PDA

View Full Version : US Airways and Delta are going to China!

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-09-25, 12:17 PM
US Airways Awarded New China Route
Airline plans to begin its first-ever non-stop service to Beijing from its
Philadelphia hub in 2009
TEMPE, Ariz., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) today announced it has awarded US Airways (NYSE: LCC) a new route between its Philadelphia hub and the Chinese capital city of Beijing. The daily service to China will begin in 2009 with wide-body Airbus A340 aircraft configured to seat 269 (42 Envoy and 227 economy). The flight will originate at the airline's hub in Charlotte, N.C.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker stated, "We are extremely honored by the Department's decision to award US Airways with this service, and I want to personally thank Secretary Peters and others on her staff who worked diligently to review our application. The Department conducted a fair and thorough process and because of that work, today, US Airways has been presented with an historic opportunity for our airline's employees and our customers."

Continues Parker, "We are also most appreciative of the support demonstrated by many federal, state and local elected officials and business leaders. Specifically, from Pennsylvania, Gov. Edward G. Rendell and U.S. Senators Arlen Specter and Robert P. Casey, Jr. and Philadelphia Mayor John F. Street; from North Carolina, Senators Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr as well as Gov. Michael F. Easley and Charlotte Mayor Patrick McCrory; from Delaware, Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., Sen. Thomas R. Carper, U.S. Rep. Michael N. Castle and Gov. Ruth Ann Minner.

"Lastly, thanks to our customers and employees also played a big role in garnering support for this service, further demonstrating how working together can bring about positive results for the future of US Airways."

Philadelphia is the second largest city on the East Coast and the fifth in the nation, with a metropolitan area of almost six million people. Before the DOT award, it is also the second largest U.S. metro area without nonstop service to China.

US Airways currently serves 19 million customers annually at its Philadelphia hub, and operates 417 daily flights to 111 destinations in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

Printer friendly

Delta Air Lines Wins Rights to Serve China Nonstop from Atlanta
Flights between world’s largest airline hub in Atlanta and fast-growing Shanghai slated to begin March 30, 2008
ATLANTA, Sept. 25, 2007 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) is poised to add nonstop flights between the world’s largest airline hub in Atlanta and Shanghai, China*, effective March 30, 2008, based on a ruling issued today by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
“We applaud Secretary Peters and the Department of Transportation for recognizing that nonstop Delta flights between Atlanta and Shanghai will bring more value to airline customers than any competing route application,” said Delta Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson. “Delta’s new flights to China will fill a critical void in air travel today by providing the 65 million residents of the Southeast with direct access to the world’s fastest growing economy.”
Nearly 70,000 people supported Delta’s application to serve Shanghai from Atlanta, including more than 80 federal, state and local officials; and more than 80 companies, airports, business, tourism and professional organizations.
Delta plans to provide daily nonstop service between Atlanta and China using its flagship Boeing 777 aircraft in a two-class configuration featuring BusinessElite, Delta’s award-winning business class service. Additionally, Delta plans to introduce fully horizontal lie-flat seats on its Boeing 777 fleet beginning in 2008, with new in-seat entertainment system offering on-demand, digital video and music at every suite.
Delta Air Lines operates service to more destinations than any global airline with Delta and Delta Connection flights to 315 destinations in 54 countries. Since 2005, Delta has added more international capacity than all other major U.S. airlines combined and is a leader across the Atlantic with flights to 36 trans-Atlantic markets. To Latin America and the Caribbean, Delta offers nearly 400 weekly flights to 54 destinations. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on nearly 15,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Including its SkyTeam and worldwide codeshare partners, Delta offers flights to 477 worldwide destinations in 103 countries. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

i_mizrahi
2007-09-25, 01:49 PM
Those are VERY big news for the U.S. airline industry. For the first time in history, all 6 major U.S. airlines will fly to east Asia. Congratulations to US and DL.
Izhar

hiss srq
2007-09-25, 01:57 PM
Congradualtions to both airlines. Excuse me while I begin packing for my trip. :borat: :borat: :borat: :borat: :borat:

nwafan20
2007-09-25, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry, I don't think US Airways should have gotten it...

