PDA

View Full Version : FRG spotting locations??

adam613
2007-12-17, 11:19 PM
So where does one go to spot at FRG? Stefanie will drive me out there in her car one Sunday when the weather is nice...

(How on earth did I manage to land such a woman...?? :D)

GrummanFan
2007-12-18, 12:47 AM
There are a few places which are pretty easy to locate just by driving circles around the airport. I wrote a brief description of a few options here: http://www.freewebs.com/nyairshow/republicairport.htm

adam613
2007-12-18, 11:35 AM
Great! Thanks!

pgengler
2007-12-18, 12:59 PM
One thing to consider is definitely the winds and runway selection, with the time of day. In my (limited) experience, if they're using runway 1 in the morning, you may as well not bother going out, because there's no good place to get on the sunny side and still have a good view.

The Home Depot parking lot is great for runway 14 in the morning, but there's no good place to get on the other side. (When I was shooting at FRG at airshow time, I caught the Thunderbirds return by parking on the shoulder of Rt. 110 and climbing on the roof of my car. I wouldn't recommend that as a long-term thing, obviously.)

Runway 32 is my favorite. New Highway runs in such a way that you can park along the east side of the runway for the morning, then drive a little down the road and have a great spot on the west side once the sun crosses.

I'm sure Fred or Moose will have some more suggestions, though, since they shoot at FRG a lot more often than I do.