PDA

View Full Version : A look back to Oct 24 2003

mirrodie
2007-10-24, 10:33 PM
It was a great day the moment he awoke and smiled at me.
Well, our son is fast asleep and I look back at today.

Then I remembered the date and reminisce. Oct 24 2003.

The sun was still asleep on this cold Autumn morning. I'd spent the evening with new friends, Rachel and Steve, in a hotel outside JFK, just so I did not have to battle the early morning traffic and miss Concorde's last departure. The next morning we met with a group, as Prince might introduce as, formerly known as "AireolaAviation".

Lots of faces that morning. Even my family took a ride to see it off one last time. Phil, Julio, Art, Mike, Anne, Brian, Josh, Justin and many that elude me right now. Please don't take offense.

With a camera crew in tow, we walked along the beach, toward the sunrise, to spot that would give a clear view of JFK. One of my first lasting memories of the morn was the rising tide. We walked to the water's edge. Here you'd normally hanker down and just cross underneath the subway track trestle. But the water was closing in quickly. There was only about 5 feet from the incoming tide and the wall of no return.

On hands and feet, like commandos through dense brush, we traversed across the small islet. The sand seemed to freeze between my fingers.

We made it across
and watched
and listened
to the flurry of activity from across the bay.

The sun broke and it was truly a magnificient fall sunrise. A myriad of colors reflected off the water.

And after what seemed like hours, Speedbird 002's clearance was given and off she went.

I had my video camera that morning and it malfunctioned. To this day, its never worked. And yet, I was completely thankful. It was a Godsend that I cherish those last sights and sounds with my own eyes.

She took off and there was a sound after takeoff I'd never heard before... clapping.
As Concorde, followed by that deep guttural sound, made that wide arc south of Long Island and pointed east, we clapped and celebrated a marvel in avaition.

After a slow walk back to our cars, we broke bread at a diner on Cross Bay Blvd, again placing more names to faces and meeting new friends.

To this day, people ask, "So you were you on the final Concorde flight?"
And I can gladly say no. I look back and am fortunate to have enjoyed it with family and friends.
Its sad to see such a fantastic piece of beauty, chemistry and physics go, but onward and upward.

-Mirrodie

PS. anyone have tidbits they remember from the day? Would love to hear 'em

MarkLawrence
2007-10-24, 10:41 PM
I remember sitting in my office - I'd gotten to work early to make sure I could see it all - I was on Central Time at that point. I remember watching the streaming video, listening to all the tower conversation - hearing Capt Les Brodie's voice (he was on the ITVV Concorde DVD that I have - as a first officer at that point). I remember watching the take-off - thinking - what a bunch of lucky folk sitting out there watching this for real. On my first visit to NY, I stood out at Howard Beach, in a snow flurry (that's where I met Nick V), thinking, this is where Concorde went over - I wish I'd been able to get there for real to watch it....to all of you that did - I'm sure the memory is a very happy one...

dimamo1983
2007-10-24, 10:51 PM
I was at home, had to leave around 7:30 to get to my class on time. Sure enough I did not make it. Around 6:30 I turned on the ground feed and stayed with it all the way through departure.
When I got back that evening, folks at JFKtower.com posted a couple videos that still make my eyes water to this day every time I watch them.

Farewell Concorde, blue skies forever!

Derf
2007-10-25, 02:04 AM
Here is a link and the Pictures I took with Tom. Truly a sad day but yet still very exciting that I was there!
http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60478&page=3&pp=25&highlight=concorde

Nonstop2AUH
2007-10-25, 02:13 AM
Wasn't there but having been lucky enough to fly on Concorde a couple of times, watched the local TV coverage I guess NY1 and one or two of the morning programs had it. What frustrated me was that mass media always seemed to present it as a noisy elitist conveyance for the rich and famous when the real story was much more complicated than that, in fact at the time of the post-crash return to service I was compelled to write a letter about this to the local um, newspaper of record on this topic and they surprised me by publishing it. Ironically today, 4 years on, NYC media seems much more accepting of exclusive travel experiences (and shopping, and real estate, etc) and would likely have a more celebratory attitude towards Concorde than it did in 2003.

mirrodie
2007-10-25, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the photos Fred! You always know how to capture the day's ambience just right.

