PDA

View Full Version : US Airways slashes Flights, jobs at PIT.

Alex T
2007-10-04, 04:16 PM
US Airways slashes flights, jobs
Airline will have 68 daily trips, 1,800 workers here
Thursday, October 04, 2007
By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When Doug Parker unveiled the union of US Airways and America West Airlines in May 2005, the chief executive officer reassured Pittsburghers that "we have no intentions of making major changes" in a city already decimated by flight cuts and layoffs since 9/11.

How wrong that prediction turned out to be.

Geez....

I thought PIT was in good shape for it, but I guess not.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07277/822782-28.stm

PIT now only has 13 mainline flights over STL with AA who has 54 mainline flights.

Thats assuming no more cuts are done at PIT..

Alex

T-Bird76
2007-10-04, 04:32 PM
PIT is going to be totally empty! I was there this year and was surprised how empty it was with the cuts US had already made. It’s too bad to because it’s a nice airport, great shopping area, and some good eats. It’s also a very big airport, I wonder who if any will attempt to replace US by opening a hub there?

Matt Molnar
2007-10-04, 05:03 PM
I was there a few weeks ago (trip report still to come) and was amazed how empty it was. I don't know why it's so big to begin with. It has 100 gates! When I landed around 9:30am and walked around, maybe a dozen gates were being used. :shock: It's a nice place but it seems like entirely too much for what is needed.

adam613
2007-10-04, 05:28 PM
I was there a few weeks ago (trip report still to come) and was amazed how empty it was. I don't know why it's so big to begin with. It has 100 gates! When I landed around 9:30am and walked around, maybe a dozen gates were being used. :shock: It's a nice place but it seems like entirely too much for what is needed.

PIT was pretty well-utilized when USAir was there in full force, but USAir doesn't do much anymore, so it's very underutilized. I'm not even sure who I could see moving in. The area doesn't draw a tremendous amount of local traffic, and it's too far east to make sense as a domestic hub. It would work well for an international hub though...

Alex T
2007-10-04, 05:38 PM
I STAND CORRECTED :shock: :shock:

Turns out its 68 FLIGHTS TOTAL at US Airways.

STL is now much bigger with AA then US at PIT.

Holy cow!

Alex