PDA

View Full Version : CRJ-700 takes off with cargo door open

DHG750R
2007-10-26, 02:13 AM
http://aviation-safety.net/news/newsitem.php?id=1925

21 OCT 2007 CRJ-700 takes off with open cargo door: loses bags after takeoff from MDW
A Delta Connection flight (ASQ718 to Atlanta) returned to Chicago-Midway because the cabin failed to pressurize. It appeared that a cargo door had not been closed properly. Two bags fell from the cargo hold. An employee of the Belt Railway Company found one bag in a rail yard nearly a mile from the airport.
The aircraft involved was a Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-700. (AP)

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-26, 06:00 AM
I guess there are no messages in the cockpit that indicate when the doors are closed?

HPNPilot1200
2007-10-26, 06:45 AM
I guess there are no messages in the cockpit that indicate when the doors are closed?

There's a caution annunciator for the Cargo Door that displays on the EICAS for the CRJ700. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the associated sensor on the door was working properly.

DHG750R
2007-10-26, 07:27 AM
There was an article attached to the item , I could not copy and paste from it , It did state the foward cargo door warning system was inoperative ( Not sure about the CR7 , but it is usually an item you can go with inop on most types )

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-26, 07:31 AM
I would think that such a thing could not be deferred. The negative results would be very serious I'd think.

"Are the doors closed?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Oh ok."

Matt Molnar
2007-10-26, 09:24 AM
Those poor bags must have been really scared. :(

T-Bird76
2007-10-26, 09:41 AM
How does a ramper forget to close a cargo door? Its not like Delta has a million flights out of MDW and a simple walk around they would have seen it, I would also think when the plane was pushed back it would have been noticed. Perhaps it was closed and then opened on its own as a result of an MX issue?

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-26, 09:56 AM
I don't know how the CRJ works, but maybe the door was closed but not locked properly.

Smartass Flyboy
2007-10-28, 11:07 AM
I don't know how the CRJ works, but maybe the door was closed but not locked properly.

The CRJ cargo door slides striaght up (picture a manually operated DC-10 cabin door) so amazingly enough the aircraft would fly with the door open. As to forgetting to close it, well that would be a major DOH!! You have to sqeeze out under the port side engine and slither down the belt so it's not like you could forget it easily. Probably had a last minute valet bag coming and some yelled leave it open a sec we've got one more and tht one more never came. Now since it is obsured by the port side engine no one noticed it open, OOPS.

cancidas
2007-10-28, 11:28 AM

the door might not have sealed properly even though it would appear to be closed from the outside upon a visual inspection. also, the sensor could have been malfuntioning too. i've seen it happen on JIA airplanes a few times. might not be a ramp rat fault at all.

dlx737200
2007-10-28, 12:22 PM
Those doors can be tricky sometimes. I know on ASA, if they have a deferred cargo door indicator, they always say right before we push, "Can you verify the cargo door is shut and secure?" At this time I always says, "One sec," walk behind the wing, open it and the shut it firmly to make sure it's closed then usually still hit on it with my fist to make sure it doesn't open back up. Then I return to the pushback and say, "Cargo door shut and secure." That's ASA's policy.

-Justin

stuart schechter
2007-10-29, 08:08 PM
"It's raining baggage, Hallelujah, it's raining bags"

lijk604
2007-10-29, 09:04 PM
Someone call a doctor, Stuart needs serious help. j/k Stuart.

hiss srq
2007-10-29, 09:14 PM
(F/O)Hmmmm..... I can swear I got the trim settings right on this one but it feels a touch heavy.

(2,000 hour Captain) You moron, I knew you were bad with math and reading when we bunked at Riddle!

(Typical Chicago Ramper) Eh, whatever at least most of the bags will make it.

hiss srq
2007-10-29, 09:14 PM
filler

filler

filler

Derf
2007-10-29, 09:38 PM
(F/O)Hmmmm..... I can swear I got the trim settings right on this one but it feels a touch heavy.

(2,000 hour Captain) You moron, I knew you were bad with math and reading when we bunked at Riddle!

You can say that again....Oh wait, you did!

stuart schechter
2007-10-29, 09:48 PM
Someone call a doctor, Stuart needs serious help. j/k Stuart.

*twitches*I have no idea what your*twitch* talking about