I was especially glad to see one photo in this batch. You probably didnt realize you got my mother, father and AAunt in one frame, in reply #120

http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/showt ... t=concorde (http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60478&page=5&pp=25&highlight=concorde) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-25, 07:17 PM
I remember that day well. Gettin up very early and heading to Howard Beach, arriving and realizing how COLD it was. I think it was the first COLD day of the year. Wasn't it about 32 degrees?

I had to borrow a sweater from someone to wear under my jacket, and earmuffs from Art I think.

Sad to see, but great to witness.

JHNA57
2007-10-27, 10:02 AM
I wasn't there that day, but I was at JFK on an October day in 1977.
It was the Concordes first TAKEOFF from JFK. It had arrived the day before for it's first flight ever into JFK.
The Concorde had been operating into Dulles but protests from residents kept it out of NY.

I sat in in my car in the parking lot across from the Eastern Airlines terminal (I don't remember why I was'nt on the roof of the Pan Am terminal, but I think it was closed to the public for the day). I heard the loud rumble, then watched it appear from behind the building as it was starting its left turnout off of 31L. The image of the yellowish brown exhaust is still fresh in my mind.

Somewhere in a box I have a cassete tape I made that day when "SUPERTRANSPORT ZERO-ZERO-ONE" was cleared for takeoff by the tower.

Being on the North Shore, I never caught it's daily takeoffs, but I'll never forget the rumble of its early morning arrivals to 22L. I did't always see it, but knew by the distinct sound that it was CONCORDE.

mirrodie
2007-10-27, 12:27 PM
I was compelled to write a letter about this to the local um, newspaper of record on this topic and they surprised me by publishing it.

hey, would you mid sharing? Would love to see that you had to say.

MarkLawrence
2007-12-04, 09:25 PM
Last night I got to watch for the first time the documentary on the last commercial flight - it was on our HD Theatre channel - it was very interesting for seeing it for the first time so long after the last flight! Concorde looked wonderful in HD!! :) Then again - so did Mario and Phil!.. :lol:

engine46
2007-12-05, 12:31 AM
Nice write-up, Mario. Thanks for reminding us of that great day.

cancidas
2007-12-05, 02:38 AM
anyone still have the group picture from that day?

Derf
2007-12-05, 09:42 AM
NYC Aviation did not exist so there was no group to be a picture. Sorry

At the time, I did know Tom, Mario and Phil.....not many more

mirrodie
2007-12-05, 10:10 AM
NYC Aviation did not exist so there was no group to be a picture. Sorry

Correction, my dear Watson :mrgreen: . NYCAviations predecessor, AireolaAviation, did exist. I'm sure Phil or Art might have a group photo of the brave souls who endured the emelents that morning.

Tom_Turner
2007-12-05, 12:14 PM
Regrettably I had to be at work that morning.

However I was able to cut school to see the first ever landing of an SST at JFK, back in the late 70s. Sad to see them actually come and go like that.

What I do remember from watching video of the BA departure, it executed a faily early (though normal) turn off 31L. Quite in contrast to the last Air France concorde departure which really shook and rattled Howard Beach proper one last time. :D

Of course, while most of know this, Concord G-BOAD was back at JFK again on Nov 10th for its inclusion in the Intrepid Museum collection, and G-BOAG back through JFK again on Nov 3rd on its ferry flight to BFI.

Tom

cancidas
2007-12-05, 07:39 PM
you're right fred, NYCA didn't exist. this is the pic i was looking for, took me a while to find it:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/FarewellGroup.jpg

727C47
2007-12-10, 12:55 AM
I shared a holding pattern with Concorde that summer,one thunder strewn afternoon,I was JFK based in '03,and we used to push at the same time as that beautiful ship, and return to JFK at roughly the same time. My last sight of her was on the Canarsie approach late that August.