PDA

View Full Version : Grave by 4L at JFK

Speedbird1
2007-12-19, 09:37 AM
Did you guys know that a former JFK Manager was secretly buried at the foot of Rwy 4L many years ago? I think I saw the marker once while my plane was taxying onto Rwy 4L. Does anybody know his name or the year? Imagine the peace and quiet of being buried by a runway? Plane enthusiasts would drool over this thought but this is a rare case indeed. The rest of us will have to settle for a regular cemetery or have ashes scattered. Many local cemeteries are located directly underneath arrival paths. Greenwood in Brooklyn is directly under the LGA arrival path and Montefiore and Beth David are near the 22L approach path.

flyboy 28
2007-12-19, 12:17 PM
I've heard about this, but never looked into it further. It would be a great way to spend eternity, for sure.

SengaB
2007-12-19, 12:34 PM
I'm sure hes "Turning over in his grave" seeing thee kind of painschemes and planes JFK gets now. :)
Senga

markg
2007-12-19, 12:58 PM
My wife and I have both got it written in our wills that we want our ashes scattered in Jamaica Bay, because JFK is where we first met face to face!

cancidas
2007-12-19, 01:05 PM
i heard about this once, never gave much thought to it at the time. that would be a pretty lousy place to be burried IMO, family wouldn't be able to visit regularly etc. as for me, i still havent decided and hope not to have to for a while. though i am able to be burried at the nation cemetary near FRG i think i may just elect to be with my family.

Speedbird1
2007-12-19, 01:37 PM
His name was Major Bill Carter. He was construction supervisor during JFK's construction. I had thought that he was a Manager. He was buried secretly in 1984. The Tower related that Rwy 4L was closed for repairs. Had they said the runway was closed for a burial, the pilot might have fainted onboard and would have to be revived. In Mr. Carter's will, he also asked for a 21-gun salute, as he served in the US military.