PDA

View Full Version : Just got Accepted!(I think)

stuart schechter
2007-12-04, 11:21 PM
I got a phone call from my local FD and if I pass my physical, in january, I am a member. My back shouldn't be a problem and the doc said that I have no physical limitations. WooHoo!

flyboy 28
2007-12-04, 11:55 PM
Nice one, Stuart. I've been waiting to hear back from my local rescue squad for a few weeks now about my application. I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow.

adam613
2007-12-05, 09:24 AM
Congrats!

RDU-JFK
2007-12-05, 09:47 AM
Many congrats.

AirtrafficController
2007-12-05, 04:52 PM
Hey congrats Sturat!

stuart schechter
2007-12-05, 08:50 PM
Thanks all. I start my training at the end of January and then during Spring Break I have to take my Firefighter 1 class a two week, every day course at the Fire Training center in Valhalla. Cutting up cars and putting out fires. Sounds fun.

lijk604
2007-12-05, 10:33 PM
The worst part will be going through the first year initiations. Probies are the ones to take out the garbage at all meetings, get stuck with all the nasty cleaning duties. Rolling up hoses after the fires (your first year, that's the only hoses you'll touch).

BUT, if you can take all the crap that first year, there is nothing more rewarding. Being able to help others is the greatest feeling in the world. The friendships you will make in the firehouse will last forever.

I did it for 4 years when I lived in Hicksville, and I would have done it after I moved, but being I changed counties (Nassau to Suffolk) they wanted me to take ALL the schools over again, as if I never was certified. I unfortunately did not have the time to do it or I still would have. Good Luck to you Stuart!

moose135
2007-12-05, 11:43 PM
Congratulations, Stuart, and good luck to you! Can we start calling you Johnny Gage now? :wink:

stuart schechter
2007-12-06, 01:03 AM
The worst part will be going through the first year initiations. Probies are the ones to take out the garbage at all meetings, get stuck with all the nasty cleaning duties. Rolling up hoses after the fires (your first year, that's the only hoses you'll touch).

BUT, if you can take all the crap that first year, there is nothing more rewarding. Being able to help others is the greatest feeling in the world. The friendships you will make in the firehouse will last forever.

I did it for 4 years when I lived in Hicksville, and I would have done it after I moved, but being I changed counties (Nassau to Suffolk) they wanted me to take ALL the schools over again, as if I never was certified. I unfortunately did not have the time to do it or I still would have. Good Luck to you Stuart!

I am used to doing all the bitch work around the garage. My old school, where i got my first responder cert and jump started my interest, had a community service program and every Wednesday 5 of us would go down to the firehouse and basically make things look good. I have lots of experience with washing :)

cancidas
2007-12-06, 12:56 PM

I am used to doing all the bitch work around the garage. My old school, where i got my first responder cert and jump started my interest, had a community service program and every Wednesday 5 of us would go down to the firehouse and basically make things look good. I have lots of experience with washing :)

trust me, washing fire apparatus isn't easy, or fun.

T-Bird76
2007-12-06, 03:57 PM
Congrats Stuat! Best of luck with this!

lijk604
2007-12-06, 05:00 PM
Congratulations, Stuart, and good luck to you! Can we start calling you Johnny Gage now? :wink:

Moose, I think there's only a few of us on this board old enough to know who Johnny Gage is.

nwafan20
2007-12-06, 08:57 PM
Big congrats Stuart!

I hang out at the firehouse a lot because my friends dad is a firefighter (all volunteer dep.).

stuart schechter
2007-12-06, 09:26 PM
trust me, washing fire apparatus isn't easy, or fun.

And, I know it isn't easy. We had 7 fire apparatus at my old dept. Not fun at all :(

engine46
2007-12-09, 09:04 PM
Congrats and welcome to a brotherhood that very few get to experience and understand.

You'll get as much out of it as you put into it.