For one, they don't even have an aircraft for it yet, the pilots are about to start WWIII, and they are still 2 seperate airlines from almost every way you look at it... I have a feeling there was a lot of lobbying going on...

nwafan20
2007-09-25, 04:44 PM
Apperently Northwest won rights as well, I wonder why that wasn't noticed?

Northwest Airlines Awarded Tentative U.S. Department Of Transportation Approval For New U.S.-China Nonstop Service

EAGAN, Minn. – (September 25, 2007) – Northwest Airlines (NYSE: NWA) today was notified by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) that its bid to provide new nonstop service between Detroit and Shanghai has been tentatively approved effective March 25, 2009.

“This is a great development for travelers who need convenient nonstop service between the U.S. and China. We’re pleased with the DOT’s decision which clearly serves the DOT’s stated goals of enhancing competition and providing travelers with a diversity of choices that maximize public benefits,” said Doug Steenland, Northwest president and chief executive officer. “We’re grateful to the 136,000 Northwest customers, corporate clients, partners, elected officials and employees who wrote in support of our bid. I would like to also thank the U.S. Government for its success in negotiating the new air service agreement that made today’s announcement possible.”

Northwest’s WorldGateway hub at Detroit is the largest U.S. gateway to Asia of any U.S. airline, offering a broad network of coverage from more than 100 U.S. cities. Detroit lies on the Great Circle route and is geographically well located to serve the most U.S. cities with efficient connections and shortest trip times to China.

Northwest plans to use the Boeing 787 for the new service. Northwest is the North American service launch customer for the 787, a fuel-efficient aircraft that will usher in a new era of customer comfort and convenience. The 787 will be one of the most environmentally-friendly commercial planes in the sky.

Northwest Airlines is one of the world’s largest airlines with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,400 daily departures. Northwest is a member of SkyTeam, an airline alliance that offers customers one of the world’s most extensive global networks. Northwest and its travel partners serve more than 1,000 cities in excess of 160 countries on six continents.

nwafan20
2007-09-25, 04:45 PM

Northwest Airlines Awarded Tentative U.S. Department Of Transportation Approval For New U.S.-China Nonstop Service

EAGAN, Minn. – (September 25, 2007) – Northwest Airlines (NYSE: NWA) today was notified by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) that its bid to provide new nonstop service between Detroit and Shanghai has been tentatively approved effective March 25, 2009.

“This is a great development for travelers who need convenient nonstop service between the U.S. and China. We’re pleased with the DOT’s decision which clearly serves the DOT’s stated goals of enhancing competition and providing travelers with a diversity of choices that maximize public benefits,” said Doug Steenland, Northwest president and chief executive officer. “We’re grateful to the 136,000 Northwest customers, corporate clients, partners, elected officials and employees who wrote in support of our bid. I would like to also thank the U.S. Government for its success in negotiating the new air service agreement that made today’s announcement possible.”

Northwest’s WorldGateway hub at Detroit is the largest U.S. gateway to Asia of any U.S. airline, offering a broad network of coverage from more than 100 U.S. cities. Detroit lies on the Great Circle route and is geographically well located to serve the most U.S. cities with efficient connections and shortest trip times to China.

Northwest plans to use the Boeing 787 for the new service. Northwest is the North American service launch customer for the 787, a fuel-efficient aircraft that will usher in a new era of customer comfort and convenience. The 787 will be one of the most environmentally-friendly commercial planes in the sky.

Northwest Airlines is one of the world’s largest airlines with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,400 daily departures. Northwest is a member of SkyTeam, an airline alliance that offers customers one of the world’s most extensive global networks. Northwest and its travel partners serve more than 1,000 cities in excess of 160 countries on six continents.

njgtr82
2007-09-25, 04:50 PM

Along with United, Continental and American for 2009.

Ari707
2007-09-25, 05:28 PM
So how many A340's is US Airways going to get 2?? can a -300 do PHL- Beijing nonstop both ways all year?

hiss srq
2007-09-25, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry, I don't think US Airways should have gotten it...

For one, they don't even have an aircraft for it yet, the pilots are about to start WWIII, and they are still 2 seperate airlines from almost every way you look at it... I have a feeling there was a lot of lobbying going on...

