PDA

View Full Version : Funky Hybrid

Iberia A340-600
2007-10-07, 10:12 PM
[jetphotos:19ef0]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6080356[/jetphotos:19ef0]

Well ain't that something?

nwafan20
2007-10-07, 10:16 PM
WOW!!! I WANT IT SOOO BAD RIGHT NOW!!! Ugh, send it to DTW! PLEASE!

T-Bird76
2007-10-07, 10:32 PM
That is def an interesting catch! In an odd sort of way its a rather ironic statement about air travel today.

nikon50bigma
2007-10-07, 10:59 PM
So how does something like that workout, they pay UPS to rent the rudder?

cancidas
2007-10-08, 12:18 AM
makes you wonder who they had to beat up for that rudder... :lol:

strange to see something like that, you would think that NWA's mx would have thier own.

hiss srq
2007-10-08, 02:34 AM
I would say that at this point the plane is quite desireable to capture between the rudder and the wingletts. :borat:

T-Bird76
2007-10-08, 09:29 AM
So how does something like that workout, they pay UPS to rent the rudder?

It very well could be a surplus part that was once on a UPS plane taken off for repair, UPS installed another one, this one got fixed, NWA needed it, bought it and now its on their plane. I wonder how long until they repaint it?

Matt Molnar
2007-10-08, 10:39 AM
That looks so obscenely bad from a customer point of view. Even if it's only cosmetic, it could make one wonder about the maintenance and safety of NW aircraft. After my gf endured 2 hour MX delays BOTH WAYS on LGA-IND-LGA on NW last weekend, it makes me wonder.

hiss srq
2007-10-08, 02:03 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, to reflet the level of service we are no0w providing to you we have entered into an agreement with UPS (hence the rudder) and as a bonus to you being treated like a UPS package we will also throw in the two day delay for no added charge courtesey of UPS and Northwest Airlines. Remember when you absolutely need it lost and utterly late think of us at UPS/Northwest. The lack of serivce will also come free of charge. :wink: :twisted:

Alex T
2007-10-08, 04:51 PM
That is def an interesting catch! In an odd sort of way its a rather ironic statement about air travel today.

Indeed so...

"Here at Northwest, we try to pack you in like cargo, in fact to show our committed statement, here is our tail!"

Just replace, Northwest with any airline, and the message is the same!

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2007-10-08, 06:21 PM
Keep in mind that NW surely doesn't have aircraft parts at every station of theirs. Should an aircraft go AOG somewhere, they'd have to get parts from wherever they can get them, especially other airlines.

It's standard with ANY airline's operation. In this one, though, the airline would usually try to swap out the replacement with one that doesn't have another airline's logo on it or something at least. Who knows how long that rudder will be like that. Might be gone already.

mirrodie
2007-10-08, 06:25 PM
Yes I doubt it will last long. Looks like an old beat up Hyundai with whatever panels they could find thrown together and not painted or sanded. You know what I'm talking about.

DHG750R
2007-10-09, 12:57 AM
That rudder may be just a loaner as Phil said , The plan could be to swap it back at some point. Also if NW did indeed purchase it from UPS , rudders need to be painted via a special process to balance it.

Darrell

G-BOAD
2007-10-09, 02:46 PM
That looks pretty cool! :borat:
Im gussing it was a lightning strike (if anyone rembers "along came blue")?

SoPictureThis
2007-10-09, 03:35 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":d0a50]That is def an interesting catch! In an odd sort of way its a rather ironic statement about air travel today.

Indeed so...

"Here at Northwest, we try to pack you in like cargo, in fact to show our committed statement, here is our tail!"

Just replace, Northwest with any airline, and the message is the same!

Alex[/quote:d0a50]

replace Northwest with...Southwest! You're right, it's all crap in this country :lol:

- jMay

Mateo
2007-10-10, 01:01 AM
Who knows how long that rudder will be like that. Might be gone already.Photographed today at BWI by one of the locals still wearing the UPS rudder. Happy hunting!

adam613
2007-10-10, 11:16 AM
Photographed today at BWI by one of the locals still wearing the UPS rudder. Happy hunting!

Wow, it managed to cross the Atlantic with that thing :)

moose135
2007-10-13, 10:46 PM
Saw a thread on another forum with a photo of this bird on the ramp at BOS last week. The poster noted: "NWA ran the hanger doors into this airplane,and now they are leasing a rudder from UPS until there rudder is repaired."