PDA

View Full Version : MLB Steroid Report to be Released Today

Matt Molnar
2007-12-13, 12:26 PM
A 400 page report detailing the results of Sen. George Mitchell's investigation into steroid use in Major League Baseball will be released at 2pm today. While no one from MLB or MLBPA has officially been allowed to read it, ESPN is reporting that sources tell them Roger Clemens will be one of the names named. This will likely be a very sad day for baseball.

Source says information on Clemens will be in Mitchell's report (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153129) [ESPN]

Midnight Mike
2007-12-13, 12:41 PM
A 400 page report detailing the results of Sen. George Mitchell's investigation into steroid use in Major League Baseball will be released at 2pm today. While no one from MLB or MLBPA has officially been allowed to read it, ESPN is reporting that sources tell them Roger Clemens will be one of the names named. This will likely be a very sad day for baseball.

Source says information on Clemens will be in Mitchell's report (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153129) [ESPN]

What is equally sad is that Major League Baseball & the Union could not take care of their own mess.

Shame on them all, the Presidents from MLB & the MLBA should lose their jobs....

Midnight Mike
2007-12-13, 12:48 PM
Well, let's hear it for the druggies:
http://www.wnbc.com/sports/14845845/detail.html

The list includes former MVP's Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, Jason Giambi, Ken Caminitti and Albert Belle. The list contains two sets of brothers: Jose and Ozzie Canseco and Aaron and Bret Boone. Cy Young award winner Roger Clemens is also on the list.

Brady Anderson

Manny Alexander

Rick Ankiel

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Aaron Boone

Rafael Bettancourt

Bret Boone

Milton Bradley

David Bell

Dante Bichette

Albert Belle

Paul Byrd

Wil Cordero

Ken Caminiti

Mike Cameron

Ramon Castro

Jose Canseco

Ozzie Canseco

Roger Clemens

Paxton Crawford

Wilson Delgado

Lenny Dykstra :cry: Not surprising, but sad about this one

Johnny Damon

Carl Everett

Kyle Farnsworth

Ryan Franklin

Troy Glaus

Rich Garces

Jason Grimsley

Juan Gonzalez

Eric Gagne

Nomar Garciaparra

Jason Giambi

Jeremy Giambi

Jose Guillen

Jay Gibbons

Juan Gonzalez

Clay Hensley

Jerry Hairston

Felix Heredia, Jr.

Darren Holmes

Wally Joyner :!: Shocking

Darryl Kile

Matt Lawton

Raul Mondesi

Mark McGwire

Guillermo Mota

Robert Machado

Damian Moss

Abraham Nunez

Trot Nixon

Jose Offerman

Andy Pettitte

Mark Prior

Neifi Perez

Rafael Palmiero

Albert Pujols

Brian Roberts

Juan Rincon

John Rocker

Pudge Rodriguez

Sammy Sosa

Scott Sc hoenweiis

David Segui

Alex Sanchez

Gary Sheffield

Miguel Tejada

Julian Tavarez

Fernando Tatis

Maurice Vaughn

Jason Varitek

Ismael Valdez

Matt Williams

Kerry Wood

Matt Molnar
2007-12-13, 01:00 PM
Wow, some surprising names on there.

Mike Cameron and Nomar Garciaparra...not big guys.

RAMON CASTRO? I guess that might explain his massive cranium.

A lot of them explain a lot though, like why they went from awesome to barely being able to walk up the dugout steps in one season. See Albert Pujols.

MLB says this list has errors, the official version could be different.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-13, 02:21 PM
This list is huge. I was not expecting a lot of that.

It is such a shame that this game had to even have a federal investigation like this.

I don't understand what the point of releasing these names are, though. All of these guys were tested and found positive for steroids? Dykstra is kinda retired, no? What will they do?

Matt Molnar
2007-12-13, 02:43 PM
WNBC.com has pulled the list, citing possible inaccuracies. They will be streaming the press conference live at 2pm at this address: http://www.wnbc.com/videostream/13298034/detail.html

Matt Molnar
2007-12-13, 03:27 PM
Here it is: http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

I obviously haven't read the whole thing yet, but sure enough, a Yankees trainer testified that Clemens was 'roided up at the end of the 2000 season, i.e. when he threw the bat at Mike Piazza.

moose135
2007-12-13, 03:33 PM
Phil, this wasn't a federal investigation, it was commissioned by MLB and the Commissioner's Office. From listened to the news conference (going on right now) George Mitchell (former US Senator and head of the investigation) said the names of players were included in the interest of full disclosure of the materials uncovered in the report. Not only are many out of MLB today, but at the time most of these were reported to be using PEDs, MLB didn't have a strong testing/punishment program, so they really can't be penalized today in any case.

Mike Cameron and Nomar Garciaparra...not big guys.

Steriods aren't just about bulking up to hit huge home runs. An important part of its effects is the "recovery" effect it has, allowing you to perform at a high level day after day when you might otherwise become run down.

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-13, 08:22 PM
I've never done steroids, but it was around me a lot during my workout years. I honestly don't think that steroids are that big of a deal. There is a way to do them with minimal side effects and long last effects....but because there is not enough information on how to do them, people end up not taking them right.

There is so much misinformation about steroids, that many people who speak out against it just do not understand what they are talking about. "Roid rage", things shrinking...most people have it wrong.

Tom_Turner
2007-12-16, 11:09 AM
Lenny Dykstra was a pretty scrawny kid when he played for the Mets - in 1986.

He really bulked up/hulked up in Philly. He openly joked about it with reporters at the time... winks, nods, and so forth.

Tom

bonanzabucks
2007-12-16, 12:27 PM
One side effect not mentioned is baldness. A lot of these players started losing their hair during the steroid years. McGwire, Joyner, Bonds, Larry Walker and a host of others.