PDA

View Full Version : RNO Trying to Lure Nonstop NYC Service

Matt Molnar
2007-11-24, 01:04 AM
Reno eyes service to NYC, D.C. (http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071122/NEWS18/71122025&oaso=news.rgj.com/breakingnews)
RAY HAGAR
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 11/22/2007
Modified: 11/22/2007

Top executives at Reno-Tahoe International Airport said they are negotiating to bring nonstop flights into Reno from New York and Washington, D.C.

Links to those major East Coast ports of entry top the airport’s to-do list for 2008, said Tom Medland, director of air service business development.

“We are talking to JetBlue about New York, and we are talking to Delta about New York because they have a good presence at JFK (John F. Kennedy International Airport),” Medland said. “New York is definitely a target. We’ve got to have New York, and we’re going to get New York eventually.” Read More... (http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071122/NEWS18/71122025&oaso=news.rgj.com/breakingnews)

T-Bird76
2007-11-24, 01:11 AM
RNO is the armpit of Nevada...you think LAS flights are nuts...Oh man try flying to RNO. People drunk off their asses at 9AM, broken armrests flying around, footballs being tossed...I hate flying to RNO... :roll:

NIKV69
2007-11-24, 01:37 AM
Why would anyone want to fly to RNO? You can get the same effect just driving 2 hours to Atlantic City. Same sort of town. I didn't care for it much at all. People flying out of NY with some money to donate will just go to LAS. Same airfare nicer town.

ChrisW
2007-11-24, 01:51 AM
Two words: Lake Tahoe.

cancidas
2007-11-24, 02:15 AM
is RNO even within perimeter?

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-24, 08:15 AM
Very close. I think the official name of RNO is Reno/Tahoe International Airport.

NIKV69
2007-11-24, 08:26 AM
Two words: Lake Tahoe.

]

Beautiful place but too seasonal. People love to go there and ski. The only people I know that go there do the whole sight seeing trip where they take 2-3 weeks and fly into PHX or LAS and rent a car to drive to Sedona, Tahoe, the Dams etc. I doubt a non-stop route would work from JFK-RNO long term. If it was lucrative someone would have done it already.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-24, 10:45 AM
I'm with you on that...if it were feasible, then it would have happened already.
RNO is no small little airport, but I think it has all the air service necessary right now.

ChrisW
2007-11-24, 12:26 PM
Never say never. ORF got a LAS nonstop a few years back and the route has been a cash cow for WN every since then.

RNO-ISP? RNO-EWR? RNO-JFK? RNO-LGA? Doesn't seem so far fetched to me, albeit most likely a seasonal service. Don't tell me there aren't New Yorkers who wouldn't love to fly to Lake Tahoe nonstop.

Anyone got the NYC-RNO O&D numbers?

LGA777
2007-11-24, 12:41 PM
is RNO even within perimeter?

Matt, I think you need some geography lessons ! Reno is in Nevada, and it's very close to the California border. I hope that answers your question ?

LGA777

NIKV69
2007-11-24, 01:42 PM
Never say never. ORF got a LAS nonstop a few years back and the route has been a cash cow for WN every since then.

Hardly surprising Vegas is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. You could have a route from Osh Kosh to LAS and it would sell. People visit LAS in the summer, winter fall, spring any time of the year any day of the week. RNO is a bit different. The town itself is not a big draw and Tahoe won't draw year round. I wish them luck.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-24, 03:04 PM
I don't think we can get LGA-RNO because of LGA's perimeter rule.

mirrodie
2007-11-24, 03:09 PM
How does one 'lure' service to a particular airport?

Is it like luring a kitty?
"Here kitty kitty kitty kitty..."

T-Bird76
2007-11-24, 06:19 PM

Tax incentives, reduction in landing fees, overall favorable terms in other airport fees. That combined with an ad campaign can help drum up biz. However if there was a need for NYC-RNO I'm sure this route would already exist.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-25, 10:43 AM
It is kind of funny though...if we can do it here in Daytona Beach, I actually think RNO can do it now that I have given it some thought...DAB is much smaller than RNO.

Idlewild
2007-11-27, 03:03 AM
I go to Reno every year for the air races via Frontier from LGA. They make a stop over in Denver. Reno, whether you like it or hate it does get a ton of passenger traffic. While I agree it's the Atlantic City of the west people do go there as a cost alternative to Vegas. Plus Lake Tahoe as well which seems to be busy in summer as well as the winter. I read in Airport magazine that the airport is focusing on Asian carriers as well. It is an up and coming city.

Matt Molnar
2007-11-27, 12:26 PM

Tax incentives, reduction in landing fees, overall favorable terms in other airport fees. That combined with an ad campaign can help drum up biz. However if there was a need for NYC-RNO I'm sure this route would already exist.
For a good example, check out the city of Columbus, Ohio and their relationship with SkyBus...it's practically a government owned airline. Obviously a single flight to RNO wouldn't be nearly as dramatic, but you get the idea.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-11-28, 05:53 PM
Like I mentioned before, I just don't think LGA is feasible due to perimeter restrictions. If I had to put my finger on NYC/RNO service, I would point at JFK.

Who knows? Maybe ISP could beat JFK with WN?