PDA

View Full Version : AN-225 JFK eye witnesses?

RussK19
2007-11-28, 02:07 AM
I think it is fair to say that i was very very lucky that on warm september (i think) afternoon of 2003 (could be a bit wrong on timing)
i was hanging out with a friend around sheapshead bay and saw the AN 225 going for a 13L landing, i was so excited to see it :shock: , and btw it does look so much bigger than Boeing 747!!! :D
I didnt even have a camera back in the day, so i was wondering if you know of anyone who caught it take off/land in JFK since i think that would be a pretty rare shot, or maybe simply saw it with his/her own eyes.
I've seen a picture of a parked AN225 in JFK gate but that was during winter months so i think that was another instance of the plane landing here, and finally just curious does anyone know wether it plans to come to NY again if ever??? :)

SengaB
2007-11-28, 05:43 AM
Any of these shots ring a bell?

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?aircraft=Antonov+AN-225+Mriya&airline=-2&country=-2&photog=625&category=-2&year=-2&keywordrange=all&keywordlimiter=2&keywords=&sort=1&genre=1&size=-2&mainsearch=search&displaymode=1&display=90

Senga

LGA777
2007-11-28, 10:18 AM
Here is my poor quality example, (in my defense it was super hazey, and it was a couple of camera's ago)

[jetphotos:68ec9]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=154928[/jetphotos:68ec9]

Was from Boston Market, I think a few folks where waiting for her on 31L, but Port Ops has assured me 31R, so I shot her alone. As soon as she landed it was off to LGA as Kids Day was in progress.

Oh and Senga as always great shots !

Cheers

LGA777

mirrodie
2007-11-28, 10:33 AM
Seen it at JFK, pretty impressive

RussK19
2007-11-28, 11:12 AM
wow great guys, im glad many of you have seen it:)
for me it was like seeing concorde but 100 times more rare lol

SengaB
2007-11-28, 12:33 PM
Thanks Ron,
I had no idea you were out there!
Everyone else was with Art Brett and they all missed it because he insisted it was going to go to 31L despite my warning that it will land on 31R.
Sure enough it went to the right side :) You can tell I knew this ahead of time by where I shot it. I don't remember how I knew though.
I this was before I met you and some of the others.

Senga

Iberia A340-600
2007-11-28, 07:14 PM
She was up at SWF when I had just moved into the Poughkeepsie area and being 12 I was unaware of Flightaware so unfortunately I missed her. :(

SengaB
2007-11-29, 04:40 AM
You didn't missed anything Gorder ....it arrived at Night and departed at night...It was a BIG disappointment. I did get some shots from fences because the AG gate was closed at the time.
Senga

Tom_Turner
2007-11-29, 10:09 PM
RussK19 -

That day you saw it on the Canarsie Approach, I believe it ultimately landed 13R. The pilot had requested 22 left a couple of times, and was eventually denied as it was "too busy" if I remember correctly, and so it was to land on 13L.... somewhere along the way, that changed to 13R.

The first time it came to JFK it landed 31L, but parked by the old Pan Am hangars (where the de-icing is now) and in another instance, not the time Senga shot it landing on 31R, it had (according sources) landed on the 4s. In both those instances, Myria parked behind the old El Al Cargo.

Would seem JFK doesn't desire the AN225 taxiing all about the airport, but then again, not unusual for landing aircraft to be assigned runways convenient to their gates anyway.

Not positive, but I think it might've been 2003 we had several visits in a relatively short time span to JFK...(at least two times, perhaps three or four).

The first ever trip to the USA was to Bradley (CT) and it may (possibly) have snuck into EWR (not photographed for the 2nd visit) prior to any of the JFK visits...since that time though, its been many times to the USA of course -most recently in our area to EWR about six/seven (?) months ago.

A great plane to see at any rate. Wish they'd complete the 2nd one.

Tom

SengaB
2007-11-29, 11:31 PM
I remember that 13R arroach what a disappointing day. As Tom stated, 22L requested, then forced to land on 13L then the controller told him to make 13R. I took some vid as it taxied by Halmar. However this was all in the evening? Was it in the or afternoon when you saw it RussK19?
Senga

RussK19
2007-11-30, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the information Tom, wow i was seriously surprised that such a big plane was to be put on 13L, because judging by FS2004 and google map it just seems smaller than the 13R.
And now knowing that they put her on 13R just makes me sooo jelous that i wasnt at the Frank Charles memorial park with my camera that day... :)

Senga B i saw it in the afternoon, it was still relatively light outside and everything, perhaps 3-4pm ?

Overall we cant complain guys) we live in a pretty good place, i mean im sure we all saw Concorde dozens of times, hopefully AN-225 will come here SOME DAY, and soon A380 will be a common sight :borat: