PDA

View Full Version : UN Week Rules and Tips - Please Read

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-22, 11:03 AM
This year's UN week is upon us again, where we get to see some very exotic aircraft from around the world. To keep all the fun organized, please abide by and keep in mind the following.

- All UN aircraft visitors' info, discussion and photos should be posted in the designated "United Nations General Assembly 2007" thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8127 (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8127) . Posting in the airport's visitor threads might make some people miss certain movements. The only exception to this will be the SWF Daily thread. Feel free to also still post Spotting Planning and Review threads, but one per day please.

- Please keep your posts organized and clear if you are posting tracking information. Neatness makes it useful for everyone.

- Only post information that is relevant to spotting, and nothing that sacrifices security of any delegates or ambassadors. Any such postings will be deleted.

- When spotting, please follow the law. Please do not trespass or do anything that can get you into trouble or get an FBI tactical dispatched.

- As member's of the community, please keep any eye out for other suspicious activity around us when spotting. Watch people, cars and boats to make sure that all is safe....even for UN visitors that we might not like.

SoPictureThis
2007-09-22, 12:43 PM
lay it down, phil, lay it down

T-Bird76
2007-09-22, 02:34 PM
- When spotting, please follow the law. Please do not trespass or do anything that can get you into trouble or get an FBI tactical dispatched.

I second that! Use the spotting locations that Phil posted on the site. The last thing you want is to be stopped by Police because if you're someplace you don't belong you will be taken in.

Speedbird1
2007-09-27, 08:10 AM
I can't seem to locate the viewing spots that Phil posted on the website. Please advise. Thanks.

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-27, 09:19 AM
These are the two. You can get there by going to a non-message board page, and navigating on the toolbar to Tools>Spotting Maps.

http://nycaviation.com/jfkspotting

http://nycaviation.com/lgaspotting

Speedbird1
2007-09-27, 10:00 AM
Thanks for spotting info. I think the places I went to during the 80's and 90's are probably off-limits. My friend and I went up the hill by the approach lights on Rockaway Blvd to 22L in those days. Yes, there were many bugs and ticks. I brought along Bug spray which melted the plastic on my camera as the spray got on my hands and it's plastic unfriendly. The view from the hill was fantastic; you could see the aircraft approach way off before Garden City, see it approach and touch-down. The wind from the Concorde sometimes blew us over. The Concorde was sometimes sent-over to 22R as it was too close to the aircraft before it. That ruined my day! This spot is probably fenced-off now. The police only bothered those who were standing atop their cars or trucks, we were never told to leave. Another spot we used is near the 13L final approach light bank on 150th St. We hiked to the fence where 13L arrivals touch-down and sat for hours. Sometimes, PA police chased us away but we were usually left alone. A third place was the fence on the south side of 31R where the aircraft turn-off by the guard post. I was sometimes spotted and told to leave. I used to wave to the pilots from this spot especially if the aircraft rolled down to taxiway "WW". The good old days!