PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Airlines Shutting down

T-Bird76
2007-12-21, 02:50 PM
So after announcing they would shutter ISP and ALB and then the entire east Big Sky Airlines is shutting down all operations. They'll be transferring their routes to another airline, yet to be named. Big Sky has been around for sometime now and this certainly comes as a surprise to many.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071221/mn_big_s ... .html?.v=1 (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071221/mn_big_sky_mair_holdings.html?.v=1)

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-21, 03:04 PM
Who? Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

:wink:

But seriously, it's a shame.

ChrisW
2007-12-21, 07:14 PM
A shame for the employees of a mismanaged company, yes. I'm very anti-EAS. I think that if a city wants air service they should pay for it themselves. Some of these flights are being dispatched completely empty (as in zero passengers) or at most 3 people on them. And therein lies your problem.

T-Bird76
2007-12-22, 11:57 AM
A shame for the employees of a mismanaged company, yes. I'm very anti-EAS. I think that if a city wants air service they should pay for it themselves. Some of these flights are being dispatched completely empty (as in zero passengers) or at most 3 people on them. And therein lies your problem.

I've heard of that happening with these EAS flights, its really wild. I agree though if a community wants air service let them pay for it.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-12-29, 12:58 PM
I am Pro-EAS. HGR lost their Air Service a few months ago. They really need it and are having a lot of trouble. BWI is a shlep for these people. I have taken the drive from BWI to Hagerstown, and I feel that this airport deserves air service.

I think the reason that the airlines are operating empty flights out of the EAS Markets is because their fares are outrageous! Maybe if the airlines cut the fares, then those flights would not operate empty but maybe at 60-80 percent.

nwafan20
2007-12-29, 11:37 PM
I am Pro-EAS. HGR lost their Air Service a few months ago. They really need it and are having a lot of trouble. BWI is a shlep for these people. I have taken the drive from BWI to Hagerstown, and I feel that this airport deserves air service.

I think the reason that the airlines are operating empty flights out of the EAS Markets is because their fares are outrageous! Maybe if the airlines cut the fares, then those flights would not operate empty but maybe at 60-80 percent.

Why should the government pay for YOUR flights???? EAS is a very stupid program that should be shut down. If the town wants air service so much, let them pay for it with incentives.

It is very simple economics, if a town cannot support air service, why should they have it? Fares are so high because they need to cover costs, what do you want the government to do, pay for every flight out of every airport?

ChrisW
2007-12-30, 03:23 AM

Or, perhaps, a daily Beech 1900 is 60-80% MORE than the capacity actually needed.

Next.

T-Bird76
2007-12-30, 12:17 PM

Or, perhaps, a daily Beech 1900 is 60-80% MORE than the capacity actually needed.

Next.

I think your right Chris, perhaps a Stearman twice a day would be more like it.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-12-30, 03:14 PM
Why should the government pay for YOUR flights????

My flights were just an example. There are other people who have to make the trip to a far away airport. It isn't fair to do such a thing to the public especially when gas is so outrageously expensive. The government can also choose to end the program, but they obviously have a reason to keep it alive.

ChrisW
2007-12-30, 11:39 PM

My flights were just an example. There are other people who have to make the trip to a far away airport. It isn't fair to do such a thing to the public especially when gas is so outrageously expensive. The government can also choose to end the program, but they obviously have a reason to keep it alive.
The price of jet fuel has DOUBLED since this time last year while car fuel has roughly flat lined give or take a quarter.

EAS should end. Now.

ChrisW
2007-12-30, 11:41 PM
I think your right Chris, perhaps a Stearman twice a day would be more like it.
That, or a Cirrus SR-22.

nwafan20
2007-12-30, 11:47 PM

...So.... You think the government should pay for an airline to fly to an airport where they can't even fill an airplane once a day so some people don't have to drive??? Simple supply and demand, if there were enough people who didn't want to drive, then the airlines would fly there because there is DEMAND.

I don't get what you are trying to argue.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-01-03, 10:40 PM
The government knows what it is doing and if the program was really that outrageously stupid, then they would have done away with it. The government must feel the need to grant money to provide air service to these communities for some reason. I don't know why, but they have a reason. Just like what everyone tells me about DAB...the airlines know what they are doing. Well in this case, the government knows what to do...they are doing their job and just because the people on here think it should end, doesn't mean everyone agrees.
The Aviation Subcommittee has a job to do and after deregulation, this was something that they felt was necessary, and obviously still do today.

You don't know the whole story and neither do I, but nwafan, maybe you should write to the government and ask them why they need it. I am sure they will have a good explanation.

Who knows, maybe the EAS could help the delay problem that is plaguing the Airline Industry.

nwafan20
2008-01-03, 11:47 PM
The government knows what it is doing and if the program was really that outrageously stupid, then they would have done away with it.

I'm sorry, but I started laughing as soon as I said that. Government, by design is very clumsy and not efficient in any way. It is ran by special interest groups who pump money into Congress to get their way. The government was not meant to be large, and it doesn't function well that way. Private business is the way things need to be ran. No offense, but that was seriously a really funny statement.

Also, delays are really only effecting the NY and Chicago areas, delays are very minimal here at DTW ;)

ChrisW
2008-01-04, 12:03 AM
Who knows, maybe the EAS could help the delay problem that is plaguing the Airline Industry.Yeah, flying empty Beech 1900s to Ogdensburg will help ease delays and congestion in the Northeast. :roll:

C'mon man, lets be realistic.

Meanwhile, we dispatched a couple more empty Beech 1900s today. More taxpayer money down the tubes.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-01-04, 12:52 PM
Well maybe the program should be more selective. I disagree with it being done away with, but some airports are really in need.

I will look up some load factors and see what I can come up with. I will agree that some airports just do not need the grant, but others do.

Matt Molnar
2008-01-04, 01:17 PM
I think communities meeting certain minimum population thresholds should be guaranteed transportation by the government. In most cases I think the market should dictate what products and services are available, but in the case of long distance transportation, where barriers to entry are very high, it is not a level playing field.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-01-06, 08:39 PM
Definitely. There should be some boundaries.