PDA

View Full Version : 11/24/07 - Howard Beach

moose135
2007-11-24, 09:07 PM
Went over to HoBe for some 31 departures today. Got there a little before Noon, and spent about 3 hours shooting - I'll post some shots later when I've gone through them. I met another photographer there, a professional aviation photographer from Islip, btw, and we were shooting together. After being out there a couple of hours, we had a US Park Police car pull up to us. He was friendly, and professional, asked about our photography, what we do with it, etc. He asked to check our IDs, saying "You guys know why I'm checking." He called in our info, and after a few minutes returned our IDs and wished us a good afternoon and resumed his patrol.

Actually, when he asked us for ID, the other guy showed him an NYPD press pass. The officer said "Do you have any real ID, like a license?" I thought that was funny.

This is the first time I've had police come over at HoBe, and the first time I've encountered US Park Police. He clearly knew what we were doing, didn't try to intimidate us into leaving or tell us we couldn't take pictures of aircraft, and after a brief visit left us to continue shooting. All in all a pleasant, professional encounter - they should all be this way.

lijk604
2007-11-25, 02:14 PM
The ironic thing is that the Park Police were probably called by one of those folks performing their "water ritual." Those who have seen it, know what I am referring to.

Tom_Turner
2007-11-25, 09:06 PM
The ironic thing is that the Park Police were probably called by one of those folks performing their "water ritual." Those who have seen it, know what I am referring to.

There was a group there today that actually started some sort of, I suppose ceremonial, fire, on the beach. The family was all packed up into their SUV and back onto Crossbay Blvd. while the fire was still going strong (albeit a small fire). I am sure not a care in the world that any laws will be enforced as would happen if I started a "cook out" there.

The coconuts were one thing, but all the plastic bags, food and garbage being thrown into the bay is out of control. Jamaica Bay is not the ocean where you can throw all this garbage into it for 10 generations before destroying the environment. Everything thrown into the water there is not going anywhere but staying right there, making it into a massive garbage dump.

Granted, most of the foodstuffs are biodegradable (though not necessarily completely harmless), but the other junk is not.

Speaking of the Park Police, has anyone seen the "Bay Constable" yet? I met up with them in the Spring time by Costco. While they were hardly supportive or friendly they vaguely passed for professional - well, not really - but close enough.

Tom

Gerard
2007-11-26, 08:54 PM
>Speaking of the Park Police, has anyone seen the "Bay Constable" yet? <

What the heck is that? I know we have them out here on Long Island but in Jamaica Bay?
What authority do they have?

Tom_Turner
2007-11-26, 09:30 PM
No idea.. they had a uniform and badge and SUV.. Didn't notice if they had guns or not. I was actually waiting on a particular aircraft due about 45 minutes later, and I deliberately got out of the car and shot beside him so I could get the whole process out of the way so as not to jeopardize the later opportunity. So it worked out well.

Putting aside the single "Bay Constable" sighting in the last 7 years....

The guns are particular noticeable on the uniforms of another police force in the JFK area...which I will not name here because I would not want their good work to ironically bring them "bad press".

Thanks to one of the veteran officers on that beat, those encounters are the best since they don't typically involve even the normal hassle of "explaining" what I am doing and showing my driver's license (which seems to "prove" I am not a terrorist :roll: ).

That guy actually formulates in his mind what is going on in front of him and he acts accordingly. I remember being able to hear him tell his junior partner a few yards away from me, "yes, so, he is taking pictures of planes, no problem with that" or words to that effect. He wasn't being lazy. They observed me for a bit.

I know..I know... I can feel the disappointment already welling up in the genetically servile that wish to "thank" the officers for "checking us out, to make sure we're safe".... :wink:

TT

Gerard
2007-11-27, 10:20 PM
>No idea.. they had a uniform and badge and SUV.. Didn't notice if they had guns or not. I was actually waiting on a particular aircraft due about 45 minutes later, and I deliberately got out of the car and shot beside him so I could get the whole process out of the way so as not to jeopardize the later opportunity. So it worked out well. <

Did some research and it looks like these Bay Constables are part of the Town of Hempstead Department of Conservation and Waterways. The Inwood Marina part of Jamaica Bay is part of
their patrol area though if it was them I guess they are allowed to patrol in the city area of
Jamaica Bay also.

http://www.townofhempstead.org/content/ ... ation.html (http://www.townofhempstead.org/content/rc/conservation.html)

Tom_Turner
2007-11-27, 10:42 PM
Ah, thats interesting. Yes, they were going over some stuff with the Fishermen at Cosco.

Tom