The rights to the service were in the bag from the getgo andf actually as of midnight USAirways will be one airline. The only remaining step will be the contract intergration for pilots. That issue will be resolved very shortly before the new year and that will be that. The stickers on west birds will be removed from the door starting tomorrow morning announceing who operates what for who under what banner. Just about every airline that applied for route service got it this round. That was a suprise but not that US got rights to a route.

i_mizrahi
2007-09-26, 02:23 AM
So how many A340's is US Airways going to get 2?? can a -300 do PHL- Beijing nonstop both ways all year?

If I recall correctly, US is going to buy some used Air Canada A345 for this route. AC is dumping its A340s in favor of new B777.

hiss srq
2007-09-26, 02:29 AM
The 500's are gone. If 500's come into the fleet it is going to be new build birds on order conversion which is possible but who knows. As of now the type will be likely the 300 instead. USAirways announces new hairdryer service to China!

i_mizrahi
2007-09-26, 02:32 AM
The 500's are gone. If 500's come into the fleet it is going to be new build birds on order conversion which is possible but who knows. As of now the type will be likely the 300 instead. USAirways announces new hairdryer service to China!

Are you sure the 343 can fly PHL-PKK non stop?

Nonstop2AUH
2007-09-26, 02:38 AM
Congrats to the US and DL employees here. Re US Airways China Application, might want to check this thread from earlier in the summer, there is a link to some details of what they proposed but it is certainly A340-300, just sorry we won't get to see it in the dark blue livery!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7615&p=59660&hilit=us+airways+a340#p59660 (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7615&p=59660&hilit=us+airways+a340#p59660)

hiss srq
2007-09-26, 03:01 AM
[quote="hiss srq":709e9]The 500's are gone. If 500's come into the fleet it is going to be new build birds on order conversion which is possible but who knows. As of now the type will be likely the 300 instead. USAirways announces new hairdryer service to China![/quote:709e9]

It certianly can, I think it is going to be payload restricted but than again US does not have the planes yet so I cannot say.

Iberia A340-600
2007-09-26, 07:11 AM
[quote="hiss srq":33116]The 500's are gone. If 500's come into the fleet it is going to be new build birds on order conversion which is possible but who knows. As of now the type will be likely the 300 instead. USAirways announces new hairdryer service to China!

Well it certainly won't be Air Canada A340-500s as both will got to TAM. C-GKOL has actually already ferried to Singapore prior to delivery to TAM.

I'm sure with Air Canada getting rid of their -300's US Airways is bound to pick up a few.

Matt Molnar
2007-09-26, 01:25 PM
Does PHL currently receive any 4-holers?

Tom_Turner
2007-09-26, 04:09 PM
Does PHL currently receive any 4-holers?

Air France A340s sometimes I believe; definitely UPS DC-8s,.....

Probably not what you had in mind, but also Mesaba Avro jets.... :D

Tom

T-Bird76
2007-09-26, 04:26 PM
BA also has or had 747s at PHL. I guess US will go through and aquire the AC A345s now. Those should look good in US's colors.

hiss srq
2007-09-26, 11:25 PM
300's Tommy, 300's.

Iberia A340-600
2007-09-26, 11:36 PM
BA also has or had 747s at PHL. I guess US will go through and aquire the AC A345s now. Those should look good in US's colors.

-500s = TAM :borat:

FlyNavy
2007-09-28, 08:09 AM
I might be wrong, but wasn't SQ dropping their A345s in favor of 777-200LRs? Or was that Thai? Either way, that's another option I suppose.

hiss srq
2007-09-28, 09:26 PM
It is confirmed though it will not be 500's. It is going to be 300's. Fuel stops here they come. ANC might be the third city to see US four holers frequently! :roll:

Iberia A340-600
2007-09-28, 09:40 PM
I might be wrong, but wasn't SQ dropping their A345s in favor of 777-200LRs? Or was that Thai? Either way, that's another option I suppose.

There was talk of Thai dropping their A340-500s to South African and talks here and there about Singapore dropping their set but nothing has surfaced and it was only rumors.

FlyNavy
2007-09-29, 03:58 AM
I'm booked on the first ATL-PVG flight, DL 19 on 3/30/07, returning 4/2/07 on DL 16. Both flights are on 777-200ER. The 777-200LRs will be used on the JFK-BOM route initially, freeing up the ERs for PVG.