PDA

View Full Version : Rough 757 Landing

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-20, 06:58 PM
Remind me to make First Choice my last choice.

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGZ5NaKX3ow[/youtube

moose135
2007-09-20, 07:10 PM
Oh, come on now, Phil. You know what they say - any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, and if you can use the airplane again, it was a great landing :wink:

LGA777
2007-09-20, 08:53 PM
Actually I normally don't disagree with Phil but looking at the trees and the wind and a single runway airport with a potientally strong crosswind I would say First Choice did a pretty job considering the condtions !

Cheers

LGA777

MarkLawrence
2007-09-20, 09:09 PM
By looking at the approach, I think that is Funchal (LPMA) - have a look at some of the pictures on jp.net - you can see all types of fun there. The approach is:

[jetphotos:ede5e]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6058309&nseq=10[/jetphotos:ede5e]

Alex T
2007-09-20, 09:16 PM
Woooo some action there!

Reminds me of the DCA landing by a NWA 757 someone recorded last year I think?

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2007-09-20, 09:25 PM
Actually I normally don't disagree with Phil but looking at the trees and the wind and a single runway airport with a potientally strong crosswind I would say First Choice did a pretty job considering the condtions !

A good point, Ron. I guess it's a matter of perception.

Though it might have been good stick-work, if I was on that plane, I'd be wishing the pilot diverted instead of even putting me in that situation.

cancidas
2007-09-20, 09:30 PM
c'mon dude, those winds are gusting pretty good, not to mention they've got a pretty good crosswind. look at the constant pitch changes, that airplane is being bounced around by some wind sheer also. that's the reason they floated coming out of the flare and bounced as well. thier headwinds diminshed so now the airplane is too fast. it wasn't until the second landing that the weight-on-wheel sensors engaged and the spoilers opened up. the crew could have popped them by hand, but the resulting touchdown would have been harder than what we just watched.

cancidas
2007-09-20, 09:32 PM

A good point, Ron. I guess it's a matter of perception.

Though it might have been good stick-work, if I was on that plane, I'd be wishing the pilot diverted instead of even putting me in that situation.

no need for a diversion IMO. autoland might have done a better job, though the wind sheer would have still been an issue.

markg
2007-09-21, 10:26 AM
Don't worry Phil, First Choice are no more. They've been taken over by TUI!