PDA

View Full Version : LGA Central Terminal Taxi Tip!

PhilDernerJr
2007-12-10, 11:58 AM
Mel was quite a thinker last night, and I thought I'd share this tip with our friends here.

We flew into LGA's Central Terminal Building and wanted to take a cab home from there. However, upon stepping outside, the two main cab stands had lines that extended about 300 feet at one and at least 150 feet at the other, and cabs were not showing up very fast.

Mel said that there was another one, which I had forgotten about. There is even a sign that everyone was ignoring saying that there was another cab stand only 350 feet further down.

We went to the other one and there was only 1 family in line, and 5 cabs waiting for no one.

This secluded one is on just past the Central Terminal on the northwest end right before the American hangars. We were in a cab immediately, saving ourselves over an hour of waiting for sure.

Don't tell anyone!! :wink:

Matt Molnar
2007-12-10, 12:05 PM
Nice work. I discovered that "secret" stand when I got back from Chicago a couple months ago but wasn't sure if it was always like that.

RDU-JFK
2007-12-10, 12:38 PM
Also if you're ever coming into the DL/NW terminal and the line is bad, take a stroll to the US Airways Shuttle taxis, as these are almost always empty.

emshighway
2007-12-10, 12:44 PM
The cab line is usually full all day in front of the American Hangers. The other trick is to go to the departure level and jump into a cab dropping someone off. They aren't suppose to do it but if you get in quick enough they are not going to turn down the fair.

LGA777
2007-12-10, 12:47 PM
It's been there for years, (was there when I started with Piedmont in 1985) and is always underutilzed. I am surprised during busy periods all those red-coated Port Auth customer service reps dont go out to the two long taxi line and encourage patrons to go over to the other short line.

Now for my tip. I ride the M60 bus from LGA leaving most nights between 2130-2330. The cab line at US and the others we drive past at the CTB are always much, much worse on Sunday nights, as is the crowding on the M60 bus. There are two reasons. Inbound passenger loads on all carriers are always very heavy on Sunday night and many are New Yorkers returning home so not many are renting cars, as during the week. The other reason as many taxi drivers work 6 days a week and often 12-18 hour days. But as many have families many refuse to work on Sundays and since many are private contractors (they own their own cab) they can do whatever they want. I almost always see much, much fewer cabbies queded up on Sunday nights. It's an unforunate situation and 1 hour waits for a cab are common at LGA on Sunday nights.

So my advice if you can use public transportation or even better have a friend or relative pick you up if you are planning to arrive at LGA on a future Sunday evening.

I am glad Phil and Mel had good luck !

My 2 cents

LGA777

adam613
2007-12-10, 12:51 PM
Oh, interesting. I've had tremendous problems finding a cab at LGA on Sunday night, to the point where I generally flew into EWR or JFK and took public transit if I had to come back on Sunday night, even when I lived on the Upper West Side and it was only a $20 cab ride.

cancidas
2007-12-10, 06:20 PM
thanks dude, though i'll probably stick to the big white noisy limo for a little while longer...

kmiller
2007-12-18, 01:24 PM
The cab line is usually full all day in front of the American Hangers. The other trick is to go to the departure level and jump into a cab dropping someone off. They aren't suppose to do it but if you get in quick enough they are not going to turn down the fair.

When I'm picking somebody up or getting picked up from the airport, I always tell people to meet me at departures. It's usually less crowded in my eyes.

emshighway
2007-12-18, 10:44 PM

When I'm picking somebody up or getting picked up from the airport, I always tell people to meet me at departures. It's usually less crowded in my eyes.

Just look out for the guy in the car with the government plates honking at you :borat: