PDA

View Full Version : I'm Jealous of This Flight: LGA-JFK-EWR-ISP

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-22, 06:14 PM
This guy's hitting up all the local airports in a (within 24 hrs) day in a 172!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3544G

Plane is owned by these guys: http://www.midislandair.com/

ISP Pilot
2007-09-25, 06:59 PM
I'm jealous too! I've flown 44G before. It has a cool moving map GPS. When I flew ISP-JFK about 4 years ago, every air traffic contoller I spoke to asked me to confirm that I actually wanted to land at Kennedy and were surprised when I said 'Affirmative'!

NcSchu
2007-09-25, 07:09 PM
I'm surprised they're allowed to land at JFK and EWR, I would have thought such a small aircraft would have been prohibited from using the largest airports around the area.

Going to their website reminds me that I need to look into getting flying lessons one of these days..it doesn't seem that expensive.

mirrodie
2007-09-25, 07:23 PM
JFK is not allowed to be used as a training field, so I'm left wondering what the purpose of the flight was, especially as it was UN week and at 1 in the morning.

moose135
2007-09-25, 11:19 PM
JFK is not allowed to be used as a training field, so I'm left wondering what the purpose of the flight was, especially as it was UN week and at 1 in the morning.

It's probably one of those "just so we can say we did it" promotional deals, although I haven't heard anything about it anywhere else. I'm sure it was with a student pilot on board, and I'm sure the only way they could do it was by flying in the middle of the night.

cancidas
2007-09-25, 11:38 PM

It's probably one of those "just so we can say we did it" promotional deals, although I haven't heard anything about it anywhere else. I'm sure it was with a student pilot on board, and I'm sure the only way they could do it was by flying in the middle of the night.

moose is most likely right. while you can't do a touch-and-go at JFK, EWR and LGA you can land there. especially when there isn't much movement. i've personally done it before, and it looks great in your logbook:

FRG-JFK
JFK-LGA
LGA-EWR
EWR-FRG

pgengler
2007-09-26, 12:03 AM
How expensive is a trip like that, with all the landing fees at the big airports?

mirrodie
2007-09-26, 10:18 AM
How expensive is a trip like that, with all the landing fees at the big airports?

Well, back on 8/11/01, I took my intro flight with Mid Island Air Services out at ISP.

An estimate was given to me that flight instruction would cost ~$7500.

In comparison, those landing fees, I'm certain, are a drop in the bucket and minimal in the grand scheme of things ;

adam613
2007-09-26, 11:55 AM
The landing fee at JFK is only $25 during off-hours, and I believe LGA charges by weight, so the fee wouldn't be prohibitive for a 172. You'd spend a lot more on fuel.

Light aircraft operating at the big airports aren't entirely uncommon. I got a Cessna 210 last time I was at the Mounds, and an SR22 the first time I went out to JFK to take pictures. And I barely missed a Pilatus PC-12 last time I was at LGA; he was the first one to land after they switched from 4 to 22.

ISP Pilot
2007-09-28, 12:19 AM
The normal landing fee at JFK, LGA and EWR is $25, with a $100 "surcharge" for landing during peak hours. At JFK, they are from 3pm-10pm. At LGA, they are 8am-9pm. At EWR, they are from 8am-10am and 5pm-10pm.

Informant
2007-09-28, 11:12 PM
At JFK Its $25 plus $4 for every 1000 pounds that your aircraft weighs.
For a gate at Terminal 4 IAT, its $3500 per hour, for electric power supply another $500 per hour.And if you have a late departure, for every 15minutes you remain at the gate its $750,after 1 hour
that goes up to $5000.
South african pays the mostan they stay at the gate all day.

cancidas
2007-10-18, 08:22 PM
sheltair at LGA wanted $150 to park an A36 Bonanza at 5 towers for the day. double that if it spent the night. this was about a month ago.