PDA

View Full Version : US Airways CRJ Goes Off Runway in Rhode Island

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-17, 09:54 AM
I can't find much more info than the subject line says, but there were no injuries, and I heard the incident cancelled a whopping 8 flights. The plane was coming from Philadelphia and was landing in the snow.

LGA777
2007-12-17, 11:26 AM
This was AWI/US Express 3758 from PHL operated by N470ZW. 31 paxs and 3 crew all ok, but aircraft has significant damage including gear colapse. May or may not be related to weather/field conditions, will wait for more details. At the time 16-34 was closed due to field conditons and after accident airport was to be closed until morning, but they ended up getting 16-34 open after about 2 1/2 hours.

LGA777

cancidas
2007-12-17, 12:57 PM
personally spoke to PVD, the airplane has apparently lost all three landing gear and sustained majoe damage to the leading edges of both wings as well as flap assemblies on the trailing edge. it was described to me as "sitting in a foot of mud, resting on both wings." the underside of the fuselage most likely sustained a lot of damage as well.

after this happenned, the remainder of our PVD flights were cancelled, though the airport did reopen later during the night. i was very relieved to hear that all our pax and crewmembers were safe and that nobody got hurt.

i won't speculate as to the cause of this, and will work on getting more information in the coming days. while i didn't save the metar i looked at, it was showing freezing fog and light rain. i can't recall if there was an RVR up at the time. i spoke to a freind about this last night to, she had one of her flights return back to the gate because the captain refused to fly out. he was #2 in line for departure after a citation, the citation pilot almost lost it right as he rotated and his aiplane began to skid sideways. even though PVD kept the runway open, our pilot refused to try it with his much lighter twin turbo-prop.

these two incidents meerly hours apart leave questions in my mind surrounding runway contamination.

HPNPilot1200
2007-12-17, 04:17 PM
To add to what's already been said...it may be important to note the previous arrival, an A320, reported good breaking action.

Here's the NTSB preliminary report:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 470ZW Make/Model: CRJ2 Description: CANADAIR CRJ-200, RJ-200 REGIONAL JET
Date: 12/16/2007 Time: 2145

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
N470ZW, AIR WISCONSIN FLIGHT 758A, A BOMBARDIER CL600 AIRCRAFT, ON LANDING
SLID OFF THE SIDE OF THE RUNWAY INTO A SNOWBANK, NO INJURIES REPORTED,
PROVIDENCE, RI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 3 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 31 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED