PDA

View Full Version : Albany Sun 10/14

lijk604
2007-10-15, 03:54 PM
I ran upstate for the weekend, and got some nice shots Saturday (10/13) afternoon, I'll post some after I recover from the trip, as airplanes were second priority on this trip. I went back to the airport Sunday morning and caught some early morning shots. As I was waiting for the 845am SWA departure to leave, I notice an officer approach the fence on a "golf buggy" type vehicle. Keep in mind, at this point traffic was very slow, so I was just sitting in my car. I see him coming, so I got out of the car and met him by the fence. He advised me of the "Official Observation Area" closer to the terminal at the South end of the field. He also said, "You are not doing anything wrong, but if you stay here for a while, the Sheriff would most likely drive by on rounds and check you out." I asked him if it was okay to stay and catch the one last departure before I left, and he said no problem. So true to my word, after the SWA took off, so did I.

All in all, I was going to leave anyway as the light was getting tough, and I had other things planned, but this was the first time anyone at ALB had ever said anything to me. Matter of fact, when I was there Saturday afternoon, a TSA vehicle passed by where I was; I waved from the car, they waved back and kept moving. I know a lot of this group doesn't get up that way, but for the one or two that are in that area, have you experienced anything similar?

Gerard
2007-10-15, 07:20 PM
>know a lot of this group doesn't get up that way, but for the one or two that are in that area, have you experienced anything similar?<

I was up there a few years ago for a couple of hours and had no problems. They have the
NY State PD Aviation hangar there and do they still have the Air Guard base?

GrummanFan
2007-10-15, 07:38 PM
They have the NY State PD Aviation hangar there and do they still have the Air Guard base?

Yupp, both of those are there, plus that jail nearby. I have yet to go to ALB this fall, but when I have gone in the past I have never had any problems. And I would assume that I look somewhat sketchy because I am always on my bike, encircling the airport, and I have a tendency to cut a few corners to different spots once in a while.