PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Aliens to get drivers license in New York

Midnight Mike
2007-09-23, 07:42 PM
GOV TAKING LICENSE WITH ALIEN-DRIVER ID

September 22, 2007 -- ALBANY - Gov. Spitzer announced yesterday that illegal immigrants will get driver's licenses - but at a cost to legal citizens because they'll now be useless as airport ID.
Spitzer said the state would no longer require a Social Security number or proof that a person is not eligible for such a number in order to qualify for a driver's license.

That change clashes with the 2005 REAL ID law passed by Congress that states require, among other things, a Social Security number in order to get a license. States have until December 2009 to be in compliance.

States that fail to meet the standards will lose their certification by the Department of Homeland Security, meaning that driver's licenses in those states will no longer be valid for air travel, entry to federal facilities and for tax purposes.
Travelers will now have to carry a second form of ID, like a passport, which was met with criticism yesterday.
"To outright dismiss the security needs of our state and nation and provide illegal aliens documentation is dangerous and inconceivable," said Sen. Dale Volker (R-Depew).

"Gov. Spitzer should not view New York state driver's licenses like baseball cards - handing them out just to score political points."

Rep. Peter King (R-L.I.), the ranking member on the House Committee on Homeland Security, said: "I strongly disagree with giving state-authorized IDs to illegal immigrants. More importantly, this proposal raises serious homeland-security concerns."

New York is the eighth state to give licenses to undocumented aliens.
Spitzer defended the policy, which was implemented unilaterally and first reported in yesterday's Post, by saying, "We will not extend the DMV to be a surrogate of the INS."

He said it will actually bolster security by bringing more people into the system, which could "help law-enforcement agencies in their investigations.

"We can bring people out of the shadows and into the system," he said at a news conference.
State Homeland Security Director Michael Balboni said New York would have to create a two-tier licensing system for citizens and non-citizens to be in compliance with the REAL ID act, which would require state legislative approval.

He said that few states would be compliant under the current Real ID system, which has drawn criticisms because of delays by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in releasing long-awaited regulations for implementing the law.

"We're only as strong as your weakest link, and if you have some states that aren't compliant, there's a huge security risk, which is why Real ID is in real trouble," Balboni said.
A Spitzer spokesman took it a step further, saying that even before the change, New York, along with the other 49 states, would not be compliant with the system.

Spitzer claims the change will reduce insurance-premium costs by 34 percent, because the number of insured drivers will go up.

The plan will be implemented in two phases.

The first, which will begin immediately, involves letters being sent to the roughly 152,000 state residents who have or previously have held licenses, but cannot renew them because of a change in their immigration status.

They can begin the process in December.

Six to eight months after that, the second phase will begin, allowing any New Yorkers with proof of identity, date of birth and fitness to drive to get a license.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-23, 08:12 PM
Boy am I happy I voted for Spitzer! This is REALLY working out!

Midnight Mike
2007-09-23, 08:20 PM
ov. Spitzer announced yesterday that illegal immigrants will get driver's licenses - but at a cost to legal citizens because they'll now be useless as airport ID.

hiss srq
2007-09-23, 08:27 PM
This is such a load of ****. Really amazing. I am disgusted.

Alex T
2007-09-23, 11:49 PM
ov. Spitzer announced yesterday that illegal immigrants will get driver's licenses - but at a cost to legal citizens because they'll now be useless as airport ID.

At what cost is it?

In form of payments? Taxes? What type of physical payments do legal citizens have to pay for this service for the Immigrants?

Alex

RDU-JFK
2007-09-24, 10:16 AM
[quote]ov. Spitzer announced yesterday that illegal immigrants will get driver's licenses - but at a cost to legal citizens because they'll now be useless as airport ID.

At what cost is it?

In form of payments? Taxes? What type of physical payments do legal citizens have to pay for this service for the Immigrants?

Alex[/quote:fb5c2]

I'm assuming that they mean the driver lincese will no longer be a credible ID at an airport requiring a passport?

Alex T
2007-09-24, 01:40 PM
Ok So how is this a cost to the legal citizens?

That is what I am not understanding, how does that affect us?

Alex

Midnight Mike
2007-09-24, 02:14 PM
Ok So how is this a cost to the legal citizens?

That is what I am not understanding, how does that affect us?

Alex

It will make legal citizens adjust their lifestyle, the example that was given was that showing a drivers license will no longer be an acceptable ID at the airport.

By awarding illegal aliens drivers licenses, the state is encouragin illegal immgration by attracting them to the state. Those Welfare type programs that are safety nets for people that are legal to live in this country will be sucked dry as additional illegal aliens will start to head to the state....

In California, Emergency rooms are being shut down as they are being overwhelmed by illegal aliens that go to the Emergency Rooms instead of going to a doctor, city run colleges are having budget problems are additional illegal aliens are entering the school systems...

So, yes, there is a cost as we have to adjust our lifestyles & wait until your taxes increase....

Alex T
2007-09-24, 02:49 PM
Oh..

When I read seeing ID's no longer allowed, I thought it meant only the illegal immigrants, this includes legal citizens also?

Which then means we would be forced to get a passport if we do not have one?

Ok, I wondered if we would see a tax increase. Would this affect New York citizens or US citizens if this took place?

Alex

Midnight Mike
2007-09-24, 03:03 PM
Oh..

When I read seeing ID's no longer allowed, I thought it meant only the illegal immigrants, this includes legal citizens also?

Which then means we would be forced to get a passport if we do not have one?

Ok, I wondered if we would see a tax increase. Would this affect New York citizens or US citizens if this took place?

Alex

If New York allows Illegal Aliens to apply for green cards, you could see the Federal Government change ID requirements at the airports for all airport check-in's......

They have been fighting the issuance of drivers license for illegal aliens for several years now, many of the Democrats want it, the Republicans & some Democrats do not.....

RDU-JFK
2007-09-24, 03:09 PM

Alex

Expect to see tax increases across the board in NY state. I'm not holding my breath for NY State tax breaks with Spitz.