PDA

View Full Version : Terminal 5 on TV tonight Sunday 26 August.

mirrodie
2007-08-26, 04:53 PM
This morning I awoke to find an hour and a half long show called "Terminal 5"

On Optimum Online TV, it was channel 714 ( I think.) It is the Gallery HD channel one of the VOOM TV channels.

It is showing again this evening at 9 PM.

It revolved around an art exhibit that took place in there in October 2004 and unfortunately lasted one night. The only thing I didn't like about the show was that it featured quite a few seemingly arrogant artists bashing the Port Authority. Sort of a he-said she-said scenario toward the end where try seem to try to blame the Port for the nonsense that ensured and subsequent closure of the exhibit.

Had some really good footage of the TWA terminal and the designer, Eero Saarinen.

I recommend that anyone liking aviation history should try to tune in or Tivo it. Then tell us your impressions.

From Optimum Online. (I think Dish also has Gallery HD)
Showings:

Sun, Aug 26 2007 9:00PM - 10:30PM, CH 714 GALHD
Sun, Sep 2 2007 7:00AM - 8:30AM, CH 714 GALHD
Sun, Sep 2 2007 7:00PM - 8:30PM, CH 714 GALHD

T-Bird76
2007-08-26, 05:01 PM
I saw it this morning after a certain someone rang me.....hehe :wink: I enjoyed seeing the terminal but what was done to it during that party was HARDLY covered by that program and that curator should have been brought up on charges for allowing it to happen. She was completely unprepared for the event, lied to Port, lied to her exhibitors and sponsors.

mirrodie
2007-08-26, 07:38 PM
While i never hear d about it when it actually occurred, here is a bit more info about why it was shut down.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/BKN/BKN002.htm

Also,

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/200 ... ibit_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-10-07-jfk-exhibit_x.htm)

Airport exhibit shut down after rowdy party
NEW YORK (AP) — The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey pulled the permit on an art exhibit at Kennedy Airport after an opening-night party left a landmark terminal strewn with cigarette butts, broken glass and empty liquor bottles.
The exhibit in the 42-year-old former TWA terminal, designed by Eero Saarinen, featured the work of 20 contemporary artists, including Kendell Geers, Jenny Holzer and Tom Sachs.

Port Authority spokesman Pasquale DiFulco said guests at Friday's opening-night party had been illegally smoking inside the terminal, and that liquor had been sold without a permit. He said a door had been broken, walls were covered with graffiti and vomit was found on the floor.

"We couldn't allow those conditions to go on. This building means a lot to the airport community, it means a lot to New York," DiFulco told The Daily News for Thursday editions.

The curator of the show, Rachel Ward, said the party spun out of control after more guests than expected showed up. But she said she had cleaned up the mess and had sent the Port Authority a letter requesting the exhibit be reopened.

Jet Blue, one of the exhibit's sponsors, was "crushed" by the show's closure but supported the Port Authority's decision, company spokesman Gareth Edmondson-Jones told The New York Times for Thursday editions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-08-27, 04:06 AM
Sounds like some downtown artsy types mistook our beloved and historical T5 for a Tribeca loft, good riddance!