt Molnar
2007-12-28, 07:51 PM
Well I've found a partial explanation on the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm): lithium is flammable. It goes on to say fires ignited by lithium-metal batteries cannot be extinguished by conventional firefighting equipment on board most aircraft, and includes a link to an FAA fire study (http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/). Fair enough. But wait! Lithium-ion battery fires, CAN be put out. Then why are they banned too?

Neither agency explains how the rules will be enforced. For example, if they find an offending battery in your checked bag, do they bump you from the flight? Do they simply confiscate the battery? Is there a way to get it back? All important questions when you're talking about expensive equipment.

cancidas
2007-12-28, 08:37 PM
are there any weight limitations on the batteries when you're carrying them spare? i don't know how much lithium are in my batteries. i've already had to have my CR123 batteries ground shipped to me from surefire...

emshighway
2007-12-28, 08:42 PM
While I know about the new FAA regulation I haven't seen the enforcement part yet. I'm hoping they don't push this on the TSA but since it is being broadcast on the TSA site also I don't have a good feeling.

Surrendered/confiscated items usually can not be retrieved. We have enough items deemed hazardous materials now.

Matt Molnar
2007-12-29, 06:43 PM
I guess one could hide their batteries in a bomb, thereby guaranteeing TSA won't find them.

BA-DUM-BUM-CHING!

emshighway
2007-12-29, 08:25 PM
I guess one could hide their batteries in a bomb, thereby guaranteeing TSA won't find them.

BA-DUM-BUM-CHING!

Funny, ******* :borat: