PDA

View Full Version : Re: Congrats JP! 1,000,000 pics

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-21, 07:28 PM
NOTE: This topic was split from a Photography forum thread "Congrats JP! 1,000,000 pics" seen here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8797 (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8797)

That was actually pretty fast! Not that the sites are exactly the same, but it took Anet much longer.

SP-LPB
2007-10-23, 03:36 PM
That was actually pretty fast! Not that the sites are exactly the same, but it took Anet much longer.

So what is the point of making a comparison if it really doesn't correspond? Anet has standards that are hard to meet so not too many shots can make it. It seems like everything here turns into an anti anet thread and it's allowed for.

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-23, 04:16 PM
It's not anti-Anet at all. Regardless of their differences, I just didn't expect JP to do it so quickly....nothing to do with preferences.

Why do YOU need to start a controversy over everything? Ask before making assumptions.

SP-LPB
2007-10-23, 04:58 PM
Phil, I can tell you to choose your words carefully.

mirrodie
2007-10-23, 06:11 PM
ladies, please, you're both beautiful!

T-Bird76
2007-10-23, 06:28 PM
You know honestly its ashame Jakub, you came in here and turned a perfectly fine post into something it wasn't. ALL of us know you don't like JP.net, its obvious by you're signature. Let me ask you this why even comment on a thread that involves JP.net? Why waste you're energy commenting about a website that you don't care to support, that just doesn't seem logical to me? You don't like JP.net that's fine, its you're choice and I can respect someones choice. If it was me and I didn't support JP.net and saw this thread I'd ignore it, good for them but w/e not going to waste my time commenting on it.

Here's the reality about A.net and JP.net.....they are websites, they are data that is housed on a computer server and with one swift kick of the plug they're gone...simple as that. I really feel bad for people who continue this silly debate, I have to wonder how lonely their life must be? :roll:

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-23, 06:55 PM
Phil, I can tell you to choose your words carefully.

Because I added something in an edit so as to not create a post? Is that supposed to be a dig at me?

nwafan20
2007-10-23, 07:15 PM
Guys, cool it. Jakub, you may not like JP.net, but it is a great resource for a lot of us. A.net and JP.net are both sites for sharing aviation photos, there are amazing shots on both sites! BOTH sites are great and benefit the aviation hobby in many many ways. There is no reason to start WWIII over the sites. Like Tommy says, they ARE JUST WEB SITES!!!

Some people just like jetphotos better, some people like airliners better. They are both wonderful in my opinion. It is immature and irresponsible in my opinion to compare Jetphotos to myaviation. Myaviation is open to any aviation photos, jetphotos has standards. By comparing the two you are insulting the screeners and photographers that upload there. Again, you don't have to upload there, that's your choice, but don't post immature comments like that about them.

I, personally enjoy uploading to JP.net because of the short queue times, I have a 75% acceptance rate (approx.) at both websites, so that isn't a reason why I don't upload to A.net much... It's just because I enjoy JP.net better... Who are you to say that JP.net is crap???

Anyway, sorry for that rant. Both sites are great and I wish success to both of them, and congrats to JP.net for 1,000,000 photos, great accomplishment!

T-Bird76
2007-10-23, 07:57 PM
Guys, cool it. Jakub, you may not like JP.net, but it is a great resource for a lot of us. A.net and JP.net are both sites for sharing aviation photos, there are amazing shots on both sites! BOTH sites are great and benefit the aviation hobby in many many ways. There is no reason to start WWIII over the sites. Like Tommy says, they ARE JUST WEB SITES!!!

Some people just like jetphotos better, some people like airliners better. They are both wonderful in my opinion. It is immature and irresponsible in my opinion to compare Jetphotos to myaviation. Myaviation is open to any aviation photos, jetphotos has standards. By comparing the two you are insulting the screeners and photographers that upload there. Again, you don't have to upload there, that's your choice, but don't post immature comments like that about them.

I, personally enjoy uploading to JP.net because of the short queue times, I have a 75% acceptance rate (approx.) at both websites, so that isn't a reason why I don't upload to A.net much... It's just because I enjoy JP.net better... Who are you to say that JP.net is crap???

Anyway, sorry for that rant. Both sites are great and I wish success to both of them, and congrats to JP.net for 1,000,000 photos, great accomplishment!

Very well said IMO.

SP-LPB
2007-10-23, 09:00 PM
[quote="SP-LPB":b4fb9]Phil, I can tell you to choose your words carefully.

Because I added something in an edit so as to not create a post? Is that supposed to be a dig at me?[/quote:b4fb9]

Phil if I said this about JP I could assure you, I would have a whole army going right after me. Your statement shows your favoritism and has a hint of irony, which I happen to dislike.

Here's the reality about A.net and JP.net.....they are websites, they are data that is housed on a computer server and with one swift kick of the plug they're gone...simple as that. I really feel bad for people who continue this silly debate, I have to wonder how lonely their life must be? :roll:

Tommy I clearly remember you saying this Sunday at the mounds that anet is crap. Sorry but you brought up the subject. It was a direct hit and I was bewildered at first, I politely asked you how screening was going at JP and you gave a final response. So I really didn't want to say this but what you're doing here is flip flopping.

Well I will repeat what I said, you can sense the favoritism that JP receives on these boards and saying anything against or suggesting anything gets blown out of proportion, because of people who cannot maintain neutral views. It bothers me to see this. Tommy says one thing but he doesn't mean it. There were people at the mounds who heard Tommy come out of nowhere with "anet is crap". It is ok for him to say such things and wrong if I oppose it.

This brings me to another topic, this forum is run in a way that whenever something is said to advise it is taken as an offense and when the criticism isn't as tranquil the thread gets b/locked. Being too docile is should be unacceptable.

Immature is what you do when you hang around spots and you ruin them for everyone. If you cannot intercept humor with my signature I apologize.

I am entitled to an opinion and when I hear "anet is this, anet is that" I feel like making a candid remark. At least I'm not false and dishonest like some.

T-Bird76
2007-10-23, 09:13 PM
Jakub you seem to be twisting words, yes I did say A.net was crap simply because I know I can get a response or a look from you, which I did, so mission accomplished, its called busting chops. My friends and I bust each other all the time with stuff that we know gets under our skins.

jran225
2007-10-23, 10:14 PM
This is absolutely rediculous. Jakub, I suggest you apologize for your ignorant remarks so that we can get back to the topic at hand. Furthermore..

[quote="Phil D.":2469b]
Because I added something in an edit so as to not create a post? Is that supposed to be a dig at me?

Phil if I said this about JP I could assure you, I would have a whole army going right after me. Your statement shows your favoritism and has a hint of irony, which I happen to dislike.[/quote:2469b]

Feel free to dislike it, but we honestly don't care whether or not you approve of Phil's irony..

This brings me to another topic, this forum is run in a way that whenever something is said to advise it is taken as an offense and when the criticism isn't as tranquil the thread gets b/locked. Being too docile is should be unacceptable.

Hey, YOU were the one who originally saw Phil's post as criticism (which it clearly wasn't..) and YOU were the one who blew this whole thing out of proportions. Also, Phil replied and tried to clarify his first post to avoid further misinterpretation, yet you brushed this off and continued with your controversy. This all just bleeds hypocricy. You alone are at fault, so stop trying to cover your ass by blaming members who acted appropriately.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way this forum is run and if you're unhappy with it, I suggest you leave rather than causing trouble.

Immature is what you do when you hang around spots and you ruin them for everyone. If you cannot intercept humor with my signature I apologize.
I am entitled to an opinion and when I hear "anet is this, anet is that" I feel like making a candid remark. At least I'm not false and dishonest like some.

Hang around spots and ruin them for everyone? I don't even understand what you are trying to say. What the hell does this have to do with anything? Stop accusing others of being immature, as clearly you are the only one guilty of this.
If this thread has proven anything at all, then it is that YOU are the one who cannot interperet the humor in other members' posts.
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion, but unless it relates to the subject at hand, you need to keep it to yourself or at least message privately with the member you disagree with as to ruining the discussion for everybody.

I've had a long and stressful day in and out of lectures. I get home, log on, open this thread expecting to read about a topic that I was genuinely interested it (JP's 1,000,000th shot) and instead I find myself spending my time trying to put some ignorant little kid in his place. I suggest you get off your ego-trip and think about what other members have said to you before you post anything else..

Greets,
-Omario

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-23, 10:35 PM
Phil if I said this about JP I could assure you, I would have a whole army going right after me. Your statement shows your favoritism and has a hint of irony, which I happen to dislike.

I just said I meant no insult to either site. Did you read that? Or consider that? I'd prefer that you flat out call me a liar instead of ignoring what I said.

Please explain how this shows MY favoritism. People who mis-analyze or over-analyze can say that I'm insulting EITHER site with that statement, but the FACT is that I'm insulting neither. Why would you think that I have a preference to either site? I have none whatsoever.

I personally, do not think that this site leans either way in regards to preference of photo database sites. I think any opinions shown here are proportionate to the overall opinions of the general aviation enthusiast population. If there are more people that feel one way or another, that is not my control. Unless people violate rules that we've made, it's not my place to push them to form those opinions.

I really don't understand this, but I am ASSUMING that you're implying I have a bias towards JP. I have ALWAYS made great strides to support EITHER site during serious complaints about them. This pertains to Anet especially after the purchasing of Demand Media, when people were screaming about how the site will now be destroyed and such. The only time I ever chose JP over Anet is in regards to photo usage on the site, which was only a way of promoting the NYCAviation Spotting Group, a feature which Anet does not have, and which is a photo usage guideline that I've since rescinded months ago already.

Feel free to search through my thousands of posts on Anet or here to find me sharing anti-Anet sentiment. Please.

As for me, whom you seem to feel is responsible for tolerating certain or supporting such behavior, I am here to work on a site that promotes our hobby. This hobby is one that I enjoy a lot, and that's why I am here. I am not here for the drama you imply. All I can do is read what I can of these boards, and moderate as I see it, or as people point out. I've not seen PMs, emails or contact from you notifying me of specific examples, but only vague call-outs when you feel so motivated to instigate.

If you feel we are not moderating the site properly, link me to examples. That's all it takes.

In debates here and with yourself and (very few) others in the past, it's been implied that I am a liar or that I'm deceitful towards or misleading people or members. It's also been hinted at that I "cover up" posts or have some back-end allegiance. Yet when I say and ask these direct questions, they never get addressed and neither of you have the balls to flat out accuse me, but only to make vague, silly, unfounded and most importantly, unsupported remarks.

You seem so nice and friendly in person, but talk up a big game on the boards. As I said in my PM to you, it's shocking to read your attitude on here, as the Jakub I've met in person has no hint of negativity like that.

If you dislike the site and the people who come here to enjoy aviation, then go be miserable somewhere else. We don't get a million hits per day, but many people come here to ENJOY aviation. You seem to ENJOY creating drama out of a HOBBY that is supposed to be FUN for people. It was fun until you invented the trouble in this thread.

I'm free for PM discussion, or email, or even telephone, which I'd enjoy. I'd rather work on the site, or on chores around the apartment, or doing things I like than to sit here and argue with a smart young person who has been misled to believe that there's a sinister back room where people plot, plan and work against a certain photo database site for whichever reasons you think we do so.

Seriously, why do you look me in the eye and shake my hand if you feel this way? My gestures toward you are genuine. Don't accept them in the future if you think I'm a liar or cheat.

mirrodie
2007-10-24, 11:26 AM
Having just read Phils last post, I have to agree with Phil And I don't agree with him all the time. We know this.

I think Phil runs this site in a very transparent way. That is a HUGE BENEFIT to you.

And drawing from my experience on how we run things at Airliners.net, I can use that for reference and say you are incorrect in your assumptions Jakub.

this forum is run in a way that whenever something is said to advise it is taken as an offense and when the criticism isn't as tranquil the thread gets b/locked. Being too docile is should be unacceptable.

It was not blocked. Phil split this to its own topic. At Anet, it would have been locked or deleted and continued on email with the crew.

At least Phil gives you every transparent opportunity to make your views known and does so publically and by PM, any option you chose. So sorry. Knowing how we run Anet, its certainly different here.

Immature is what you do when you hang around spots and you ruin them for everyone

Not sure what you mean. By hanging aroudn spots do you mean for photography? And if yes, how does that apply to the topic at hand?

Oh, for the record, I work for anet and have met the owner of JP, I upload to BOTH JP and Anet and they both have their pros and cons.

I have nothing against you nor do I think we've ever met. But why the sardonic and unnecessary deviation from Phil's opening post that transcended to this topic?

best,
mirrodie

lijk604
2007-10-24, 05:08 PM
I hate to stretch an argument longer than it's worth, but, if you do a search on A.net for Tom Alfano, you get 152 matching photos. A search of Phil Derner Jr. came up with 418 photos, both have RECENT photos on the site. Now, if that doesn't prove that they support A.net, nothing does! So a wisecrack comment made when shooting with friends should not be taken so seriously. Gese Jakub lighten up!

MarkLawrence
2007-10-24, 07:21 PM
Guys - can't we agree that both sites are great for pictures and most of us have pictures on both. I'm reminded of a point that was made before on another topic - any visitors to the site thinking of joining are going to see the back and forth and wonder if they really should join. Both a.net and jp.net have their place in the internet world.

Mellyrose
2007-10-24, 07:54 PM
That's the point. No one was arguing about it at all (and honestly, I don't think anyone is arguing about it still...except Jakub). The thread was just congratulating JP for the milestone and Phil made and observation that was taken out of context, twisted around and thrown entirely out of proportion.

You know, we are very, very careful (as mods) about what type of "Anet vs JP" conversation we even allow on these boards. We delete plenty of threads started by new members who don't know what kind of trouble that starts to avoid the unnecessary drama.

stuart schechter
2007-10-24, 09:12 PM
Well I will repeat what I said, you can sense the favoritism that JP receives on these boards and saying anything against or suggesting anything gets blown out of proportion, because of people who cannot maintain neutral views.

Jakub, Last time I checked, YOU, yes YOU, brought up this arguement. You started this tussle we have at hand. We were having a great post just congratulating JP on there photos. And you have to come in saying just because YOU think that Phil is taking a stab at A.net, when in fact he wasn't, that this forum is biased. So if you think that NYCA is biased, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE. Ask yourself, if your always sensing that there is "photowebsitism"(couldn't think of the word), then why bother posting here. It is only creating problems and fights that are all little kilobytes on a server. In the long run, do these forums actually have a big impact on our lives? Will you die because someone made fun of A.net? Just ask yourself...

EDIT: In response to Omar's post below, my "do these forums have an impact on your life" was meant towards fighting and arguing on the board. sorry to all offended.

jran225
2007-10-24, 09:57 PM
In the long run, do these forums actually have a big impact on our lives?

Actually, they do.
I have met many great people through these forums whom I consider close friends in "real life"; that is, outside of the boundaries of this site. As such, the forums have had a substantial positive impact on my life. Forum members are more than just usernames and avatars on a computer screen; they are real people who deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Jakub can't just give other members a hard time in the forums and expect to interact with them at the next spotting outing as if nothing ever happened.
Always act appropriately and respect each other, whether online or in person.

Greets,
-Omar S. :)

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-25, 08:16 AM
All I see is that some people unfortunatley take this way too seriously, and want to create drama over some very unnecessary and petty topics.

Only one instnace in my "aviation" life have I showed any malicious feeling towards another person or establishment publicly, and I have since apologized publicly for it (a person, not a member of this site). I'm only shocked, as it's difficult to take this seriously enough to be insulted anymore, that anyone would think that I actually embrace or go out of my way to SUPPORT a bias or harbor negative feelings towards anyone or anything pertaining to this hobby at this point in time.

SP-LPB
2007-10-25, 10:44 PM
Jakub you seem to be twisting words, yes I did say A.net was crap simply because I know I can get a response or a look from you, which I did, so mission accomplished, its called busting chops. My friends and I bust each other all the time with stuff that we know gets under our skins.

Yes, Tommy but if I had said that about JP you would've taken it as an grave offense. Stop trying to get out of something on a good note. You know what you did and it would be noble of you to admit to it. I didn't twist words I wrote what you said and you're making an attempt to save your image. Tommy when you brought up the topic of Anet everyone was in my face making ridiculous accusations that "anet's this anet's that." You took great pleasure in it having an ignorant smirk on your face.

Hey, YOU were the one who originally saw Phil's post as criticism (which it clearly wasn't..) and YOU were the one who blew this whole thing out of proportions. Also, Phil replied and tried to clarify his first post to avoid further misinterpretation, yet you brushed this off and continued with your controversy. This all just bleeds hypocricy. You alone are at fault, so stop trying to cover your ass by blaming members who acted appropriately.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way this forum is run and if you're unhappy with it, I suggest you leave rather than causing trouble.

Omar first of all where are you coming from? I felt that Phil's post hinted criticism and I will not rebuke this. Phil's reply was vague and in turn it went on to attack me. When I see something that goes against my ideals I will step into it. I actually had no intention to replying to this thread, but Phil's post caused me to do so.

Hang around spots and ruin them for everyone? I don't even understand what you are trying to say. What the hell does this have to do with anything? Stop accusing others of being immature, as clearly you are the only one guilty of this.
If this thread has proven anything at all, then it is that YOU are the one who cannot interperet the humor in other members' posts.
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion, but unless it relates to the subject at hand, you need to keep it to yourself or at least message privately with the member you disagree with as to ruining the discussion for everybody.

Your lack of comprehension of this matter has a simple explanation to it. You're an out of towner, not that it's anything negative, but you didn't follow an earlier thread in the spotter blotter. If you'd have know what its content was you would've clearly understood what I had on my mind. So this brings me to a question. Omar what are your intentions? You replied when you saw that Phil was under attack. Basically your seeing what he said in the exact same way he wants you to see this. Phil I didn't want to drag you into this, but Omar made a fool out of himself by making prejudice statements that were aimed at your defense.

I've had a long and stressful day in and out of lectures. I get home, log on, open this thread expecting to read about a topic that I was genuinely interested it (JP's 1,000,000th shot) and instead I find myself spending my time trying to put some ignorant little kid in his place. I suggest you get off your ego-trip and think about what other members have said to you before you post anything else..

Omar honestly who cares about your day? Frankly I don't. Your tackiness just proves that you sound like a brat. You make points according to your feelings. It looks like that you had a bad day so you decided to take it out on me. You insulted me by suggesting I am stupid and that I'm an "ignorant little kid." Who are you to say that you came to put me in my place? What gives you the right? You consider yourself too imperious, you like to dominate. The character of your response clearly displays this. If your ranking people that shows you what type of a person you are. By calling me a “little kid” you exposed it. This shows that your intention was to pick on the weak; well in that case you were proven wrong, because I am neither week nor a kid.

Let's face it, you sat in class all day, on your behind doing nothing but listening to a lecture. I don't think that you were so stressed. You don't get a stomach ulcer from it. As I suggested you're a brat and if life would give you a kick you'd understand what it real is about. It's not about only "me."

Forum members are more than just usernames and avatars on a computer screen; they are real people who deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Jakub can't just give other members a hard time in the forums and expect to interact with them at the next spotting outing as if nothing ever happened.
Always act appropriately and respect each other, whether online or in person.

Listen to these hypocrisies! First he writes that I am a low-life who has no say and then he says that we should respect and treat people with dignity. Thank you oh dear mentor! You're the example that I sought...

T-Bird76
2007-10-25, 10:57 PM
Yes, Tommy but if I had said that about JP you would've taken it as a grave offense. Stop trying to get out of something on a good note. You know what you did and it would be noble of you to admit to it. I didn't twist words I wrote what you said and you're making an attempt to save your image. Tommy when you brought up the topic of Anet everyone was in my face making ridiculous accusations that "anet's this anet's that." You took great pleasure in it having an ignorant smirk on your face.

Save my image Jakub? I think my image and reputation are just fine. I also recall I did admit that I said A.net sucks, I say that about a million times to Nick as well because like you it gets under his skin, and Nick turns around and tells me JP.net sucks and that we only have an accept button. Also you should listen to Omar, I've met him a number of times, and he’s a pretty smart fellow and someone that doesn't hide behind the cloak of a computer. I haven't found a topic yet to debate with Omar on but I dare say I think I'd enjoy it when I do because he doesn't lie, make things up, and respects other people's opinions even though those opinions aren't his.

Jakub what you did was wrong; you've done it before to Phil and this site. Myself personally I find it laughable that you think Phil has some kind of hidden agenda but the reality is it’s sad. Its mentally unhealthy that you would go out of you're way to continue to try to discredit the work Phil has done. What you won't admit because you're not fully aware of it is that you're jealous of others and the relationships that this site has created. That underlying jealously is your motivation behind your remarks and the constant attempts to discredit the work that is done here. The members who responded to this thread made very good points, you believe they are all wrong but perhaps you are the one that is wrong. That is the last I'll speak on this topic but I do wish you luck in your future endeavors and hope that in the future you will not be so quick to react to a simple comment with such anger and hate.

SP-LPB
2007-10-25, 11:13 PM
I will be glad to read it. You're not willing to write it here because you most probably will be unable to stick to your own rules.

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-26, 06:03 AM
It's clear we're not getting anywhere here. Some people are just stuck in their views.

I can be emailed or PMed if anyone would like to continue the discussion.

This thread will now be locked.