PDA

View Full Version : Osprey flying up the Hudson

pgengler
2007-11-01, 06:36 PM
Did anyone else catch it today? I was waiting for the bus around 5pm when I looked toward the river and saw what I definitely think was a V-22 Osprey (rotors/props at about a 45-degree angle) flying up the Hudson River. My girlfriend independently saw it (and promptly asked me what it was, when I got home) so I don't think I was hallucinating.

njgtr82
2007-11-01, 07:15 PM
was also 2 A-10's.... callsign Raven 1

stuart schechter
2007-11-01, 07:24 PM
I saw it flying up a few weeks ago.

cancidas
2007-11-01, 09:11 PM
didn't see that, but i did see a CH-53 pass overhead the LGA tower at about 1000ft (while i was in the cab,) take the helo route over central park and then south over the hudson. was cool to watch, the smoke trail was clear for a few miles. lost sight of it as it passed midtown high rises.

njgtr82
2007-11-01, 11:13 PM
Anyone have any idea why all the military action today? Matt I would have much rather seen the 53 then the A-10's... my favorite helo by far.

cancidas
2007-11-03, 10:23 AM
the -53 is sick! first time i saw one was at Holloman AFB, though they were across the ramp from us and the van had just arrived to pick up myself and my crew. i actually got to fuel one at the SNS airshow last year, which was an expierience to say the least. when i opened the fueling panel about 5 pounds of sand just came tumbling out. according to the crew, which had rotated home from the sandbox two weeks prior after a 18 month deployment, they were still finding sand everywhere else on the helo. that thing is huge though, could easily fit an humvee and trailer inside and sit comfortably along the sides...
:borat:

Gerard
2007-11-05, 08:34 PM
>the -53 is sick! <

No doubt. Many years ago I was at the old Aviation Base at Floyd watching them practice using
the Billy Pugh rescue net when all of a sudden a CH-53 came in LOW over the old blue hangar from
the south and land in the parking area where Aviator Sports is now. They idled a few minutes then
lifted off about 50 feet and transitioned over to Air Station Brooklyn. The ship is HUGE!!!