PDA

View Full Version : Speedbird Four-Eight Kilo?

cancidas
2007-12-19, 11:41 PM
i've gotten tired of my mp3 collection, and since i don't watch TV i'm listening to kennedy clearance delivery. just heard Speedbird 48K call for a clearance. is his flight number ammended by a letter? our AWI and CJC flights will sometimes do that, especially when the flight number is the same into and out of LGA and they're running those flights on two airplanes (another stupid idea but i won't get into that).

maybe some of our FAA fellows can help me out...

njgtr82
2007-12-19, 11:52 PM
Alot of airlines will add a letter at the end of the flight # when another flight with the same number is still airborne but BAW is an exception. Alot of their scheduled flights use letters such a BAW64J at EWR and BAW69V at PHL. Expressjet will uses a new number though because they already use 4 digits. So if flight 2148 is still airborne the next one will use 7148. COA though will use a letter if its a 2 or 3 numbered flight (COA17 would be COA17A) but their4 digit ones will usually use the 9900 series instead. Hope this helps.

cancidas
2007-12-20, 12:10 AM
BAW is just a wierd one i guess. maybe they're trying to remove similiar-sounding callsigns from the skies...