PDA

View Full Version : JFK-BOS BOS-JFK. Cancelled Flight, missing pilots and delays

eric8669
2007-08-21, 12:37 PM
I went to Maine for the weekend Flew up and down on Jetblue into Boston.

My flight was originally scheduled for 10PM Friday night with arrival into Boston around 11:15. Around 6PM I received an automated message that my flight had been cancelled(I am guessing due to the weather) and to please call jetblue customer service. On the first attempt I get an automated message that the lines are full and to please try again later. Second attempt I get through to the message options. After waiting on hold for about 45 minutes I was able to speak with a customer service agent who was able to get me on the 10:45PM to Boston. Got through checkin and security with no problems. Get to the gate to find that the flight has been delayed till 11:15. 11:15 comes and goes and we still have not boarded. Turns out they could not find the Crew. Probably 20 minutes goes by and they decide to board the aircraft. Still no Flight Crew. The cabin is pretty hot at this time as the Air Conditioning has not been turned on. A pilot shows up and comes on the PA and says " I am not your pilot, but I will turn on the air conditioning" He does inform us that our crew is inbound on another flight. The Crew finally arrives probably around midnight. So we begin to taxi out 31L , not to long to get out to the runway this time of night, only a few departures ahead of us. I can see we are next in line for takeoff. A 747 departs in front of us, we begin to taxi into position and then we go right across the runway do a 360 turn and hold. The pilot comes on to inform us that the initial flight route we were going to take has been closed off and that the new flight plan needs to be put into the computer and that we would be under way shortly. Another 5 to 10 minutes goes by, the pilot comes back on again to say that the new flight route has also been closed off and we would have to hold for another 30-40 minutes, however the pilot informs us that the aircraft does not have enough fuel to wait that long so we would have to taxi back to the gate and get more fuel. At this point some of the passengers began to get pretty upset. We begin to taxi down 31L and the pilot comes back on and says the flight route has been reopened and we excellerated down the runway and took off. After a bumpy ride through some thunderstorms we finally arrived in Boston around 2AM and I pulled into Portland around 4AM.

Part II Bos-JFK

Return Flight to JFK was scheduled for 8:55PM. Got to the gate to find that the flight had been delayed until 9:15. 9:15 comes and goes. Gate agent comes on to say that there is a Ground Stop at JFK, but we are not affected and we would begin boarding shortly. He comes on not five minutes later and says it looks like we will not be boarding. He says there are only a certain amount of slots going into JFK at this time. Probably 20-30 minutes goes by and he says that a slot has opened up and that we would have to board quicky to make the slot or we would be delayed up to 3 hours. This was a E190 and not a full flight, we were able to board pretty quickly. The pilot comes on and says we are going to taxi out, but not depart. He just wants to be ready when the slot opens up. We get out to the runway and departed. Not to long of a delay. I arrived home just after midnight.

Eric

T-Bird76
2007-08-21, 01:45 PM
This is the exact reason I've stopped flying jetBlue...their operation has become a laughing stock. The simple fact that when you tried to call them you couldn't get through is a clear indication they've expanded to quickly and cannot accommodate their customers. How they could board you with no A/C is beyond me....what if someone had a breathing condition? If I were you Eric I'd use w/e free tickets you have from them and start flying someone else.

LGA777
2007-08-21, 02:49 PM
Eric, interesting report and I agree with Tommy about the airline B6 (and many other US carriers) have become. While I realize Eric chose these times based on his plans I just to want to say again to all who read this. If you book a flight on any US carrier during the summer months out of or into a NYC airport and your departure time has a PM in it then you have a better than not chance of encountering delays, possibily long and or problems including cancellations related to ATC, weather or both, as Eric did. If you can take a morning flight or at least very early afternoon your chances of things going smoothly at least triple. Just my two cents, because of my job I see it first hand and it's only getting worse ! Nice report Eric, next time you go to BOS why don't you give the good olde US Shuttle a try !

Cheers

LGA777

hiss srq
2007-08-21, 04:21 PM
Sounds like another day in the world of flying the NE corridors in the summer time. I am sorry to hear about your issues with B6 as well. They really have overstepped their own control lately and have alot of operational issues. I agree with Ron that you should come over and fly the flag sometime.

adam613
2007-08-21, 04:58 PM
http://www.amtrak.com

Art at ISP
2007-08-21, 06:39 PM
Eric, interesting report and I agree with Tommy about the airline B6 (and many other US carriers) have become. While I realize Eric chose these times based on his plans I just to want to say again to all who read this. If you book a flight on any US carrier during the summer months out of or into a NYC airport and your departure time has a PM in it then you have a better than not chance of encountering delays, possibily long and or problems including cancellations related to ATC, weather or both, as Eric did. If you can take a morning flight or at least very early afternoon your chances of things going smoothly at least triple. Just my two cents, because of my job I see it first hand and it's only getting worse ! Nice report Eric, next time you go to BOS why don't you give the good olde US Shuttle a try !
Cheers

LGA777

Ron,

Because he wants to get there within 5 days of his original schedule...

Sorry, just kidding I think..........

I actually may be back for a flight or two soon--for no other reason than I miss my friends....but will only do so when I am totally flexible in schedule.

Hope you and the family are well.

And please say hi to Ryan and the rest at LGA!

Best
Art

eric8669
2007-09-17, 03:37 PM
Just wanted add one more note to my report.

Following the arrival back into JFK, We didn't deboard the plane at Terminal 6, we didn't even use the Remote Gates. We deboarded the plane via airstairs in the rain at the jetblue hard stand area. We then were transported via bus back to the terminal. Even the pilot remarked that it was new for him to deboard over at the hard stand.

Eric

hiss srq
2007-09-17, 08:04 PM
Every day B6 JFK goes a little more down hill it appears. I have heard alot of horror stories from B6 guys jumpseating out of LGA when I am roaming the airport.