PDA

View Full Version : Nice US Open Flyover Today

LGA777
2007-09-09, 08:33 PM
During the final phase of the US Open today (Sunday 9-9) around 1630 I witnessed (from work at LGA) a pretty nice flyover of what I believe was 4 F-18 Super Hornets that did a very low and tight flyover of Arthur Ash Stadium. I was pretty busy at the time but to the best of my knoweledge they did NOT land at LGA, and as I have somewhat weak Fighter Jet recognition skills if I misidentified the aircraft type my apologies in advance, and they where about a mile away. On a side note this is the first US Open in recent memory that I don't believe had any rain (or delays because of) during the entire event!

Cheers

LGA777

Gerard
2007-09-09, 09:14 PM
[>On a side note this is the first US Open in recent memory that I don't believe had any rain (or delays because of) during the entire event!<

Hasnt rained in about two weeks around here.
BTW, are these the CAP jets that will be working here on 9/11?

Mateo
2007-09-09, 09:51 PM
CAPs are Air Force, not Navy. They're typically done by units out of Langley (F-15s, F-22s, and VT ANG F-16s seconded there), Shaw, or Atlantic City (F-16s for those).

Gerard
2007-09-09, 10:06 PM
CAPs are Air Force, not Navy. They're typically done by units out of Langley (F-15s, F-22s, and VT ANG F-16s seconded there), Shaw, or Atlantic City (F-16s for those).

Thanks.

njgtr82
2007-09-10, 12:08 AM
The article that was posted said the aircraft on Tuesday are gonna be from Otis.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-09-10, 12:29 AM
Some minutes earlier, I saw 4 military jets flying northbound over the Hudson River, likely the same but could not tell the aircraft type from the angle I had.

Speedbird1
2007-09-10, 08:30 AM
Yes, I also saw and heard the jets making a flyover of the US Open on Sunday. Unfortunately, the trees around me, blocked my view. I also noticed a blimp which I believe said "Hood", as well as the Goodyear Blimp. LaGuardia was using Rwy 13 for departure, with a runway heading and what seemed to be a Whitestone Climb. And yes, I agree, this is the first US Open I can remember with not a drop of rain ! During the Open, the Queens Museum was free to all, so I went often to view the amazing Panorama of New York; the detail is amazing.

LGA777
2007-09-10, 09:19 AM
Speedbird1, LGA was using the Flushing Climb off 13 as SOP during the open. Runway heading for about 2-4 miles then a big left turn where it then resembles the Whitestone climb, only aircraft are slightly lower.

LGA777

Nonstop2AUH
2007-09-11, 05:11 AM
In another thread here SCOTYDEMCO said the flyover was by T38s, which I can believe because I thought the aircraft I saw over the Hudson looked like F5s from behind, Northrop aircraft are kind of distinctive from that angle.